Craft Model; was Re: Is anybody doing it?

  • David J Anderson
    Message 1 of 98 , Sep 9, 2007
      Thanks Kenji!

      It is clear that reducing division of labor is helpful where possible.
      And it will reduce WIP - primarily because it eliminates buffers to
      smooth handoffs. However, elimination of division of labor isn't
      always possible or desirable (given scale or other economic factors
      e.g. offshore labor arbitrage).

      I'm not against division of labor. I'm pragmatic. I see it for what it
      is and for me kanban has been a way to produce a lot of improvement
      despite division of labor.

      It is this aspect of kanban which I feel really enhances the agile
      literature - most of what we know about agile so far has focused on a
      return to craftsmanship and elimination of division of labor. For many
      larger scale IT shops with folks with titles like "analyst" agile has
      failed to fully resonate. I'm hoping kanban systems provide a solution
      for some of these situations.

      David

      --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, Kenji HIRANABE <k-hiranabe@...> wrote:

      > Keith,
      >
      > I facilitated the session with Mary Poppendieck, where I showed and
      translated
      > the video :-), hello!
      >
      > In the video they introduced Yatai production method with
      > "multi-skill development" and
      > "multi-process handling by one person" (which is against division of
      labor),
      > for the key solution to reducing WIP.
      >
      > One of other ways of reducing WIP is a Kanban system and you can use
      > Kanban in conjunction with Yatai, for example using Kanban
      > between local Yatai's.
      >
      > In the body of knowledge of TPS, both "multi-skill development" and
      "Kanban" is
      > placed under the bigger concept of "Just-In-Time" flow, which can be
      > paraphrased as "when needed, what's needed, as many as needed".
      >
      > Sorry, a bit off topic, just wanted to support your message context,
      > and some more info of TPS.
      >
      > -Kenji

      > >One of the interesting things that I saw in one of Mary Poppendieck's
      > >Agile 2007 sessions was a film about the introduction of the Toyota
      > >Production Process to a Sanyo cell-phone plant. The first intervention
      > >by the TPP expert (removing the conveyer belt at the end of the line)
      > >failed, but the second one (having a single person do six assembly
      > >tasks instead of six people doing one task each) was successful.
      > >
      > >Seems like that was a move _away_ from division of labor.
      > >
      > >--
      > >C. Keith Ray
      > ><http://industriallogic.com>http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336
      (toll free)

      ><http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/blog/index.html>http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/blog/index.html

    • Steve Freeman
      Message 98 of 98 , Sep 14, 2007
        On 9 Sep 2007, at 08:16, David J Anderson wrote:
        > The industry and the market does not demand enough of our profession.

        +1

        Steve Freeman

        http://www.m3p.co.uk

        M3P Limited.
        Registered office. 2 Church Street, Burnham, Bucks, SL1 7HZ.
        Company registered in England & Wales. Number 03689627