Re: [kanbandev] digital kanban tools for software engineering?

  • Chris Hefley
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi Emil,
        Try out LeanKit Kanban.  You can get a 1 board, 5 user account for Free.

      http://LeanKitKanban.com

      On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:58 AM, emil_vikstrom <ejmull@...> wrote:

      Hi

      Do you know of a list of currently known Kanban system visualization tools for software engineering?

      Which would you recommend?

      Regards

      Emil

    • Biju vv
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
        VersionOne has taskboard which can be customized too.

        To: kanbandev@yahoogroups.com
        From: indomitablehef@...
        Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:18:42 -0600
        Subject: Re: [kanbandev] digital kanban tools for software engineering?

        On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:58 AM, emil_vikstrom <ejmull@gmail. com> wrote:

        Hi

        Do you know of a list of currently known Kanban system visualization tools for software engineering?

        Which would you recommend?

        Regards

        Emil

        http://windows.microsoft.com/shop Find the right PC for you.
      • emil_vikstrom
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
          LeanKit Kanban looks promising. However I need a fully customizable board including swimlanes and multi tiers and it must support more than 300 "notes" on the board, for example by zooming in on different parts of the board.

          It would be nice to have excel import/export or better like a database interface.

          I assume there i no tool up to these reqs yet =)

          VersionOne seem to locked on scrum and iterations although I remember we discussed kanban support in versionone in this group.

          Where are all the representatives from companies? ;-)

          Emil

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
            I'm actually the President of Bandit Software, the makers of LeanKit Kanban.

            We're currently working hard on swimlanes - our goal is to deploy the first version within the next two weeks, and the be the first Kanban tool on the market to provide a good implementation of this feature.  LeanKit does support a native "zoom out", (click the "+" or "-" icon on the board itself) and you can see even more on the board by using the browser's zoom feature - usually accessed by holding down the CTRL key and using your mouse's scroll-wheel to zoom in or out.

            You can export the entire history of every "event" that happens on the board to excel (card created, card moved, user assigned, WIP limit override). In a (near) future release, we are going to include an excel export for each of our diagrams under the analytics area, so that you can export the raw data used to create the diagram to excel. And we're adding more diagrams: Card distributions should be deployed this week, and Lead Time and Cycle time will be top of our priority list as soon as swimlanes are in place.

            We're adding features regularly, so keep watching. Feedback and suggestions from members of this group would be greatly appreciated, either here, or on our UserVoice forum. Click the "Feedback" button at http://LeanKitKanban.com

            And if any of you are going to be at qCon San Francisco in a couple of weeks, please stop by our booth and see us.

            Thanks
            Chris Hefley
            President
            Bandit Software, LLC
            http://LeanKitKanban.com

            On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:41 AM, emil_vikstrom <ejmull@...> wrote:

            LeanKit Kanban looks promising. However I need a fully customizable board including swimlanes and multi tiers and it must support more than 300 "notes" on the board, for example by zooming in on different parts of the board.

            It would be nice to have excel import/export or better like a database interface.

            I assume there i no tool up to these reqs yet =)

            VersionOne seem to locked on scrum and iterations although I remember we discussed kanban support in versionone in this group.

            Where are all the representatives from companies? ;-)

            Emil

            > VersionOne has taskboard which can be customized too.
            >
            > To: kanbandev@yahoogroups.com
            > From: indomitablehef@...

            > Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:18:42 -0600
            > Subject: Re: [kanbandev] digital kanban tools for software engineering?

            > Hi Emil,
            > Try out LeanKit Kanban. You can get a 1 board, 5 user account for Free.
            >
            > http://LeanKitKanban.com
            >
            > On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:58 AM, emil_vikstrom <ejmull@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >

            > Do you know of a list of currently known Kanban system visualization tools for software engineering?
            >

            > Which would you recommend?
            >

            > Regards
            >

            > Emil

            > Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.

          • Eric Willeke
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
              Community should also find interesting about Chris' company is that they actually seem to be using a continuous community multivote for feature selection... very nice setup!

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                Ok sounds very good. I really like your user interface.

                Basically I would like to draw my own board with the freedom as if I was drawing on a spreadsheet or on a physical board.

                For us there is a long way until we throw out other project management applications so I would personally like to see great focus on the board as a visualization tool and less on a planning and tracking tool of future/done work. Naturally if it was good enough there is nothing saying it would not take hold in my org.

                Exporting where different "notes" currently are in the flow is however appreciated asap.

                Emil

                --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hefley <indomitablehef@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > <biju_v_v@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > VersionOne has taskboard which can be customized too.
                > > >
                > > > To: kanbandev@yahoogroups.com <kanbandev%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > > From: indomitablehef@
                > >
                > > > Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:18:42 -0600
                > > > Subject: Re: [kanbandev] digital kanban tools for software engineering?

                > > > Hi Emil,
                > > > Try out LeanKit Kanban. You can get a 1 board, 5 user account for Free.
                > > >
                > > > http://LeanKitKanban.com
                > > >
                > > > On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:58 AM, emil_vikstrom <ejmull@> wrote:

                > > > Hi
                > > >

                > > > Do you know of a list of currently known Kanban system visualization
                > > tools for software engineering?
                > > >

                > > > Which would you recommend?
                > > >

                > > > Regards
                > > >

                > > > Emil

                > > > Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.

              • Christophe Louvion
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                  my teams have been playing with AgileZen
                  early tool, but good start.
                  Developers are open to share what they are working on and getting
                  feedback from customers.

                  emil_vikstrom wrote:

                  > Hi
                  >
                  > Do you know of a list of currently known Kanban system visualization
                  > tools for software engineering?
                  >
                  > Which would you recommend?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Emil

                • Janice Linden-Reed
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                    Others:

                    Silver Catalyst: http://www.toolsforagile.com/

                    Target Process:  http://www.targetprocess.com/

                    Trichord: http://trichord.change-vision.com/en/index.html

                    Mingle, though not advertised as a kanban tool, also can work: http://studios.thoughtworks.com/mingle-agile-project-management

                    -Janice

                    emil_vikstrom wrote:

                    > Hi
                    >
                    > Do you know of a list of currently known Kanban system visualization
                    > tools for software engineering?
                    >
                    > Which would you recommend?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Emil

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       mailto:kanbandev-digest@yahoogroups.com
                       mailto:kanbandev-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Ryan Kelley
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009

                      We have also been using AgileZen on our team. We are really liking it and the friction is very low.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 4, 2009
                        Do any of these tools support swimlanes/parallell teams?

                        Emil