Case Study: Kanban for IT Operations

  • Ian Carroll
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 18, 2011
      Hi All,

      I've published a small case study following a recent engagement of introducing Kanban to an IT Operations team of approx. 60 people:

      Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm happy to elaborate on any aspects that I've not covered on the site. I've been limited on time available to write this up so it's pretty rough and ready!

      Cheers,

      Ian.

      Ian Carroll
      Agile & Lean Coach
      07968 399947

    • danymorales17
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
        Great job on putting this together. I run the DBA team, how do you handle small jobs like Permission requests, daily DBA maitenance tasks like checking backups, jobs, etc...

        --- In kanbanops@yahoogroups.com, Ian Carroll <cazano7@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I've published a small case study following a recent engagement of introducing Kanban to an IT Operations team of approx. 60 people:
        >
        > http://itopskanban.wordpress.com
        >
        > Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm happy to elaborate on any aspects that I've not covered on the site. I've been limited on time available to write this up so it's pretty rough and ready!
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Ian.
        >

        > Ian Carroll
        > Agile & Lean Coach
        > 07968 399947
        > ian@...
        > www.iancarroll.com
        > http://about.me/ian.carroll

      • Joe Miller
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
          For daily tasks (that can't be automated) we have a box in the corner of our kanban board labeled 'Daily checklist' with checkboxes for Mon - Fri.

          There's a corresponding 'Daily Checklist tasks' page in the wiki with a simple 2-column table.  Left column has simple task name/description, and right column has more details including a link to another wiki page describing the details for that particular task.

          Responsibility for the daily checklist rotates to the primary on-call person for the week.  He/she is responsible for executing the checklist and marking the board when it's done.

          On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM, danymorales17 <danymorales17@...> wrote:

          Great job on putting this together. I run the DBA team, how do you handle small jobs like Permission requests, daily DBA maitenance tasks like checking backups, jobs, etc...

          --- In kanbanops@yahoogroups.com, Ian Carroll <cazano7@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I've published a small case study following a recent engagement of introducing Kanban to an IT Operations team of approx. 60 people:
          >
          > http://itopskanban.wordpress.com
          >
          > Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm happy to elaborate on any aspects that I've not covered on the site. I've been limited on time available to write this up so it's pretty rough and ready!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Ian.
          >

          > Ian Carroll
          > Agile & Lean Coach
          > 07968 399947
          > ian@...
          > www.iancarroll.com
          > http://about.me/ian.carroll

        • danymorales17
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
            ok, we kind of do that, we have a Backlog item with all the different daily tasks but often times the person doing the daily tasks is also the one responsble for the small DBA tasks like permission requests, sql deployments, other tasks that take 30 mins or less. Once these requsts start coming in, the focus is lost on the daily tasks.

            I must of missed it but what is the minimum task that you put on the board, 30 mins, 1 hour, 5 mins?

            -Dany

            --- In kanbanops@yahoogroups.com, Joe Miller <joeym@...> wrote:

            > For daily tasks (that can't be automated) we have a box in the corner of
            > our kanban board labeled 'Daily checklist' with checkboxes for Mon - Fri.
            >
            > There's a corresponding 'Daily Checklist tasks' page in the wiki with a
            > simple 2-column table. Left column has simple task name/description, and
            > right column has more details including a link to another wiki page
            > describing the details for that particular task.
            >
            > Responsibility for the daily checklist rotates to the primary on-call
            > person for the week. He/she is responsible for executing the checklist and
            > marking the board when it's done.
            >
            > On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM, danymorales17 <danymorales17@...>wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Great job on putting this together. I run the DBA team, how do you handle
            > > small jobs like Permission requests, daily DBA maitenance tasks like
            > > checking backups, jobs, etc...
            > >
            > > --- In kanbanops@yahoogroups.com, Ian Carroll <cazano7@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi All,
            > > >
            > > > I've published a small case study following a recent engagement of
            > > introducing Kanban to an IT Operations team of approx. 60 people:
            > > >
            > > > http://itopskanban.wordpress.com
            > > >
            > > > Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm happy to elaborate on any
            > > aspects that I've not covered on the site. I've been limited on time
            > > available to write this up so it's pretty rough and ready!
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > >
            > > > Ian.
            > > >

            > > > Ian Carroll
            > > > Agile & Lean Coach
            > > > 07968 399947
            > > > ian@
            > > > www.iancarroll.com
            > > > http://about.me/ian.carroll

          • Joe Miller
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
              our rule of thumb is >1 hour goes on the board, less can just be done by the admin at his discretion.  He/she can choose to cut a ticket and stick it on the board instead though, which would usually occur if it can't be done immediately.

              The daily tasks have to be done, if they weren't I would assume you guys wouldn't bother to track and do them, so I would try to find a way to give that DBA the breathing room he needs to focus and complete the dailies. Or maybe assign to someone else who has the capacity to focus on the dailies until their done, if the interrupt-driven DBA really must respond to the other requests first.

              On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM, danymorales17 <danymorales17@...> wrote:

              ok, we kind of do that, we have a Backlog item with all the different daily tasks but often times the person doing the daily tasks is also the one responsble for the small DBA tasks like permission requests, sql deployments, other tasks that take 30 mins or less. Once these requsts start coming in, the focus is lost on the daily tasks.

              I must of missed it but what is the minimum task that you put on the board, 30 mins, 1 hour, 5 mins?

              -Dany

              --- In kanbanops@yahoogroups.com, Joe Miller <joeym@...> wrote:

              > For daily tasks (that can't be automated) we have a box in the corner of
              > our kanban board labeled 'Daily checklist' with checkboxes for Mon - Fri.
              >
              > There's a corresponding 'Daily Checklist tasks' page in the wiki with a
              > simple 2-column table. Left column has simple task name/description, and
              > right column has more details including a link to another wiki page
              > describing the details for that particular task.
              >
              > Responsibility for the daily checklist rotates to the primary on-call
              > person for the week. He/she is responsible for executing the checklist and
              > marking the board when it's done.
              >
              > On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM, danymorales17 <danymorales17@...>wrote:
              >
              > > **

              > > Great job on putting this together. I run the DBA team, how do you handle
              > > small jobs like Permission requests, daily DBA maitenance tasks like
              > > checking backups, jobs, etc...
              > >
              > > --- In kanbanops@yahoogroups.com, Ian Carroll <cazano7@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi All,
              > > >
              > > > I've published a small case study following a recent engagement of
              > > introducing Kanban to an IT Operations team of approx. 60 people:
              > > >
              > > > http://itopskanban.wordpress.com
              > > >
              > > > Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm happy to elaborate on any
              > > aspects that I've not covered on the site. I've been limited on time
              > > available to write this up so it's pretty rough and ready!
              > > >
              > > > Cheers,
              > > >
              > > > Ian.
              > > >

              > > > Ian Carroll
              > > > Agile & Lean Coach
              > > > 07968 399947
              > > > ian@
              > > > www.iancarroll.com
              > > > http://about.me/ian.carroll

            • Ian Carroll
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
                They use a daily time-box of 1hr 30 mins. The team use an electronic ticketing system called Infra in conjunction with the physical board. Each day they stick a physical card in the input column called "Infra Tickets". Each day at 1pm the team pull the card into WIP and hit the Infra queues for the types of tasks you mention below. For each task completed they keep a gated tally on the "Infra Tickets" card. Each of the jobs completed from Infra counts towards the throughput stats. As I state on the case study, there are a few problems with the system and this is potentially one of them. The risks of using this approach could drive bad behaviours when stakeholders figure out how to game the system:

                1) the potential to bypass the prioritisation mechanism
                2) hidden work in an electronic system not being visible
                3) team members cherry picking work instead of working on the most valuable work
                4) the team are back into making prioritisation calls and taking responsibility for this
                5) potentially creating a route for stakeholders to sneak work past the prioritisation mechanism

                BUT, the reality is none of these behaviours have manifested as yet. As the team are more productive their queues are lower. As they're lower the team have a much more holistic view of the landscape around them. A better view means they are acutely aware of the points above and why its important to avoid these issues from taking hold. Basically, more thinking space. The team also have a rule that if any single ticket in Infra can't be completed within the daily time-box then a physical card is created and put in the backlog for prioritisation.

                So, why bother creating a physical card for the daily time-box? Because it's highly visible and a great way to represent the daily capacity that is reserved for these small, but important tasks, that otherwise would be too much of an overhead to create a card for. In a way its a class of service.

                Cheers,

                Ian.

                On 8 Nov 2011, at 21:29, danymorales17 wrote:

                Great job on putting this together. I run the DBA team, how do you handle small jobs like Permission requests, daily DBA maitenance tasks like checking backups, jobs, etc...

                --- In kanbanops@yahoogroups.com, Ian Carroll <cazano7@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > I've published a small case study following a recent engagement of introducing Kanban to an IT Operations team of approx. 60 people:
                >
                > http://itopskanban.wordpress.com
                >
                > Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm happy to elaborate on any aspects that I've not covered on the site. I've been limited on time available to write this up so it's pretty rough and ready!
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Ian.
                >

                > Ian Carroll
                > Agile & Lean Coach
                > 07968 399947
                > ian@...
                > www.iancarroll.com
                > http://about.me/ian.carroll

              • danymorales17
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 2011
                  Thanks for the all the feedback. I think the best thing to do is prioritize time for the daily tasks as well as our small tasks that come in throughout the day. Just like you said, there will be times where the end user will scream if his/her request is not handle immediately. I will just have to work with them.

                  thanks

                  -Dany