Re: [kanbandev] Board Set up question

  • Joseph Hurtado
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 23, 2012
      Rob,

      I have created such board. Basically you need a Master Kanban Board for overall tracking and coordination. And isolated independent boards for specific development / QA etc.

      The Master Board is a very high level view. One story there represents a full release. Use Delphi Expert opinion for estimation. Keep it simple. It works.

      Cheers,

      Joseph Hurtado
      Agile Development Manager

      Sent from my iPhone
      On 2012-02-23, at 5:04 PM, "Rob Maher" <scrumdod@...> wrote:

      I am working with a customer with the following scenario and am asking for some advice on board setup.

      They have in-house analysis and testing.  They outsource development to a number of different vendors depending on the system under development.   They do not want different vendors to see what work  the others have for commercial reasons.

      So they need a board to show all work being done by analysis, vendors and testing.  The vendors also need access to a board to see what work is about to arrive and manage their  work – backlog, in progress, done.

      Anyone come across something like this before?

    • Rob Maher
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 23, 2012

        Hi Joseph

        I see the link between the master and isolated boards.  Given that these are geographically dispersed teams do you have any recommendations of tools that can cope with this layout?

        When you say that you have created such a board – was that a geo distributed set of teams and what tool did you use?

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 23, 2012

          Hi Eric

          Thanks for your feedback and explanation on how to do this in the Rally tooling.

          1. The items should likely remain in the child project during the testing effort in an attempt to start reducing lead time and improve communications in a shared visualization

          If you do this then the internal test team effort will be spread across multiple boards.  How do you add wip limits, get good visibility etc with this model?

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 24, 2012
              You can do this with Atlassian's Greenhopper Rapid Board, which has a very flexible filtering language and permissions scheme.

              Typos courtesy of my iPhone