Re: [kanczuga] Status update on Kanczuga research projects

  • MJTDDS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2012
      Hi Phillip, Good year to you. I received 2 of"THE GALITZIANER publications March and June 2012, No where in there is Kanczuga mentioned,was a bit dissapointed,since I was hoping to acquire some info of my family from there.
      If you are interested I probably can get pictures of my relatives tombstones that came from Kanczuga and are interred in Long Island Beth David and Beth Moses cemeteries Thurm Family.Let me know if you would want them and where to send them.
      Still hoping you can help me with a crucial [part of my past, You noted in your letter that afte rthe Yom tovim you would have some time.
      Thank you
      Myron Thurm

      In a message dated 10/19/2012 4:27:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, philip@... writes:

      As there have been a number of different research projects discussed here in the past months, I wanted to give a status update on them for everyone.

      -> Landmanshaftn Cemetery Photographs and Transcriptions

      I'm very happy to announce that we have photographs of all the graves in the two NY-area Kanczuga landsmanshaftn cemetery sections. I photographed the gravestones in the Mt. Lebanon cemetery in Iselin, NJ over the summer and Cheryl Sandler recently photographed the gravestones in the Mt. Zion cemetery in Maspeth, NY. While the graves are not yet transcribed, you can browse the photos for each cemetery and try to find graves of relatives there.

      Speaking of transcriptions I'd like to see if I can find one person who can coordinate the transcription efforts for the photos. The end-goal is to create spreadsheets with all the information on all the graves in each section, and submit them to JOWBR so they wil l be searchable on JewishGen. If more than one person can coordinate, then we can assign one person per cemetery. Coordinators should be able to read Hebrew at the least, and if you can understand and translate Hebrew engravings, all the better.

      I'm currently looking into some software that might help us coordinate the transcriptions, but I'm open to suggestions on how best to collect transcriptions on hundreds of gravestones. The simplest solution may be to just create a Google Docs spreadsheet and let people add transcription information to it based on the photograph file name.

      -> Kanczuga records in Poland and Ukraine

      The inventory process for Kanczuga records in Poland and Ukraine began last month (after the archive's summer break). Efforts have already started in the L'viv archives, and efforts in Przemsl will begin next month or December when the researcher Gesher Galica has hired there will have time to work on finding Kanczuga records. I will keep everyone updated as I hear more, but there is nothing else to report right now. This is not the fastest process clearly, but some of these records have been sitting there for over 200 years, so I think we can wait a few more months to get a full inventory of what is available, and then start copying and translating records.

      There has also been some interest in starting a connected project to try to create an inventory of records from the many villages that surrounded Kanczuga. Certainly anyone who had relatives from Kanczuga is likely to have many relatives from these surrounding villages. From my own research I can tell you the surnames immensely overlap. I have identified 20 villages and towns that surround Kanczuga and have direct connections to Kanczuga (through mentions in other records). I'm organizing the information on these villages, and we can start doing research on them as well, b ut I'd like to wait until we start seeing a bit more progress on the Kanczuga project itself. Keep in mind that this research will require additional fundraising, about $80/town just to do an inventory of what is available.

      -> CAHJP Files

      I mentioned previously the documents in the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People (CAHJP) that mention Kanczuga. I would like to find someone in Israel to help coordinate efforts to copy and translate those documents. Certainly knowledge of Polish would be helpful, but it can probably be handled without that, as we first need to work on getting the documents scanned, and then we will worry about getting them translated.

      I've set up a web page that lists the above projects and their current statuses in more detail, which is also where you can find links to the cemetery photos, here:

      If you have ideas for additional research projects for Kanczuga, or want to volunteer to be a coordinator of one of the current projects, please let me know either on this list, or directly via e-mail.

      All the best,

      Philip Trauring
    • Shelley K. Pollero
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 25, 2012
        Re Myron Thurm's comment in his post of Oct 20,

        > I received 2 of "THE GALITZIANER publications
        > March and June 2012, No where in there is Kanczuga mentioned,was a bit
        > dissapointed,since I was hoping to acquire some info of my family from there.

        It would be great if someone (Phillip?) would provide a quarterly update about the Kanczuga group and its research opportunities for publication in The Galitzianer (TheG). Unless something is submitted to TheG, nothing will be mentioned therein.

        The editor collects submitted material and produces the quarterly journal. It is up to those researching the towns to send in items of interest. Some of the articles are scholarly, personal recollections, trip reports, or small databases. However, any town or town group information would be greatly appreciated.

        Shelley

        Shelley K. Pollero
        Gesher Galicia Past President
        Gesher Galicia Board Member
        Severna Park, Maryland
        rkpollero@...
        geshergalicia@...
      • goldsmithjudith
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2012
          Dear Judy,

          I just joined this Yahoo group and I am excited about the research. I have family from Blazowa and Kanczuga. My grandmother's maiden surname was Geiger and the Geigers were from Blazowa. One of her sisters, Miriem Geiger, married Getzel Holoschitzer from Kanczuga. Another Geiger, One of my grandmother's brothers, Abraham Geiger (rabbi) married Sprynca or Sprinza Shtark from Kanczuga. Have you come across any of those names?

          Judy Goldsmith
          New Hampshire, USA