Great news - we're going to start copying Kanczuga documents

  • Philip Trauring
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2012
      As some of you may remember, last year I discovered that there are property owner records for Kanczuga located in the Lviv archives for the years 1786-1788 and 1819-1820. I haven't seen the records, but there are hundreds of pages and considering the time period, these records do have the potential to pull back many people an extra generation in their genealogy. Last year I had trouble working things out with the archive, but now I have cleared things up and made arrangements to start the work in getting the documents copied through a partnership with Gesher Galicia.

      If we can raise $250, Gesher Galicia has agreed to match that amount, putting $500 towards the initial work (as part of http://www.jewishgen.org/galicia/CadastralMapProject.html). They will also be sending someone into the archive and searching to find out if there are other documents connected to Kanczuga, such as Cadastral Maps. We should know what is available soon, but in the meantime the property records are enough to get started, and I'd like to get the $250 raised quickly.

      Last year several of you offered to contribute to this effort, and I'd like to now direct you all to donate to Gesher Galicia to get things rolling. First, there were at least 4-5 of you that offered to contribute last year. I've already sent in $50 and I am going to ask that at least 4 of you contribute $50 each, bringing us to $250 and starting the project. It's likely in the long run there may be more money needed for indexing, etc. but let's get this done and figure out the rest as we go.

      The easiest way to contribute is via PayPal or Credit Card, using the instructions on this page:

      Basically, if you have a PayPal account you'll be sending the money to geshergalicia@.... In the note, you should indicate this project as:

      Kanczuga Cadastral Map Project

      If you can't pay online contact me and I can send you instruction for donating via check or money order.

      Once you have send in payment, please send me a copy of your paypal receipt (which should show up immediately) via e-mail (philip@...) so I can track what payments have been made. I will keep everyone informed as to the progress on this list.

      All the best,

      Philip Trauring
    • Shelley K. Pollero
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2012
        Hello!

        I'm a member of this group and I also administer Gesher Galicia's PayPal account. Re part of Philip's message that I copied below, when I receive your payment to www.paypal.com at geshergalicia@... (credit card or PayPal account), I will send you an acknowledgement of receipt of payment (with a copy of the PayPal receipt) AND I will copy Philip as well. It may just suffice to tell Philip that you made the donation since he will get a copy from me.

        Just make sure that you put Kanczuga Cadastral Map Project on the PayPal message.

        Philip wrote:
        >Once you have send in payment, please send me a copy of your paypal receipt (which should show up immediately) via e-mail (philip@...) so I can track what payments have been made. I will keep everyone informed as to the progress on this list.

        Shelley again:
        Speaking of donations, since Gesher Galicia is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization, your donation will be tax-deductible for U.S. taxpayers, and perhaps to others overseas, according to your tax laws.

        This is a win-win situation and it's great that Philip has initiated this town project. I look forward to hearing from you!

        Regards,

        Shelley K. Pollero
        Kanczuga group member
        Gesher Galicia