Re: [kanbandev] Kanban Tracking Tools

  • aslak hellesoy
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 30, 2008
      On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Andrew Montalenti <ajm@...> wrote:
      I use Rally, which has a "Story Board" and "Task Board" widget that can
      mimic the visual metaphor of Kanban boards:

      http://www.rallydev.com/

      The tool itself is more focused on Agile terminology and seems pretty
      closely fitted to SCRUM projects, but it's definitely worth a try.  Free
      for 10 users, with some annoying restrictions (only 1 custom view and 1
      custom 'mashup' or widget allowed).

      One important thing to note is that Rally supports Cumulative Flow
      Diagrams out of the box, at both iteration and release level.

      Mingle is somewhat Kanban-y, but when I evaluated it I didn't like it
      very much.  Was slow, chewed up a ton of memory on my server, and UI
      wasn't as slick as it looks in screenshots.  Also has a bit of a steep
      learning curve:

      http://www.studios.thoughtworks.com/mingle-agile-project-management

      http://pivotaltracker.com became free to the public quite recently. It was originally developed internally for use on Pivotal labs. It's hosted, and apparently tied to iterations, so it might not be suitable for Kanban - or it might - if iterations can be easily ignored. I'm about to try it out for a new project. It's got some good press (Ward Cunningham is apparently one of the fans).

      Aslak

      Finally, for the ultimate in 'web 2.0 simplicity', try Scrumy:

      http://scrumy.com/

      It's just a task and story board, but it has a very good and slick
      interface.  Super lightweight.  Almost too lightweight :-)

      Andrew

      On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 14:37 -0600, Joe Ocampo wrote:
      > I wanted to get a feel on what others are using to track their overall
      > projects using a Kanban system for development?
      >
      > I have to say that the existing ALM tools out there are making me pull
      > my hair out.  I am struggling with the paradigm of putting a round
      > block in a square hole, the result of which is causing more pain then
      > anything else.
      >
      > I have resulted to just using Excel but this causes pain when
      > development is distributed across 3 continents.
      >
      > Are there any other alternatives besides Excel or Google
      > Spreadsheets?
      >
      > --
      > God Bless,
      >
      > Joe Ocampo
      > agilejoe.lostechies.com

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:kanbandev-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:kanbandev-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • chris.matts@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
        Trac on last two projects. Whenever an mmf or bug fix is code complete it is added to a "ready to release" milestone.

        The business can then chose to create a release based on what's in "ready to release".

        ------------------

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
          I haven't done an extensive research on software that are ready for a kanban development process, but my instinct says that there are none specific to kanban.
          So, I was thinking about building one such tool myself.
          It would very likely include Cumulative Flow Diagram, virtual kanban board, customizable flow, etc. Maybe a Parking Lot Diagram (I personally think this is very useful).

          And this thread made me think we could/should consider spending some spare time to run such a project. I am quite new to this list and I don't know if it's been discussed or considered before (haven't done the homework of searching the list's archives). But I think it would be very welcome by this community.

          What do you think?

          -------------------------------------
          Eduardo Bobsin Machado
          eduardo.bobsin@...
          ebobsinm@...
          Mobile: +55 - 51 - 9155-3128

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
            We're using Jira with the greenhopper plugin from greenpepper software, got cards and kanban columns pretty good - still no CFD but getting close

            From: "Joe Ocampo"
            Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:37:43 -0600
            To: <kanbandev@yahoogroups.com>

            I wanted to get a feel on what others are using to track their overall projects using a Kanban system for development?

            I have to say that the existing ALM tools out there are making me pull my hair out.  I am struggling with the paradigm of putting a round block in a square hole, the result of which is causing more pain then anything else.

            I have resulted to just using Excel but this causes pain when development is distributed across 3 continents.

            Are there any other alternatives besides Excel or Google Spreadsheets?

            --
            God Bless,

            Joe Ocampo
            agilejoe.lostechies.com

          • Landes Eric (CI/AFR2-NA)
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
              I personally believe that you should use a tool that works for your
              shop. All shops are different, for instance, we are a Microsoft shop,
              so we use Team Foundation server. We track at the user story level, and
              TFS allows us to tie stories to check-ins. There is a lot more to TFS
              as well, it is highly extensible. In regards to tracking user stories,
              I find it easy to add new fields to the user story work item, and I find
              the reporting on these issues to be easily customizable. For my Kanban,
              that is normally what I need to do is customize. Keep in mind that TFS
              is expensive.

              I am not trying to be a TFS salesperson, I don't think it is the tool
              for everyone. There are other products out there like Version One,
              Rally etc. that I have heard assist in process as well. Others can
              attest to how they work, I do not have experience with using other
              similar lifecycle tools. HTH

              Eric Landes

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
                Eduardo,

                In our project, the tool was a natural result of our kaizen process.
                After several months using a traditional kanban board on the wall, we
                detected that it wasn´t so easy to maintain the physical cards
                syncronized with the electronic tickets. So we decided to create a
                electronic representation of the board.

                It wasn´t difficult because all the features that we needed to operate
                already had implemented in the tracking tool (Mantis). It takes two or
                three days to reproduce the board visualization in a web application.
                All we had to do was read the data from the tracking app. After that
                we started to do small improvements every week. So, I definitely
                encourage you to build your own in these terms. The tool should be an
                element to help your system to flow, not an element to define it or
                prescribe it.

                You can check the full history here:
                http://www.phidelis.com.br/blogs/alissonvale/post/A-Historia-de-um-Sistema-Kanban.aspx.
                It´s in portuguese but I presume (by your name and telephone code
                area) that this is not a problem for you ;) .

                PS: Google does a "good-enough" job in translate it to english:
                http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.phidelis.com.br/blogs/alissonvale/post/A-Historia-de-um-Sistema-Kanban.aspx&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&sl=pt&tl=en

                Att,
                Alisson Vale

              • Landes Eric (CI/AFR2-NA)
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Eduardo,
                  I believe that might be an interesting idea, you might want to look at extending existing tools rather than building from scratch.  For instance, in the Microsoft space there is an open source project called TFS Sticky buddy, http://www.codeplex.com/TFSStickyBuddy.  I think Eric W. knows a little about this, and Martin H. did the original work, IIRC.   TFS Sticky Buddy can show a representation of the Kanban system electronically and would be helpful for remote workers.

                  I don't want to discourage you from building such a tool, it may be quite helpful for those starting out.  For my money, having a tool comes after I have defined my process manually, and have a good feel for where a tool can improve the process.  Maybe that's why we use a lot of custom reports!  My feeling is that most teams, as they mature, will take an existing tool and customize that to fit their Kanban process.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Eric,

                    After some reflection I realized that customizing an existing tool can be the best way. And you haven't discouraged me. You have opened my eyes! :)
                    Alisson said he customized a Kanban report around an existing open source tool. That made me think twice and consider adopting this approach. Maybe that tool idea can become a simple plugin for an existing tool, thus achieving the same result but with less effort!

                    Our process is not mature. Far from it, it's evolving. And yes, our artifacts are almost all tangible (cards, limits, white board, etc.).
                    But I feel we need some way to organize the info and metrics to help find improvement points even if it's not going to be used now, but as a comparison or baseline for near future use.
                    That's where the tool idea came from. We've been using a (legacy) tool just for bug tracking, but it's quite limited. We have a small dev team and no previously defined process. I dare to say we're "starting from scratch".

                    -------------------------------------
                    Eduardo Bobsin Machado
                    eduardo.bobsin@...
                    ebobsinm@...
                    Mobile: +55 - 51 - 9155-3128

                      From: "Joe Ocampo"
                      Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:37:43 -0600
                      To: <kanbandev@yahoogroups.com>

                      I wanted to get a feel on what others are using to track their overall projects using a Kanban system for development?

                      I have to say that the existing ALM tools out there are making me pull my hair out.  I am struggling with the paradigm of putting a round block in a square hole, the result of which is causing more pain then anything else.

                      I have resulted to just using Excel but this causes pain when development is distributed across 3 continents.

                      Are there any other alternatives besides Excel or Google Spreadsheets?

                      --
                      God Bless,

                      Joe Ocampo
                      agilejoe.lostechies.com

                      --
                      Eswar Vandanapu
                      Senior Manager - Software Development
                      Oracle Identity Manager
                      --
                      Management is about Results. Period.

                    • pallton
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                        For jira users, here is another option....

                        http://code.google.com/p/poormanskanban/

                        Its currently just a simple kanban-board style(*) view for jira projects, that I originally
                        wrote to help people visual bottlenecks (in our case, usually QA).

                        Its evolved a bit since then, the next version (available later this week) has burn down
                        charts and then I plan to think about capacity and limits.

                        Its free (open source), all feedback welcome.

                        p.

                        (*) currently its more like a standard agile storyboard, but I'm hoping to make it more
                        kanban like - thats why its Poorman's Kanban!

                        --- In kanbandev@yahoogroups.com, "Andrei Nadin" <Anadin@...> wrote:

                        > We're using Jira with the greenhopper plugin from greenpepper software, got
                        > cards and kanban columns pretty good - still no CFD but getting close

                      • François Beauregard
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                          "Shameless plug" ... could not resist.

                          GreenHopper is a plugin for JIRA (http://www.greenpeppersoftware.com/en/products/GreenHopper/) that offers very flexible board like user interface.
                          It is designed with Agile style planning in mind but the planning board and task board are very configurable and we believe it can easily be used for kanban style planning.
                          We are very interested in getting feedback from people using a "pure" kanban approach.

                          Note that we now have shipped GreenHopper for Microsoft Team Foundation Server (http://www.greenpeppersoftware.com/en/products/GreenHopperTFS/).

                          Note also that GreenHopper is free for Open Source projects.

                          Cheers,
                          ~françois

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                            Eduardo,
                            We use a legacy tool for change tracking also.  We are forced into this tool company wide.  But we have <Evil Voiceover> made it bend to our will</Evil Voiceover> and are using reporting tools to help with the legacy tool.  We also are importing this into TFS so that we can tie check-ins to the change tickets.

                            But for us the main part of our Kanban tracking is the physical board.  This has helped us trememdously.  We started out with an electronic version, but I recommend using a physical board in a highly visible area as your main means of tracking if at all possible.

                            Eric Landes

                            From: "Joe Ocampo"
                            Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:37:43 -0600
                            To: <kanbandev@yahoogroups.com>

                            I wanted to get a feel on what others are using to track their overall projects using a Kanban system for development?

                            I have to say that the existing ALM tools out there are making me pull my hair out.  I am struggling with the paradigm of putting a round block in a square hole, the result of which is causing more pain then anything else.

                            I have resulted to just using Excel but this causes pain when development is distributed across 3 continents.

                            Are there any other alternatives besides Excel or Google Spreadsheets?

                            --
                            God Bless,

                            Joe Ocampo
                            agilejoe.lostechies.com

                          • Janice Linden-Reed
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                              RE: [kanbandev] Kanban Tracking Tools

                              Hi Eduardo,

                              Ive done a search for tracking tools that would support kanban.  I havent found any that will do it out of the box.  Many tracking tools contain virtual sticky boards, but these are often task boards rather than story boards.  Some, like VersionOne, have cumulative flow diagrams, but you have to use it along with a task burndown chart.  No one seems to offer management of WIP.  Some allow workflow customization and some dont.

                              The Target Process people have told me that they will add these features to TargetProcess in late 2009:  iterationless development, progress flow chart, kanban board, WIP chart They currently have a virtual sticky board but it is a task board.  They do have customizable workflow.

                              I am fondest of Mingle. It is super customizable so it is easier to force into a kanban mode.  Right now I am trying to get Rally customized (using their mashup system), with mixed results.

                              The most complete kanban solutions I have seen are ProjectCards and TriChord, but these are still not serious contenders, IMHO.

                              My primary system is the physical white board!  4 of them.

                              Janice Linden-Reed
                              Sr. Project Manager
                              Posit Science

                              Janice.Linden-Reed@...

                              Your brain will thank you.™

[...]

                              eduardo.bobsin@gmail.com
                              ebobsinm@yahoo.com
                              Mobile: +55 - 51 - 9155-3128

                              On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Landes Eric (CI/AFR2-NA) <eric.landes@us.bosch.com> wrote:

[...]

                              Microsoft MVP

                              http://feeds.feedburner.com/aspadvice/lhVO  (My Blog)

                              http://www.linkedin.com/in/ericlandes Linked In Profile

                              http://twitter.com/ericlandes Twitter

                              From: "Joe Ocampo"
                              Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:37:43 -0600
                              To: <
                              kanbandev@yahoogroups.com>

                              I wanted to get a feel on what others are using to track their overall projects using a Kanban system for development?

                              I have to say that the existing ALM tools out there are making me pull my hair out.  I am struggling with the paradigm of putting a round block in a square hole, the result of which is causing more pain then anything else.

                              I have resulted to just using Excel but this causes pain when development is distributed across 3 continents.

                              Are there any other alternatives besides Excel or Google Spreadsheets?

                              --
                              God Bless,

                              Joe Ocampo
                              agilejoe.lostechies.com

                              __._,_.___

                              Messages in this topic (11) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

                              MARKETPLACE

                              From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

                              Change settings via email:
                              Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional

                              Recent Activity

                              ·        7

                              New Members

                              Visit Your Group

                              Yahoo! Finance

                              It's Now Personal

                              Guides, news,

                              advice & more.

                              Y! Messenger

                              Quick file sharing

                              Send up to 1GB of

                              files in an IM.

                              Yahoo! Groups

                              Cat Zone

                              Connect w/ others

                              who love cats.

                              .

                            • Scott Bellware
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                                Eduardo,

                                > So, I was thinking about building one such tool myself.

                                An outcome of the Continuous Improvement in Software Development conference in Austin in October was a commitment to start an open source project to build an open source Kanban management/tracking system.

                                We have an informal working group at the moment, and a couple of committed developers and advisors.  We'll be doing initial design work in January, publishing our intentions and prototypes for review.

                                While we've settled on Mingle for the time being, and the non-trivial time investment to customize it, I look forward to using something that bends to my will rather than the other way around.

                                I hope to have a "position paper" written over the year-end holidays, and early prototypes or possibly sketches and story boards in time for the Kanban Conference.

                                I'd be happy to have you aboard as a project contributor, observer, or what ever works for you.

                                Best,
                                Scott
                              • Pinkham, Gary
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008

                                  Scott.  Please keep the mailing list informed..    I would definitely be interested in more details and may have the time to contribute on an OSS project..    Great to see you have got the ball rolling!

                                  Thanks,

                                  Gary