Re: Lean / Kanban Conference - The hangover

  • David J Anderson
    Message 1 of 55 , May 11 12:41 PM
      (1) As Corey pointed out on Twitter - lots of Cumulative Flow diagrams, very few control charts. This indicates that while Kanban teams can get to high maturity, very few are there yet. I want to encourage this trend and get more teams to a Quantitatively Managed state of maturity. Alisson Vale and Phidelis are definitely there - even though they aren't using control charts.

      (2) Classes of Service and Risk Management are the big important topics going forward. Dean Leffingwell's language of "allocate rather than prioritize" resonated with me and better articulates what I'd been saying about setting WIP limits on classes of service. Lots more to come on this topic going forward...

      David

      --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, "chrismatts1968" <chrismatts1968@...> wrote:

      > Mike Cottmeyer has done a great set of blog posts that summarise the conference. ( http://www.leadingagile.com/2009/05/lk2009-alan-shalloway-closing-keynote.html Look at the Blog history bottom/right ).
      >
      > For those who attended, I would be grateful if you could share the one or two nuggets that you took away from the conference. I'm hoping people picked up different things.
      >
      > A lurker and listener.

    • Brian Marick
      Message 55 of 55 , May 16 10:01 AM
        Huh. Thanks for the correction. I could have sworn I learned it was a
        normal distribution.

        On May 16, 2009, at 11:35 AM, David J Anderson wrote:

        > Be careful talking about distribution and control charts. Control
        > charts do not use a normal distribution or the standard deviation
        > confidence intervals. They are based on Shewhart's distribution
        > developed in the late 1920s based on empirical observation of
        > manufacturing activities. The 3 Sigma upper limit in a control chart
        > is based on the 3rd confidence interval against Shewhart's
        > distribution.

        -----
        Brian Marick, independent consultant
        www.exampler.com, www.exampler.com/blog, www.twitter.com/marick