36Re: [kanczuga] Photographing cemetery plots in the NY area

  • Cheryl Sandler
    Jul 27, 2012
      I am very familiar with that cemetery as both sides of my family are buried there. I would be happy to go there and take pictures. My Kanczuga relatives there are Silvermans and Birnbachs.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 27, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Philip Trauring <philip@...> wrote:

      I was wondering if anyone in this group who is in or near the NY area would be interested in doing an important project for the group.

      There are two Kanczuga landsmanshaft cemetery sections listed on the NYJGC web site:

      One is at the Mt. Zion Cemetery (in Maspeth, Queens) and one is at the Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (in NJ).

      The Mt. Zion Cemetery actually has a great search feature (http://www.mountzioncemetery.com/search.asp) and if you search for 'Kanczuger' in the Society field there are 196 burials listed there connected to the society.

      The surnames there include Einhorn, Frankel, Freund, Goldman, Langsam, Schiffman, Schupper, Silverman, Thurm, and much more...

      For Mt. Lebanon, it seems to be referring to the one in Iselin, NJ. I couldn't find a web site for the cemetery, but this web site has it's location and contact information:

      Neither of these Kanczuger sections are indexed in the Jewish Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR). Luckily the Mt. Zion section has all the burials listed on their site at least.

      What I'd like to see is if someone is willing to go to one or both of these cemeteries and take digital photos of all the gravestones in these sections. Once all the photos are collected, we can then transcribe all the information, and then submit the information to JOWBR, and also to FindAGrave.com. There is a lot of important information on gravestones, and this will help Kanczuger researchers now and in the future.

      Philip Trauring

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic