Is there a Kanban Process?

  • David Anderson
    Message 1 of 67 , Oct 10, 2010
      Hi Folks,

      I've been catching up on the volume of recent posts to this list. I'm afraid that I find it all terribly disheartening. I've clearly failed as a leader in this community. I have struggled to articulate the ideas with Kanban over the years but I honestly thought things were improving and that the quality of information available was bringing the community to better mutual understanding. What I've read frmo this list over the past 2 weeks suggests that I was premature in thinking this.

      It seems that even fairly regular contributors and leading folks in our community have failed to internalize what is perhaps the most core basic idea in what we are doing with Kanban. It is something that I've been saying since 2005 and Corey Ladas repeated in 2008. Yet it seems we cannot say it loud enough or often enough...

      Kanban is NOT a software development life cycle or project management methodology! It is not a way of making software or running projects that make software!

      You apply a kanban system to an existing software development process (such as Extreme Programming, or Personal Software Process, or a traditional SDLC). In doing so, it may be disruptive to your existing project management method. It will change the project management planning, coordination and reporting.

      Use of a kanban system is not possible unless there is an existing development process in use.

      The Kanban Method is an approach to change management that employs a kanban system on to an existing process context in order to provoke evolutionary/incremental change. This is best done when a scientific approach based on models such as the Theory of Constraints, Theory of Profound Knowledge, Lean Waste model, and so on, is used.

      When people talk about doing Kanban in preference to Scrum, for example, with maintenance work, they are actually suggesting that an alternative project management method is adopted that involves the mechanics of a kanban system. Underlying this there must be a software development method. This software development method is usually left as an exercise for the reader as it is never explained, or is perhaps so simple/basic/traditional as to remain unstated. And perhaps that is okay. However, we need to understand that these implementations represent a personal choice, and are unique in their own right. Such implementations do not represent a generic "kanban" prescription.

      There is no kanban process for software development. At least I am not aware of one. I have never published one. Nor has Corey Ladas. If someone knows of one, perhaps you could provide a reference/url so that we can read about it? Perhaps this would help us all understand what we're all talking about on this list?

      David
      http://www.djandersonassociates.com/
      Author of "Kanban - Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business"
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 67 of 67 , Oct 16, 2010
        Hi Ron:

        I think you got that slightly wrong. Every tool has just one purpose:
        entertaining the cat. Exception: cat toys.

        Cheers, Ilja

        2010/10/12 Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>:
        > Hello, Adam.  On Tuesday, October 12, 2010, at 3:26:12 AM, you
        > wrote:
        >
        >> Actually, most tools have precisely one purpose. In order to use a
        >> tool effectively you have to know both what its purpose is and how to
        >> use it.
        >
        > Yes. Most tools have precisely one purpose: usually pounding on
        > things. There are exceptions:
        >
        > Hammer: pounding on things. Also can put things together, take
        > things apart. Good for fixing dents in things. Opening stuck
        > drawers. Can be used as lever to lift things.
        >
        > Screwdriver: pounding on things, especially when you need a small
        > point of impact. Turns screws (one way in some cases). Opens paint
        > cans. Took the case off my iPad with one.
        >
        > Power drill: drilling holes. making holes bigger. power-brushing
        > metal items. Sharpens screwdrivers. Turns screws (both ways in some
        > cases). Never used one on my iPad. Yet.
        >
        > Pen: pounding (well, tapping) on tables. Writing birthday cards and
        > a million other things. Resetting my iPad. Drawing pictures, poorly.
        >
        > Laser pointer: Only one purpose, entertaining the cat. Briefly. Cats
        > are fickle.
        >
        > Cats: no purpose. A cat is not a tool.
        >
        > Ron Jeffries
        > www.XProgramming.com
        > www.xprogramming.com/blog
        > Agility is not an inescapable law of purity
        > but a pragmatic principle of effectiveness. -- Marc Hamann

        Ilja Preuß

        it-agile GmbH
        Toni-Schmid-Str. 10 b, D-81825 München

        Geschäftsführer: Henning Wolf, Jens Coldewey
        Handelsregister Hamburg, HRB: 92261
        Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE239483021

        Mobile: +49 151 52807539
        E-Mail: ilja.preuss@...

        http://www.it-agile.de