Re: [kanczuga] Photographing cemetery plots in the NY area

  • Cheryl Sandler
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2012
      Hi Philip --

      I don't know anything about Dropbox, but I would be happy to use it if you give me the details. I take pictures with an iPhone 4S, which has a really great resolution. I will do this project in the fall when the weather is cooler.

      Cheryl

      On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Philip Trauring <philip@...> wrote:

      Cheryl,

      That would be great. Do you use Dropbox? I can set up a folder there for you to upload the photos to. If not we can work something else out.

      Depending on how much work you want to do, I generally take two photos of each grave - one from a distance showing the full stone and it's immediate surroundings, and another close up of just the inscription. Also always make sure to check the backs of the stones as there can be inscriptions on both sides (in which case there would be three photos). If it's too much then the most important is the close-up of the inscription - this is about collecting the information of course.

      Since you have all the names and plot locations in that search, perhaps print it out and use it as a checklist to make sure you get all the graves.

      Don't worry about the size of the image files, there is plenty of space on DropBox and I can handle converting the photos into the smaller sizes required for uploading to JOWBR and FindAGrave.com.

      After we get the photos, one or more people can volunteer to do the transcriptions into an Excel file. I can post the images on a private site for this group, and people can transcribe from there. Once they are transcribed, those who know who the people are can add comments as to who is related to who (who is a spouse, child, etc. of other people listed).

      Philip

      On Jul 27, 2012, at 2:48 PM, Cheryl Sandler wrote:

      I am very familiar with that cemetery as both sides of my family are buried there. I would be happy to go there and take pictures. My Kanczuga relatives there are Silvermans and Birnbachs.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 27, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Philip Trauring <philip@...> wrote:

      I was wondering if anyone in this group who is in or near the NY area would be interested in doing an important project for the group.

      There are two Kanczuga landsmanshaft cemetery sections listed on the NYJGC web site:

      One is at the Mt. Zion Cemetery (in Maspeth, Queens) and one is at the Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (in NJ).

      The Mt. Zion Cemetery actually has a great search feature (http://www.mountzioncemetery.com/search.asp) and if you search for 'Kanczuger' in the Society field there are 196 burials listed there connected to the society.

      The surnames there include Einhorn, Frankel, Freund, Goldman, Langsam, Schiffman, Schupper, Silverman, Thurm, and much more...

      For Mt. Lebanon, it seems to be referring to the one in Iselin, NJ. I couldn't find a web site for the cemetery, but this web site has it's location and contact information:

      Neither of these Kanczuger sections are indexed in the Jewish Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR). Luckily the Mt. Zion section has all the burials listed on their site at least.

      What I'd like to see is if someone is willing to go to one or both of these cemeteries and take digital photos of all the gravestones in these sections. Once all the photos are collected, we can then transcribe all the information, and then submit the information to JOWBR, and also to FindAGrave.com. There is a lot of important information on gravestones, and this will help Kanczuger researchers now and in the future.

      Philip Trauring