RE: [Kanczuga] Property Owners in Kanczuga (1786-1788 and 1819-1820)

  • Penny Kornstein
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2011
      Judy,
      I have written to you many times at the suggestion of Svea Illum in Brussels. She told me you have Bierfass members in the family tree you shared with her. I am a Bierfass relative.  I am not a stalker. I'm simply a woman in NY trying to reconnect my family. (Coincidentally while my teenage daughter is visting Poland this week.)

      If there is a reason you have not wanted to respond to my inquiries, would you please extend the courtesy of letting me know why?

      Penny Lieberman Kornstein

      To: kanczuga@yahoogroups.com
      From: J.C.Keiner@...
      Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:01:06 +0100
      Subject: Re: [Kanczuga] Property Owners in Kanczuga (1786-1788 and 1819-1820)

      I would be interested in contributing to the cost of getting copies of these documents. I wonder if it would also be a good idea to publicise this project on the Galicia-SIG list, since there may be quite a few people who are not yet subscribed to the Kanczuga group Yahoo list— and it would be a good opportunity to try to recruit some more members. It’s unclear of the extent to which indexing would be a substantial cost or not, since it’s unclear whether each of the documents contains the names of one or many property owners. I doubt if it will be possible to get a realistic estimate of the cost of indexing until we have some very  clear idea of the nature and complexity of information about named individuals in each of the documents.

      With best wishes

      Judy Keiner

      On 07/04/2011 13:34, "Philip Trauring" <philip@...> wrote:

      Based on the listing in the RTR database, I contacted the L'viv archives in the Ukraine about the lists of Property owners mentioned for Kanczuga.

      In response the L'viv archives has said they have the documents, which cover 1786-1788 and 1819-1820. The first set contains 18 documents which total 181 pages. The second set contains 25 documents totaling 335 pages. The cost given to get copies of all these documents (on disc) is $266.40 altogether.

      I'm wondering if others on this list are interested in contributing to getting these documents scanned and made available. If so, I also want to figure out under whose auspices we should carry this out. Perhaps Eden can comment as to if it's possible to get it done under the auspices of JRI-Poland. I can may also be able to arrange it through Gesher Galicia.

      Beyond getting the actual documents we will need to have them indexed. This is something JRI-Poland knows a lot about, but even if they cannot set this up as a project, presumably we can find someone to do this as well.

      Thoughts?

      Philip Trauring

    • Howard Nightingale
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2011

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2011
          If arrangements can be made, I would be happy to contribute to this project.

          Ron Schorr
        • Eden Joachim
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
            It is not my decision as to whether Jewish Records Indexing - Poland would
            want to be involved with the indexing of the Property Owners Records.
            Stanley Diamond, Executive Director, will have to be asked. Generally,
            JRI-Poland is interested only in vital records (B,M,V,D) or census(Books of
            Residents) records. The exception to this is when those types of records are
            not extant and other record types are the only types to exist for a town.

            My suggestion is that Philip Trauring organize the indexing of the records
            under discussion and that he contact Stanley Diamond as the coordinator and
            an interested party.

            There have been indexing projects for many years carried out by individuals
            or groups of individuals with an interest in a particular town who have
            privately acquired copies of indices or registers. Sometimes, the data is
            shared with JRI-Poland for inclusion in their database, where it can be
            viewed by many. Sometimes it is included on a ShtetLinks page where many can
            also view it. Sometimes it is published on an individual's website.
            Sometimes it is included in an article published in a relevant journal.

            Having been involved in this type of indexing project in the past and
            gearing up to coordinate another very large indexing project in the future,
            I would be happy to offer some personal insights.

            Eden Joachim
            esjoachim@...
          • jcymbler@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
              Many Kanczuga people actually lived in villages that later became Kanczuga, such as Pantelowice, Zuklin and others, There will be separate ln records for these areas.  They should first be inventoried.  jeff