Re: [kantronics] Re: KP3+ failure to connect

  • Mark Hinkel
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2010
      Hi,

      I have the MT-1200G (Kantronics GPS tracker) and use a straight thru extension cable -- this is DB-9 male on one end and DB-9 female on the other. Pins 2 and 3 do not cross. In a null modem cable pin 2 on one end feeds pin 3 on the opposite end. And I use hyper-terminal to change the settings.

      Both types are available from multiple discount houses;

      Straight thru extension cables;
      http://www.matelectronics.com/acatalog/MAT_Electronics_80_103_406.html
      http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CB-397/6-SERIAL-CABLE-DB-9M-TO-DB-09F/1.html

      Null modem cable;
      http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CB-420/NULL-MODEM-CABLE-9/1.html

      This should be a 9 pin to 25 pin cable ??
      http://www.matelectronics.com/acatalog/MAT_Electronics_81_105_418.html

      Mark WA3QVU

      FYI:
      The male 9 pin reads left to right -- the female end reads right to left
      Top row 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, -- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,
      2nd row 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 8, 7, 6,

      On Nov 27, 2010, ml41782 <ml41782@...> wrote:

      Chris,

      your right on. Build your own cable. You only need three wires to test this. TX, RX and Ground, to verify the TNC is working.

      It sounds like you have a null modem cable. you could use an ohm meter and test pin to pin from one side to the other. If this is the case then you could wack off the DB9 and solder a new one on properly to work as a striaght through cable.

      You can also verify this if you had a null modem adapter to put in the line. or Just build your own.

      Mike K4MQF

      --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "tait700" <cscannel@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Kevin,
      >
      > No, nothing on the screen at all apart from the blinking cursor.
      > I purchased a ready made cable off the Evil bay and i am leaning toward that being the culprit.
      >
      > It stated that it was a serial printer extn cable with the correct plugs on both ends but maybe not wired the same as required.
      >
      > My next step is to make my own with a db25F and a db9f, 5 wires as per the manual to test out if this is the problem.
      >
      > If this does not work i will be fresh out of ideas.
      >
      > Thanks for your reply,
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Chris S.
      >
      > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "w7boz" <w7boz@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Do you get any character feedback in HyperTerm? Anything at all? Hard reset with cable connected. You should see something on the screen. If not, be sure your cable is 100%. Tell us how you built it. You do not need a speacial cable. Use a pre built one and see if works.
      > > Kevin
      > > W7BOZ
      > >
      > > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "tait700" <cscannel@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > Was wondering if anyone could possibly help me please with a small problem with the above unit ?
      > > >
      > > > i have just purchased this and am a complete beginner at packet radio but do have knowledge of computers and Two way radio.
      > > >
      > > > I have conected the unit to my XP laptop via a ready made db25 - db9 cable and an appropiate 12v power supply.
      > > >
      > > > Running Hyperterminal and using the settings suggested in the Kantronics manual i am unable to get the unit to converse with the computer at any level. I have tried a hard reset via the jumper change but cannot get the unit to respond with the Firmware details on screen as per the troubleshooting section in the manual.
      > > >
      > > > I purchased this second hand and it is possible that it is faulty but i have no way of testing it.
      > > >
      > > > Is it possible to determine if the unit is operating correctly by measuring the current being drawn via the 12v input and what would i expect to find in a functioning unit ?
      > > >
      > > > Any info would be appreciated regarding getting this to talk to my computer, i have not hooked it up to the radio as yet as i would like to fix one problem at a time and not add any other issues.
      > > >
      > > > Any and all replies greatly appreciated,
      > > >
      > > > Regards,

    • tait700
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 27, 2010
        Thanks Mark,

        I was waiting for a new 25 pin plug to arrive with its cover etc from an online store to make up a new lead but i might take your advice and just cut off the 9 pin plug off the new cable, and solder the wires that match up to the correct pins at the 25 pin end, onto the matching pins at the 9 pin end, as you suggested.

        Thanks for your reply,

        Cheers,

        Chris S.

        --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, Mark Hinkel <mrhinkel@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have the MT-1200G (Kantronics GPS tracker) and use a straight thru extension cable -- this is DB-9 male on one end and DB-9 female on the other. Pins 2 and 3 do not cross. In a null modem cable pin 2 on one end feeds pin 3 on the opposite end. And I use hyper-terminal to change the settings.
        >
        > Both types are available from multiple discount houses;
        >
        > Straight thru extension cables;
        > http://www.matelectronics.com/acatalog/MAT_Electronics_80_103_406.html
        > http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CB-397/6-SERIAL-CABLE-DB-9M-TO-DB-09F/1.html
        >
        > Null modem cable;
        > http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CB-420/NULL-MODEM-CABLE-9/1.html
        >
        > This should be a 9 pin to 25 pin cable ??
        > http://www.matelectronics.com/acatalog/MAT_Electronics_81_105_418.html
        >
        > Mark WA3QVU
        >
        > FYI:
        > The male 9 pin reads left to right -- the female end reads right to left
        > Top row 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, -- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,
        > 2nd row 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 8, 7, 6,
        >

        > On Nov 27, 2010, ml41782 <ml41782@...> wrote:
        >
        > Chris,
        >
        > your right on. Build your own cable. You only need three wires to test this. TX, RX and Ground, to verify the TNC is working.
        >
        > It sounds like you have a null modem cable. you could use an ohm meter and test pin to pin from one side to the other. If this is the case then you could wack off the DB9 and solder a new one on properly to work as a striaght through cable.
        >
        > You can also verify this if you had a null modem adapter to put in the line. or Just build your own.
        >
        > Mike K4MQF
        >
        > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "tait700" <cscannel@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Thanks Kevin,
        > >
        > > No, nothing on the screen at all apart from the blinking cursor.
        > > I purchased a ready made cable off the Evil bay and i am leaning toward that being the culprit.
        > >
        > > It stated that it was a serial printer extn cable with the correct plugs on both ends but maybe not wired the same as required.
        > >
        > > My next step is to make my own with a db25F and a db9f, 5 wires as per the manual to test out if this is the problem.
        > >
        > > If this does not work i will be fresh out of ideas.
        > >
        > > Thanks for your reply,
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Chris S.
        > >
        > > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "w7boz" <w7boz@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Do you get any character feedback in HyperTerm? Anything at all? Hard reset with cable connected. You should see something on the screen. If not, be sure your cable is 100%. Tell us how you built it. You do not need a speacial cable. Use a pre built one and see if works.
        > > > Kevin
        > > > W7BOZ

      • Mark Hinkel
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 28, 2010
          Hi Again,

          I don't know all the issues involved, maybe someone on here can elaborate....

          However I do know the so called "Smart Devices" typically use a null modem cable; the computer of course is a Smart Device, and many of the trackers are also Smart Devices. Like the popular "Tiny Track" by Byonics. http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/

          I've set them up before and I know they use a null modem cable. But my Kantronics MT-1200 uses a straight thru extension cable with no cross over on pins 2 and 3. As I understand, most Smart Devices use a "male" DB-9 or DB-25 (most I said) -- where as other units not considered Smart Devices use a "female" DB-9 or DB-25.

          Sooo... the straight thru cables are typically male/female, and the null modem cables are female/female. This is really easy to check with either an ohm meter or a just a continuity light. For those of us who have bifocals or reading glasses (I use a magnifying glass), the male pins read left to right. The female pins are just the opposite. Yes that is confusing; a null modem cable with female pins will have pins 2 and 3 swapped around from one end to the other. I use a small gauge wire or raid the wife's sewing box for thin needles... just poke the needle down into the female pin and touch the needles with leads from the ohm meter.

          Hope this helps identify a straight thru cable vers a null modem cable.

          Mark WA3QVU