Re: [kanbandev] Agile Friendly Brainstorming / Requirement Tool

  • Joseph Hurtado
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 28, 2012
      Thanks Sebastian, I will check it out.

      Cheers,

      Joseph Hurtado
      Agile Development Manager / Founder
      Trumpet Interactive Consulting

      On Feb 28, 2012, at 3:02 PM, sebas zegadex wrote:

      Hi Joseph,

      I can suggest you Goldrat's "current reality tree". With, proper moderation, exposes the root problems, so you can have a starting point.

      Hope that helps.

      Sebastian

      To: kanbandev@yahoogroups.com
      From: joseph@...
      Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:04:43 -0500
      Subject: [kanbandev] Agile Friendly Brainstorming / Requirement Tool

      Fellow Kanban Practitioners,

      Our company is using Kanban with fairly good success, we manage dozens of projects and we are quite happy. I introduced the methodology and it has scaled beautifully.

      Now we want to help our business users provide us better requirements. We have no BA role yet. And PMs act as BAs/PMs.

      The main problem is that the business has many Product Managers with conflicting ideas, who demand our development services with incomplete requirements, and frequently faulty or non existing priorities.

      They have tried many non specialized tools to clear up their process, but we still have a mess to deal with every time.

      Kanban could actually help, but they don't have the discipline to follow it. So we need a very business friendly tool that will help them go from:

      - Chaotic, brainstorm like ideas
      - To reasonably okay ideas that might become early requirements, or easy to translate into them.
      - The Tool should accommodate different roles: product manager, marketing staff, VPs.
      - Ideally it should be web based, with an awesome UI that even a child can use
      - The output would be a list of Epics or MMF, or prioritized projects that can actually be turned into Real Dev. Ready Requirements with little effort.

      Does this tool exist? Can someone please help us?

      We have tried and failed with Wikis, Jira, AgileZen, MS Sharepoint. The Main reason for failure was that those tools are not Marketing mindset friendly.

      Any help is welcome!

      Joseph Hurtado
      Agile Development Manager
      Toronto.

      Sent From my iPhone

    • Joseph Hurtado
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 28, 2012
        Thanks Eric, yes I am familiar with we have 40 out of 40 priority one features :-)

        Cool, link and one to complement the ideas behind Story Mapping.

        Cheers,

        Joseph Hurtado
        Agile Development Manager / Founder
        Trumpet Interactive Consulting

        On Feb 28, 2012, at 4:28 PM, Eric Willeke wrote:

        I don't think I've seen this in the thread thus far, so:

        In 2008 Corey wrote about a priority filter visualization that I've used several times in different variants:  http://leansoftwareengineering.com/2008/08/19/priority-filter/

        I like this because it visualizes the inherent uncertainty in the earlier stages, provides some meaningful points where you can capture explicit policies around progressive fidelity, and creates visibility around which stakeholder engagement can emerge [1]. Over time, I've found that it helps in blurring the "Business/IT line" in the flow, and is especially effective in starting to dispel the "analyze, then specify, then code, then test" mindset if you capture the hard to change decisions spanning all skillsets as policies in the earlier stages and provide explicit examples of "easy to change" decisions for the later stages.

        [1] I seem to remember David explaining this last bit by example pretty clearly in the Corbis case study in his book.

        To: kanbandev@yahoogroups.com