40Re: [Kanczuga] Photographing cemetery plots in the NY area

  • Philip Trauring
    Jul 28, 2012
      Judy,

      There are a number of ways of researching individuals in the US. I recommend reading an article I wrote last year on Finding Information on US Immigrants:

      Social Security data can be helpful, but depending on when the people died, they may not have been registered for Social Security. You have to be working after 1940 or thereabouts to get a social security number. If they do have a SS# then I would try to find them in the Social Security Death Index (SSDI), which is available for free from several sites, including FamilySearch.org. The SSDI can show where they were last living, where they received their SS# (i.e. what state they resided in when they applied) and more. Once you get their SS#, you can order their SS-5 application form, which should show the names of their parents. However, last year they changed the rules for accessing SS-5 forms and they now won't send the names of parents on an SS-5 form unless it's 100 years after their birth (it used to be 70 years). So if you order the records of anyone born after 1912, you'll get the SS-5 for but the parent's names will be whited out. Social Security records are expensive and time-consuming to access anyways, so it's better to use some of the resources listed in my article linked to above - naturalization papers, census records, passenger manifests, military draft cards, etc.

      All the best,

      Philip

      On Jul 27, 2012, at 2:53 PM, J.C.Keiner wrote:

      Dear Philip
      This is most interesting information. Living in London, I did not know that any of the NY Jewish cemeteries had been indexed. I have identified what may be the burials of some of my mother’s first cousins. However, there are several namesakes for each of them. So it would be extremely helpful to be able to refer to a digital image of the gravestones, especially as I do have some birth details for the ones I have identified. Other than via the gravestone, how does one find further information on the person identified? Via Social Security records via Ancestry.com?

      Thank you

      Judy Keiner

      On 27/07/2012 19:42, "Philip Trauring" <philip@...> wrote:
      I was wondering if anyone in this group who is in or near the NY area would be interested in doing an important project for the group.

      There are two Kanczuga landsmanshaft cemetery sections listed on the NYJGC web site:

      http://www.jgsnydb.org/searchcity_1.ASP?Enter+at+least+First+FOUR+Letters+of+City+Name=kanc

      One is at the Mt. Zion Cemetery (in Maspeth, Queens) and one is at the Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (in NJ).

      The Mt. Zion Cemetery actually has a great search feature (http://www.mountzioncemetery.com/search.asp) and if you search for 'Kanczuger' in the Society field there are 196 burials listed there connected to the society.

      The surnames there include Einhorn, Frankel, Freund, Goldman, Langsam, Schiffman, Schupper, Silverman, Thurm, and much more...

      For Mt. Lebanon, it seems to be referring to the one in Iselin, NJ. I couldn't find a web site for the cemetery, but this web site has it's location and contact information:

      http://www.aftercareplanning.com/mount-lebanon-cemetery/

      Neither of these Kanczuger sections are indexed in the Jewish Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR). Luckily the Mt. Zion section has all the burials listed on their site at least.

      What I'd like to see is if someone is willing to go to one or both of these cemeteries and take digital photos of all the gravestones in these sections. Once all the photos are collected, we can then transcribe all the information, and then submit the information to JOWBR, and also to FindAGrave.com <http://FindAGrave.com> . There is a lot of important information on gravestones, and this will help Kanczuger researchers now and in the future.

      Philip Trauring

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic