Re: Kanban in multi-project team

  • Jeffrey Cameron
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 1, 2010
      That's a very interesting idea Eric. I think I will do that, it will cut down on the number of swimlanes/parking lots in my design! I'll game it out with them and see what they think. Sadly my whiteboard probably won't arrive for a couple of weeks (the joys of working for government) so I'll have some time to play out scenarios with them beforehand.

      ===
      Posted through Grouply
      Create your own group!
      www.grouply.com

      --- Original message posted by Eric Willeke <eric.willeke@...> on 2010-08-31 18:07:25 ---

      Don't specify the "how", just put the "need" into a policy: A feature is not done until it's been reviewed by a peer. (ala "definition of done"). See what behaviors emerge for getting the work done. If the team finds it best to have one person always reviewing, so be it! If it's a rotating review, or a "next person that stands up gets it", that's fine too. You don't have to define everything, just the requirements at the interface (which is "done").

      On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Jeffrey Cameron <jeffreycameron@...> wrote:

      Right, so how do I get to my goal?

      Ideally, I want someone else to review code (obviously, you shouldn't review your own). So how do I arrange my workflow to do something like

      "before I can mark my feature or bug complete, I have to do a quick code review of someone else's code"?

      Any ideas?

      --- Original message posted by Siddharta Govindaraj <siddharta@...> on 2010-08-30 20:03:42 ---

      On 30-Aug-10 5:11 PM, x97mdr wrote:
      > I want to have individual swimlanes for developers at first so that I can limit the work that each does based on capability, as well as ensure that they are working on their particular "project of expertise" if they can be. This would be done to maximize throughput.
      >
      > Each of the developers currently has a project(s) that they are responsible for. I'd like to spread out their knowledge more but that will take time. Until that time I need a way to see who is getting slack time and who is working to the limit, this will let me decide who to add to a project that is new to them and when.

      Yes, but the same developers do code review & qa also.. so if there is a
      card under code review or qa then there will be a developer working on
      it, but it won't show up in that dev's column... right?

      --
      Siddharta Govindaraj
      http://ToolsForAgile.com

    • Eric Willeke
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 1, 2010
        You don't need to wait for the board, btw... Strap some electrical or blue masking tape to the wall and get started... you can evolve super-rapidly while you're waiting ;)