65Re: [Kanczuga] Two Kanczuga maps now available on Gesher Galicia web site

  • J.C.Keiner
    May 14, 2014
      Re: [Kanczuga] Two Kanczuga maps now available on Gesher Galicia web site

      Dear Philip

      Thanks for your latest Kanczuga update.

      As one of the contributors, I’ve found several family names on the 1849 Homeowners List which I would love to get the original files and/or plot records for.

      Here they are:

      Moses Frommer 200a

      Berko Frommer 200b

      Malka Frommer 142B

      Samuel Zellerkraut 190a, 190b

      Michal Tarnawski  190c

      With best wishes

      Judy

      On 14/05/2014 13:34, "Philip Trauring philip@... [kanczuga]" <kanczuga@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I’m very happy to announce that two maps of Kanczuga are now available on in the Gesher Galicia Map Room. They are:

      1849 Kanczuga Cadastral Map
      http://maps.geshergalicia.org/cadastral/kanczuga-1849/

      1937 Kanczuga Memory Map
      http://maps.geshergalicia.org/special/kanczuga-memory-1937/

      There has been a lot of behind-the-scenes work to get these maps available online. We have long been seeking a cadastral map of Kanczuga, and were overjoyed to find this map in the Przemysl Archives. Through a combination of work by the archive and Gesher Galicia, the map is now available for viewing.

      The memory map is a map drawn by Rabbi David L. Weinbach from his memory of Kanczuga, which was originally created for the Siedleczka Cemetary Restoration Project (http://siedleczka.org).

      For the cadastral map, we have what amounts to an index of the map, showing who owned which buildings and which plots of land, so you can look in the index and find your ancestor who lived in Kanczuga in 1849, and see visually on the map where they lived. To access the index, go to:

      http://search.geshergalicia.org

      and on the left side of the page under ‘Record Sources’ select:

      KaƄczuga Homeowners List (1849)

      You will then see a listing of the 255 records in that database. you can scroll through them, selecting ‘Next 40 results’ at the bottom of the page to see the next set of records.

      Otherwise you can search for your surname, and then select the database on the left to filter for just that database (if you get a result).

      Note that the current database only shows the house numbers, and not the land plot numbers. I know that the plot numbers are in the original data files, so if you’re interested in getting the original files and are one of the contributors to the Kanczuga research project, please let me know. I had hoped to get the files online as we did with earlier files, but the Gesher Galicia web site is very backed up when it comes to those kinds of updates, so let me know if you want the original 1849 files, or if you found a record in the database and want me to take a quick look to see if there is a plot number as well and I can check for you.

      I hope you’re all as excited as I was when I first found out we had finally found a cadastral map. I know the research had been slow, but this is evidence that we still have breakthroughs left to be made.

      All the best,

      Philip

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic