Re: [kanczuga] Kanczuga connection

  • Philip Trauring
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2011
      Judith,

      I didn't notice the connection at first, but I was reviewing a letter written by a cousin some 25 years ago outlining what he knew about our family's history, and he mentions the following:

      "A fourth sister also came here; married name Holleshitz; later changed to Halley, a family of lawyers in N.Y."

      This was in reference to the children of Berisch and Chaya Sarah Hausman, who were from Rzeszow. The author of the letter didn't know the name of the woman, although her maiden name would have been Hausman. I do know the names of the sisters, just not which one married Holleshitz/Halley. I couldn't guess on the exact relationship between this person and the one your relative married, although it could have been the brother or nephew of the one your relative married. The Hausmans of that generation that I don't know who they married were born between 1865 and 1880, so depending on which side of that range it was, it could have been a brother or nephew. I should also add that the Hausman that I am related to married my gg-grandfather from Kanczuga.

      Philip

      On Feb 18, 2011, at 4:06 AM, goldsmit68 wrote:

      Hello. My great-aunt Mariem Geiger from Blazowa married Gershon Holishitzer or Hollischitzer from Kanczuga in 1902. When they immigrated to the USA the last name changed to Holly. He might have died by the name of Getzel Halley in 1933. Mariem was also called Manya and she died in 1946. The family lived in Manhattan. My cousin from that family tells me that Gershon or Getzel was a direct descendant of the Rabbi Elimelech of Lizinsk. Anyone have further information? Was Kanczuga a center for Hassidic culture? Thank you.

    • J.C.Keiner
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2011
        Re: [Kanczuga] Kanczuga connections Dear Kanczuga Groupies

        I have some Holoszycers in my family tree, and I think there may very well be a connection between “my” Holoszycers and the ones mentioned here.
        My maternal family are the Frommers of Kanczuga, of whom the oldest member so far identified is Moses Frommer, who is registered as dying in 1857 there aged 83, therefore born in 1774. He was married to Mindla. Mindlas appear in the families of descendants after 1856.

        One of Moses’ sons was Getzel (1802-1862), who married Czeska Goldmann.
        Getzel’s daughter Pessel (1818-1888) married Isak Holoszycer (1810-1890).
        The only male child registered of theirs was Mechel  (born 1858)
         I looked up the surname on the Ellis Island register and found a Moses Holochitzer born in what was clearly Kanczuga (albeit misspelt in the ship’s manifest). He arrived in the USA in 1905. And the ship’s manifest shows he was going to join his uncle Michael at 140 Rivington Street NY. So it seems clear to me that this is Mechel (for whom there’s no death record in the Kanczuga lists). Mechel married a Chana Kropf— also a descendant of Moses Frommer.

        “My” list of Holoszycers doesn’t include any sons other than a Nisan who died as an infant. Isak and Pessel also had girls Mala and Chane.
        There is a Getzel Holoszycer born 1876, the son of Jakob &  Ester (nee Jacobes). I presume this is the Getzel in your lists.
        But here’s a final connection that seems to me to establish the link back to the Getzel Frommer of 1801-1862.
        In the list of well over 2000 children whose births were registered in Kanczuga, there is only one other Getzel.
        That’s Getzel Tarnawker— the son of Joel Tarnawker--- and Mala Holoszyczer, who was the daughter of Isak Holoszycer and Pessel Frommer!
        They had a son, Pincas Tarnowker who also emigrated to the USA— and via the Galicia Sig list I’ve connected with his line of descent, who are these days called Tanner. David Tanner  was a former senior DuPont researcher and one of the inventors of Kevlar. This Pincas is listed as one of the founders of the First Kanczuga Aid Society, uploaded by Philip Traurig.

        There may well have been other boys who didn’t get registered— just as there is no birth registration of my grandfather Avraham Jeruchim, although his parents’ marriage and the births of a large number of brothers and sisters were not. I think male children sometimes didn’t get registered because of worries about conscription etc.

        There are certainly connections to the Chassidim in my family— I know it came from a Chassidic tradition. My gf Avraham Jeruchim was said to have been given that name after his parents David and Rivka Dvora had lost a series of baby boys/had miscarriages. They went to a Wunder Rebbe (wish I knew which one) who told them to call the boy who would be born Avraham Jeruchim.

        Rivka Dvora was a Meth of Blazowa. There are Meths listed as Rabbis in Rabbi Meir Wunder’s Sages of Galicia (5 volumes in Hebrew). I’ve only  had very limited opportunities to consult it, but haven’t been able to establish a clear link. I would love to know of other families from Kanczuga who have a Meth connection.

        The most tantalizing of my family’s Chassidic connection stories is that we are closely related to Rabbi Levi Yitzchok of Berditchev. This was told me by my uncle Sigi (Shmuel) who was born in Sadowa Wiszniya, where Avraham Jeruchim and his wife Cipora lived in the first years after their marriage. They then moved to Berlin circa 1905. In his old age, Sigi said he was told of this descent by his father — Avraham Jeruchim was a man of the utmost integrity who from everything I’ve been told about him would have been most unlikely to have made up such a story. He was born in 1869 and Rabbi Levi Yitzchok died in 1812, so he must have known at least some people from Levi Yitchok’s time. The story he told was that Rabbi Levi Yitzchok had visited or they had met and he had acknowledged them as his near relations. Sigi himself was deeply ashamed of his origins in Galicia— he even denied that he ever spoke Yiddish, whereas it was his mother tongue. So again, I don’t think he would have invented such a story, as he would any way have had little time for Chassidim. I was sceptical given that Berditchev is an awful long way from Kanczuga, and what would he have been doing there?

        But I subsequently got hold of a biog of Levi Yitzchok and it turns out that he was born in Husakow, which is about 20 miles from Kanczuga, and used regularly to visit his father’s grave there. His father Rabbi Meir was the Rabbi of Husakow. Meir is one of the recurrent family names. My uncle Sigi’s story was also that our name “Frommer” was taken as an equivalent of “Derbarmdiger”-- both translatable as “the compassionate” -- but also translatable as “chassidic”--ie “pious, righteous”. I did wonder if a forbear had married one of Levi Yitzchok’s daughters but I’ve been told that the names of the husbands of his daughters are all known, and Frommer isn’t one of them.
        There was a Rabbi Frommer who was based in Czortkow (a long way away), but there were people from this town who married into our known family. Again, I’ve not been able to establish a clear connection.

        Having started with a database of around 160 family names supplied by my cousin Dan Oz in Israel (a great grandson of David and Rivka Dvora Frommer), the real take-off for my Kanczuga research was when I got to buy an Excel spreadsheet of the 2700 names in the Kanczuga vital records for a payment of $100. I had to sign an undertaking not to give the database to anyone else. Maybe Eden Joachim can give guidance as to whether this fantastic resources can be uploaded to the Kanczuga group set up by Philip Traurig. I am surprised by her statement that Kanczuga resources are scarce, since I have been given to understand by Suzanne Wynne that the registers are one of the best and fullest of all those surviving in Galicia. I have never sent for any of the actual register entries— and I’m not sure what they add to the detailed information they give in the spreadsheet info. Perhaps some of you who have could tell me if they do.

        Combining that info with further searches on the Ellis Island Database and the Yad Vashem database means today I have a database of my own of about 1400 names associated with the Frommers of Kanczuga. I also found the transcribed Polish Business Directory of 1929 very useful. The Kanczuga entry listed many Frommers and known family connections.

        I have Thurms amongst the Kanczuga families Frommers or their married female descendants bore or married.

        There is a Max Frommer amongst the founders of the First Kanczuga Aid Society.   There is a large number of Max Frommers on my database. They are either Meirs or Mordechai— Moses and Mindla Frommer had sons who were given these names. He seemed to old to be the nearest one on my list—died in the 1980s. So I went back to the Ellis Island list and located a new Frommer. On the database he’s listed as a (Null) Frommer, ie no given first name.

        The ship’s manifest photo shows he’s a Mayer Frommer aged 32 in 1900, so born 1868 or 1869. He’s married, living previously in Sokolow and going to join a cousin N or H Schindelheim living at 195 Delancey Str NY (except it’s spelt “Delenzei”)
        http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=16900052700011052128&LNM=FROMMER&PLNM=FROMMER&bSYR=1857&bEYR=1871&first_kind=1&last_kind=0&RF=17&pID=104038010062&lookup=104038010062&show=%5C%5C192%2E168%2E100%2E11%5Cimages%5CT715%2D0140%5CT715%2D01400067%2ETIF&origFN=%5C%5C192%2E168%2E100%2E11%5CIMAGES%5CT715%2D0140%5CT715%2D01400068%2ETIF

        Schindelheims are also Frommer family relatives from Kanczuga. There is a Hersch Schindelheim  born in 1849 who married Sheindel Frommer for whom there are no births recorded— so possibly an indicator that they emigrated to the US in the 1860s or 70s. This could be the cousin.

        If anyone with access to the US records (ie immigration, census, social security) could try and find out more about this Mayer/Max Frommer who arrived in NY in 1900 and his Schindelheim cousin who was living at 195 Delancey Street, I’d be really interested to know. There are many Frommer descendants in the US, in Israel, and we have some in Argentina and Australia as well as England.

        I would also love to know if there is any more extant data about the First Kanczuga Aid Society and its members. Did they reserve a shared cemetery area?

        With best wishes

        Judy Keiner

        From London, England

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 20, 2011
          Judy,

          Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out any information about the society other than this document.

          My gg-grandafather Isaac Trauring, who is the first person listed in the list of directors, later left the US and returned to Europe (he felt there was not enough yiddishkeit in the US). He's buried in the Netherlands.

          I don't know exactly where his brother Marcus/Max Trauring, also in the document, is buried, however, I believe there may be a record for his wife Esther on JewishData.com. If anyone has a subscription to JewishData.com, perhaps they can shed some light on the exact location she is buried. It seems, based on the description in the free search results, that it might be Acacia Cemetery in Ozone Park, Queens. Does anyone on this list live in or near Queens?

          Does anyone else on the list know where others listed in the First Kanczuga Aid Society document are buried? By calling the cemeteries, we might be able to find out which section they're buried in and see if indeed the society bought a cemetery section. If that's the case then it  would seem the organization existed long enough to buy a cemetery section and might have other records existent someplace. If we can't find a cemetery section then I would guess the organization never really existed.

          Some Landsmanshaft, when they closed up, donated their records to YIVO. I checked with YIVO last year, however, and they had no records from any Kanczuga-related Landsmanshaft.

          It is possible some descendent of one of the people who ran the organization has a stack of boxes sitting in their basement...That's part of the reason I wanted to create this group, so everyone who has unique documents could share them with all interested researchers.

          I found the document from the First Kancziger Aid Society in this collection:

          and was able to get a copy sent to me from the AJHS. There may be other organizations listed there that can provide information on our ancestors. Galicia as a whole has dozens of organizations on that list. So does Austria-Hungary. It could be that the Kancziger society was swallowed up by one of these bigger organizations.

          All the best,

          Philip

          On Feb 20, 2011, at 1:20 AM, J.C.Keiner wrote:

          I would also love to know if there is any more extant data about the First Kanczuga Aid Society and its members. Did they reserve a shared cemetery area?

        • nightingale.howard
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2011
            Philip, when I was in the throes of garnering support for the restoration of the Siedlezcka cemetery, I contacted the last president of the society. He has since moved to Israel. His name is Jonathan Feldstein. His email contact is

            No1abba@...

            Howard Nightingale
            Toronto
            Looking for Goldman, Adler, Sauerhaft, Ziegler, Beim,

            --- In kanczuga@yahoogroups.com, Philip Trauring <philip@...> wrote:

            > Judy,
            >
            > Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out any information about the society other than this document.
            >
            > My gg-grandafather Isaac Trauring, who is the first person listed in the list of directors, later left the US and returned to Europe (he felt there was not enough yiddishkeit in the US). He's buried in the Netherlands.
            >
            > I don't know exactly where his brother Marcus/Max Trauring, also in the document, is buried, however, I believe there may be a record for his wife Esther on JewishData.com. If anyone has a subscription to JewishData.com, perhaps they can shed some light on the exact location she is buried. It seems, based on the description in the free search results, that it might be Acacia Cemetery in Ozone Park, Queens. Does anyone on this list live in or near Queens?
            >
            > Does anyone else on the list know where others listed in the First Kanczuga Aid Society document are buried? By calling the cemeteries, we might be able to find out which section they're buried in and see if indeed the society bought a cemetery section. If that's the case then it would seem the organization existed long enough to buy a cemetery section and might have other records existent someplace. If we can't find a cemetery section then I would guess the organization never really existed.
            >
            > Some Landsmanshaft, when they closed up, donated their records to YIVO. I checked with YIVO last year, however, and they had no records from any Kanczuga-related Landsmanshaft.
            >
            > It is possible some descendent of one of the people who ran the organization has a stack of boxes sitting in their basement...That's part of the reason I wanted to create this group, so everyone who has unique documents could share them with all interested researchers.
            >
            > I found the document from the First Kancziger Aid Society in this collection:
            >
            > http://www.jgsny.org/landsmanshaft/ajhs.htm
            >
            > and was able to get a copy sent to me from the AJHS. There may be other organizations listed there that can provide information on our ancestors. Galicia as a whole has dozens of organizations on that list. So does Austria-Hungary. It could be that the Kancziger society was swallowed up by one of these bigger organizations.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Philip
            >
            > On Feb 20, 2011, at 1:20 AM, J.C.Keiner wrote:
            > > I would also love to know if there is any more extant data about the First Kanczuga Aid Society and its members. Did they reserve a shared cemetery area?

          • pennyann21
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
              Some years ago someone in Belgium, Svea Illum (born in Brazil), who I believe is my cousin, sent to me information you provided to her. The information was from your family tree and showed Bierfass (Dora) and Zwanziger relatives on that tree. I believe Dora Bierfass was Svea's grandmother. My maternal grandmother's name was Tillie (Teba)Bierfass. She lived in Siedliska, Austria (later Poland) and based on my research, Zwanzigers are Bierfasses cousins. My grandmother came to the US in the early 1900s. By 1922 only four of her fourteen or so siblings came to the US. In the 1960s my great uncles brought a Bierfass sibling to the US from South America. No one has information about the rest of the Bierfass siblings, although a recently found cousin told us that after WWII he returned to Siedliska and found no one and my research shows many connections for me with Bierfass relatives throughout the US, Europe and Israel, but no no direct connections. Over the years I have written to you a number of times, sadly with no response. Perhaps you can check your family tree for my Bierfass relatives.

              Thank you in advance for your time.

              Penny Lieberman Kornstein