Re: [ANN] Kanban Coaching Professional (KCP) - new from Lean-Kanban University

  • David Anderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2012
      Correcting the typo in the title of this email. The program is called Kanban Coaching Professional. ;-)

      I believe many people on this list will wish to become KCPs. I believe this is an important step forward in the maturity of the Kanban community and our ability to serve the wider market with quality leadership of improvement initiatives.

      --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, "David Anderson" <netherby_uk@...> wrote:

      > Big announcement from Lean-Kanban University today. This happened as a direct response to discussions on this list when the Accredited Kanban Trainer program was announced in February...
      >
      > http://www.leankanbanuniversity.com/lku-kcp

    • Joseph Hurtado
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 17, 2012
        David,

        How does the KCP differ from the Kanban Trainer that was previously available via LKU?

        Cheers,

        Joseph Hurtado
        Founder Agile Lion Corp.
        Agile Consulting and Development Services
        @agilelioncorp

        Sent from my iPad

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 17, 2012
          AKTs can teach accredited Kanban classes using the officially approved curriculum. KCPs are trusted coaches and advisors. They cannot offer accredited training.

          David

          --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Hurtado <joseph@...> wrote:

          > David,
          >
          > How does the KCP differ from the Kanban Trainer that was previously available via LKU?
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Joseph Hurtado
          > Founder Agile Lion Corp.
          > Agile Consulting and Development Services
          > @agilelioncorp
          >
          > Sent from my iPad
          >
          > On Aug 16, 2012, at 6:34 PM, "David Anderson" <netherby_uk@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Correcting the typo in the title of this email. The program is called Kanban Coaching Professional. ;-)
          > >
          > > I believe many people on this list will wish to become KCPs. I believe this is an important step forward in the maturity of the Kanban community and our ability to serve the wider market with quality leadership of improvement initiatives.
          > >
          > > --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, "David Anderson" <netherby_uk@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Big announcement from Lean-Kanban University today. This happened as a direct response to discussions on this list when the Accredited Kanban Trainer program was announced in February...
          > > >
          > > > http://www.leankanbanuniversity.com/lku-kcp

        • Doug Boling
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 17, 2012
            I would assume that a company that has submitted a curriculum that is AKT approved could have an employee who has a KCP certification conduct the course without there being a problem.  Correct?

            Doug Boling

            On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM, David Anderson <netherby_uk@...> wrote:

            AKTs can teach accredited Kanban classes using the officially approved curriculum. KCPs are trusted coaches and advisors. They cannot offer accredited training.

            David

            --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Hurtado <joseph@...> wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > How does the KCP differ from the Kanban Trainer that was previously available via LKU?
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Joseph Hurtado
            > Founder Agile Lion Corp.
            > Agile Consulting and Development Services
            > @agilelioncorp
            >
            > Sent from my iPad
            >
            > On Aug 16, 2012, at 6:34 PM, "David Anderson" <netherby_uk@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Correcting the typo in the title of this email. The program is called Kanban Coaching Professional. ;-)
            > >
            > > I believe many people on this list will wish to become KCPs. I believe this is an important step forward in the maturity of the Kanban community and our ability to serve the wider market with quality leadership of improvement initiatives.
            > >
            > > --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, "David Anderson" <netherby_uk@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Big announcement from Lean-Kanban University today. This happened as a direct response to discussions on this list when the Accredited Kanban Trainer program was announced in February...
            > > >
            > > > http://www.leankanbanuniversity.com/lku-kcp

          • Dave White
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 17, 2012
              Not currently. KCP will not be vetted for their classroom capabilities.

              Cheers,
              Dave
              LKU Management Board
              AKT Advisory Board

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 17, 2012
                If one wants to do both, how should they proceed?  Is it either/or only?

                Doug Boling

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 17, 2012
                  No. AKTs are people. AKT is a higher bar than KCP. KCPs cannot teach accredited classes even if they work for an LKU member company.

                  david

                  --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Boling <doug.boling@...> wrote:

                  > I would assume that a company that has submitted a curriculum that is AKT
                  > approved could have an employee who has a KCP certification conduct the
                  > course without there being a problem. Correct?
                  >
                  > Doug Boling
                  > doug.boling@...

                • David Anderson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 17, 2012
                    An KCP can upgrade to AKT and keep both designations. They would require to maintain good status in both programs according to the rules and fees laid out by the advisory boards of each program.

                    Regards,
                    David

                    --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Boling <doug.boling@...> wrote:

                    > If one wants to do both, how should they proceed? Is it either/or only?
                    >
                    > Doug Boling
                    > doug.boling@...

                  • Joseph Hurtado
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 18, 2012
                      Thanks for the answer David. I would like to get one of the several Kanban certifications, but for now they are all over $5000, and at the moment too high for me to consider, especially when competing certifications have a a much lower value.

                      I think part of making Kanban more successful would be to rethink the prices of these certifications, but I understand the current pricing follows some logic on the number of people expected to enroll on the courses. However elasticity of demand shows that lower prices can benefit a much larger potential user base, and therefore expand Lean Kanban practitioners. I hope at some time LKU revises these prices so more people like myself can seriously consider joining LKU as a Trainer or Coaching Professional.

                      Cheers,

                      Joseph Hurtado
                      Agile Development Manager / Founder
                      Twitter: @josephhurtado

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 18, 2012
                        Joseph,

                        What exactly would you classify as a "competing certification" in this case?

                        What you personally can pay and what something is worth are not related. Many people attending my 3-day advanced classes, which I grant are not inexpensive, have stated that they got value for money before lunch on the first day. Often, just finding the idea or concept to enable success at a single client justifies the price of attendance.

                        The advisory board for the AKT program will not be lowering the prices of AKT membership in the foreseeable years. The barrier to entry is set deliberately high to attract those who genuinely want to make a living from teaching Kanban.

                        In creating the professional coaching program, once again, we've set a high a bar because we want to maintain high standards and build a trusted brand around KCP and LKU professional designations. Those who truly value the trust that is shown when a professional body grants a designation to someone will not see it as expensive.

                        We already have a strong response from those you are already eligible for the KCP program. Expect further announcements in October wrt AKT and KCP programs.

                        Regards,
                        David
                        http://djaa.com/

                        --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Hurtado <joseph@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the answer David. I would like to get one of the several Kanban certifications, but for now they are all over $5000, and at the moment too high for me to consider, especially when competing certifications have a a much lower value.
                        >
                        > I think part of making Kanban more successful would be to rethink the prices of these certifications, but I understand the current pricing follows some logic on the number of people expected to enroll on the courses. However elasticity of demand shows that lower prices can benefit a much larger potential user base, and therefore expand Lean Kanban practitioners. I hope at some time LKU revises these prices so more people like myself can seriously consider joining LKU as a Trainer or Coaching Professional.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Joseph Hurtado
                        > Agile Development Manager / Founder
                        > Agile Lion Corp.
                        > Twitter: @josephhurtado

                      • Michael Wollin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 19, 2012
                          What's the best way to get myself on the path to have the background for these? I'm a coach wanting to develop myself as a trainer.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 19, 2012
                            Michael,

                            The starting path for KCP is to attend the 3-day Advanced Kanban Masterclass. Next one is in Chicago next month. There are likely to be 1 or 2 more of these this year. You will want to follow this by being seen within the community, perhaps a local Limited WIP Society or Lean Coffee group and attending events such as the Lean Kanban series of conferences. As a KCP you will be invited to the consultant's camp format Kanban Leadership Retreat events. The next one is in San Diego in late November.

                            http://agilemanagement.net/index.php/Blog/advanced_kanban_masterclass_chicago_il_-_sep_5-7_2012/

                            To step up to AKT will require you to be involved in the community, gain some field experience coaching Kanban with clients or your employer and to take the Lean-Kanban University 5-day Train-the-trainer class. There is one in September in Edinburgh, Scotland. The next one is likely to be in April 2013.

                            Regards
                            David

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 20, 2012
                              David,

                              My comment on pricing was meant as an encouragement to rethink the prices, and hopefully offer lower ones.

                              I am doing a comparison myself at this moment of all available Agile or Agile Related Certifications. It seems to me that LKU is expensive at the moment, given the early stage the program has, and the fact that few  recognize the value of these certifications now.

                              When I have finished my comparison I have no problem in sharing it with the list. I have started the process of beginning an Agile Consulting business, and Training would be part of it. This is the reason this comparison became needed now.

                              On a personal level I believe Kanban is the best Agile methodology out there, and this is one of the very best communities.

                              Cheers,

                              Joseph Hurtado
                              Founder Agile Lion Corp.
                              Agile Consulting and Development