INFO: sisterspace and books newsletter

  • Kalamu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2008
      >>INFO: sisterspace and books newsletter
      ================================

      SISTERSPACE AND BOOKS
      sisterspace1515@...
      www.sisterspacedc.com
      202-829-9612

      We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight
      Community Newsletter
      May 2008 Vol. 1 Issue 1

      Join Sisterspace and Books at two Book Sale Events this Weekend
      Saturday, May 3rd (Plymouth UCC Health Fair) and Sunday May 4th (Artist
      Market) . See details under Calendar of Events

      Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
      One day, I will write the history and stories of Sisterspace and Books.
      Today, I can only say thank you for being here for me as I attempt to rest, restore
      and regain myself from a painful, depressingstroke. Please read the facts
      about strokes and learn to protect yourself and your children. I look forward to
      seeing some of you on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday!!! I hope that
      you will buy our book, Jewels: 50 Phenomenal Black Women Over 50for Mother's
      Dayand we will happily sign copies of the book. We will sell books on May 3rd
      and 4th, please see the calendar of events below for locations. Thanks to all
      who made the March 29th event such a success. It helped to restore my faith in
      our folks and struggles...all is well!!! Faye

      If you were not able to make it to the event and would still like to show
      your support Donations are still being accepted. Please send checks to:
      Faye Williams
      c/o Lois Wiley
      517 T. Street N.W.
      Washington. DC. 20001
      (make all checks payable to Faye Williams)

      From Faye: Post-Stroke Poetry

      wish that i could sing like aretha fraklin
      and thank the folks who showed up on may 29th and gave my their songs...
      thank you!!! i wish that i couldwrite a poem "about my crazy -mind" like
      ntozake shange andthank te folks wo sowed on march 29thand told me i wasworthy
      of their poetry...thank you!!!
      i wish that i could spread my body and dance like .......whats heer
      name!!!!!! for the dancers on the show and in te aisle!!!
      i wish that i could see
      i need a few moments...

      cancer, heart attacks and storkes scare folks...
      who ever heard of aphasia? i got it yall....
      aphasia means: cant read a book, no nespapers, and magazies...
      strugle to read the e-mails....... just ignore the bills...
      my mind isstuck with informed but unable to expressthoughts...
      aphasia makes your mind skipskip skip from thouhts to.......
      never mindddddddddd………..
      (If you don’ know what aphasia is look it up in the dictionary)

      African Americans and Stroke

      One half of all African American women will die from stroke or heart disease.

      African Americans are twice as likely to die from stroke as Caucasians. The
      rate of first strokes in African Americans is almost double that of
      Caucasians. The statistics are staggering -- African Americans are affected by stroke
      more often than any other group.

      Why?
      Not all of the reasons are clear why African Americans have an increased risk
      of stroke. Some factors include a higher rate of:

      High blood pressure. High blood pressure is the number one risk factor for
      stroke, and 1 in 3 African Americans suffer from high blood pressure.

      Diabetes. People with diabetes have a higher stroke risk.

      Sickle cell anemia. If sickle-shaped cells block a blood vessel to the
      brain, a stroke can result.

      African Americans also have a higher incidence than Caucasians of obesity and
      smoking, two other factors that can increase your risk for stroke.

      If you have one or more of these risk factors, it's even more important that
      you learn about the lifestyle and medical changes you can make to prevent a
      stroke. The National Stroke Association's stroke prevention guidelines will
      help you learn how you may be able to lower your stroke risk.

      Act F.A.S.T.

      FACE

      Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?

      ARMS. Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

      SPEECH

      Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence.

      Are the words slurred? Can he/she repeat the sentence correctly?

      TIME

      If the person shows any of these symptoms, time is important.

      Call 911 or get to the hospital fast. Brain cells are dying.

      Stroke Symptomsinclude:

      SUDDEN numbness or weakness of face, arm or leg - especially on one side of
      the body.

      SUDDEN confusion, trouble speaking or understanding.

      SUDDEN trouble seeing in one or both eyes.

      SUDDEN trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.

      SUDDEN severe headache with no known cause.

      Call 9-1-1 immediately if you haveany of these symptoms

      Calendar of Events

      Thursday, May 1st, 7pm to 9pm
      The Statehood Action Forum: Celebrate Workers Rights and Struggle and Work
      towards Statehood. Featuring Dr. Jared Ball and Hip-Hop Genius Head-Roc.
      Bringing the "Capitol Resistance Tour" ...highlighting the uber-capitalista ways of
      the elite-class of the wealthy ~ and the consequences to the people. District
      and National case studies will be presented. Mary Harding, PhD in labor history
      at UDC will give a historical presentation on the DC Labor Movement,
      1930s-1950s: "His Story, Her Story, Our Story”. Enjoy refreshments with other
      Statehood Leaders while we get together to discuss important issues in a less formal
      setting in order to build coalition, united concern, and friendships.
      Location: University of the District of Columbia , Building 29, 2nd Floor, Rm. 203.
      For more information call 202-483-4165 or visit
      http://www.dcstatehoodgreen.org/events .

      Thursday, May 1st, 7pm to 10pm. Doors open at 6pm.
      The Sterling A. Brown Active Culture Series presented byWPFW in partnership
      with the Historic Society of Washington . Hosted by Askia Muhammad, and
      Sophie's Parlor diva Elise Bryant The series will showcase art as a vehicle for
      political and social transformation. The evening, which will commemorate the
      workers' day of international struggle, or Mayday, will include performances by
      the DC Labor Chorus, Opus Akoben, Pam Parker, Sarah Browning, Thomas Stanley,
      Luci Murphy, In Process… and a host of Washington's finest poets and performers.
      Though this event is Free to the community, seating is limited, so please
      arrive early. Also, as this is a benefit for WPFW, donations are urged.
      Location: the Historic Society of Washington , 801 K Street, N.W. at Mount Vernon
      Square . For further information call 202-588-0999 or email stitt_katea@...
      .

      Saturday, May 3rd, 10am to 2pm
      The Health Ministry of Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ Health
      Fair

      10am 12pm Discussion
      “Patient Advocacy” Sickle Cell Assoc. of the Nat’l Capital Area, Inc. with
      Patient Advocacy Foundation.

      12:30pm 2pm. Panel
      “The State of Health Care in DC” By Plymouth Board of Social Action

      Offering Health screenings for Hypertension, Diabetes, Cholesterol, Glaucoma,
      Sickle Cell Anemia, Body Fat Distribution, and Nutrition. Information and
      Counseling for Cancer 〓 Breast/Prostate 〓 Mental Health 〓 Heart Disease 〓
      HIV/AIDS 〓 Pediatrics 〓 Problems of the Aged 〓 Spiritual Healing 〓 Free Massages 〓
      Healthy Delicious Food and Drink Samples.

      Purchase Books and Hand-crafted Jewelry by Sisterspace and Books!

      Supporting organizations: Empower DC, Praxis Project, Families U.S.A., DC
      Action for Children, DC Health Coalition, Parents & Citizen’s Committee to Stop
      Medical Experimentation in DC, Sisterspace and Books, IPS’s Social Action &
      Leadership School of for Activist (SALSA), People Before Profits Health Project,
      Project South. Location: Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ,
      5301 North Capitol Street N.E. (near Riggs Rd. and Missouri Ave. ). For more
      information call 202-723-5330.

      Sunday, May 4th, 11am to 6pm
      Visit the Artists’ Market. Get your unique Mother’s Day Gifts Early!
      Offering handcrafted works of art by nationally known artists including jewelry, fine
      art, hang-painted textiles, clothing, artifacts, home furnishings, body care
      products, leather work, dolls, fiber art and Books by Sisterspace and Books!
      Free parking available. Location: St. Francis Hall at the Franciscan Monastery,
      1340 Quincy Street N.E.

      Friday, May 9th, Reception 7pm, 8pm Performance
      The DC Labor Chorus and “Triflava” presents: A Lift Every Voice and Sing
      Spring Concert in support of the Emergence Community Arts Collective. Location:
      First Trinity Lutheran Church , 501 4th Street N.W. ( Judiciary Square Metro
      Station). Free parking is available across from the church. Tickets are $20.00
      dollars and half the admission price will go to ECAC. For more information or
      to purchase tickets visit www.ecacollective.org/dclc-triflava.html

      For Our Young People

      Young Writers Camp
      Main Campus of Howard University
      June 16, 2008 - June 27, 2008
      9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
      Open to Students - Ages 8-14
      This two week summer program is designed to enhance writing in children ages
      8-14. Young writers engage in a variety of creative writing experiences that
      help them develop and improve the quality of their writing. Camp activities
      include daily journal writing, age appropriate reading, and other activities
      that expand the campers' writing world. Because the camp offers a relaxed
      atmosphere with writing and reading activities both indoors and outdoors, students
      learn more about themselves, their peers and nature. Additionally, the
      program includes field-based writing such as writing at the U.S. Postal Museum. At
      the end of the camp, each camper receives an anthology of the writings.
      Registration forms available - call 202-806-7524

      June 23rd to July 30th 2008
      The Hung Tao Choy MeiLeadership Institute Summer program"Martial Arts
      -Life Skills -Healthy Lifestyles". The program will be six weeks of intense
      training five days per week for children between the ages of 5 and 13 years who
      reside in Washington , DC . The classes will be held at our 1351 U Street, N.W.
      location. Class times are 5 yrs to 8 yrs 10:00am to 11:30 am and 11:30am to
      1:00pm, for 9 yrs to 13 yrs class times are 1:00pm to 2:30pm and 2:30pm to
      4:00pm. Each child, based on age grouping,has a choice to come to one of the1
      1/2 hour classesper day Monday through Friday. Each child will be provided
      free of charge tuition, uniform, breakfast or lunch (depending on class time),
      all expense paid field trip to international kung fu tournament, Saturday
      afternoon art/cartooning class, andend of summer banquet and awards program.
      Children will learn self-defense, fitness, lion dance, drum, gong and cymbal play,
      and a host of life
      skills. We encourage everyone who signs up their child to commit them
      toparticipating in all of the activities over the course of the summer. Children
      can be enrolled in other programs and camps as long as they keep their
      commitment to at least 1 1/2 hours of our program each day.

      We anticipate having a similar program for older youth from 14 to 18 yrs and
      will be able to confirm this in a matter of weeks. Please fill out the
      application if you would like to enroll your teenager in a program running between
      the hours of 5:30pm and 8:30pm and Saturday mornings from 10:00am to 12:00
      noon.For more information and application contact Abdur-Rahim Muhammad,
      202-265-1670 or visit www.jowga.org.

      Please Support These Businesses and Organizations

      *History in Action Toys (HIA TOYS)
      We want children to see themselves reflected in the faces of our toys and
      have fun imagining the infinite opportunities life holds. By creating toys based
      on real-life American heroes, our goal is to inspire children to dream their
      own superhero adventures. After all, toys should be fun but we believe they can
      even be inspiring. Starting at age seven, the founder of History in Action
      Toys, Sterling Ashby, was an avid collector of comic books. In fact, he loved
      collecting comic books so much he braved a 20 minute bus ride with his five year
      old sister in tow to downtown Philadelphia just to get the latest issue in
      his favorite series. Ashby's fondness for collecting and a Christmas shopping
      experience inspired him to create his own collectible. In 2003, Ashby was
      shopping for a Christmas present for a friend’s son and wanted to buy an unusual
      toy. He finally purchased a doll of a famous scientist and was struck by the toy’
      s educational quality. When
      the child opened the toy, he looked at his father, asking him who this person
      was.The boy’s father explained that he was a famous scientist and the boy
      stared at the doll in amazement. Later, he put the toy in a special place in his
      room. Seeing the excitement and wonder on the boy’s face gave the Founder an
      idea. Using real heroes from history, Ashby created a series of action figures
      that were fun, positive role models, whose real-life stories would awaken
      both a child’s imagination and appeal to the kid within us all. History in Action
      Toys was born! Bessie Coleman, Benjamin Banneker and, Matthew Alexander
      Henson are now available for purchase online at www.hiatoys.com , 202-487-8376.

      *Dar Es Salaam Books
      The House of Health is a 2 story complex that includes Dar Es Salaam
      Books/Health Center and the African Holistic Health Association. Hodari Abdul-Ali-
      3830 34th Street Mt. Rainier , MD , 240-667-2299. www.brotherhodari.com ,
      hodari3@....

      *The Culture Shop
      The Culture Shop provides an exciting offering of personal and decorative
      accessories sourced from indigenous craftspeople around the world, including the
      United States . 341 Cedar Street, N.W., 202 726 2211,866 726 2211, Hours of
      operation: Monday Closed, Tues-Fri 11am - 7pm, Sat. 11am - 6pm, and Sun. 11am -
      5pm. www.cultureshop.com, customerservice@....

      *Pure Bliss Day Spa
      Specializing in skin care treatments, massage therapies, spa packages, hair
      removal, body treatments, natural nails, revive mini treatments and much more.
      7329 Georgia Avenue N.W. Hours, M-F, 10am to 7pm, Sat., 9am to 4pm. Closed on
      Sundays. For appointments call 202-545-3810 or visit www.pureblissdayspa.com.

      *Nisey’s Boutique
      Nisey’sprovides the most affordable and attractive clothing, healthy hair
      and skin products, one-of -kind -crafted jewelry, and shoes. This is what you
      call putting your money where your mouth is! 4007 34th Street, Mt. Rainier, MD
      (Right off Rhode Island Ave.), 301-277-7977 phone, 301-277-7947 fax,
      www.niseysboutique.com.

      *Hung Tao Choy Mei Kung Fu Academy
      Kung Fu and Tai Chi classes for children and adults at very reasonable
      prices.
      Brother Rahim Abdur Mohammed- Sifu, 1351 U. Street N.W. 2nd Floor.
      www.jowga.org, htcmRahim@..., Hours of operation: Mon - Fri: 6:15 p.m. - 9:45 p.m.,
      Sat: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, and Sun: 9:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. 202-265-1670.

      *The Historic Takoma Theatre Washington , D.C. Takoma Theatre Conservancy
      The mission of the Takoma Theatre Conservancy is to purchase, renovate, and
      oversee the Takoma Theatre as a professionally managed, community-based
      cultural arts center. The role of the Conservancy is to ensure that the theater
      building and its programs are managed in the best interests of the immediate Takoma
      Park neighborhoods in D.C. and MD., the wider D.C. community, and the arts
      community. The Conservancy is incorporated as a nonprofit organization with 501
      (c) (3) status making donations tax deductible. www.takomatheatredc.org,
      info@....

      *SWilliams Travel Agency
      Travel the world with Silvia Williams. For the best prices, the best comfort.
      The best people for all of your travel needs. www.ytb.com/swilliamstravel,
      swill1009@....
      301- 893-3532

      *Boveda: Gifts from Around the World
      Specializing in tribal jewelry, leather and straw bags, textiles, home decor,
      baskets, pottery, glassware, and many other items from around the world. 3165
      Mount Pleasant Street N.W. 2nd Floor. Open on Saturdays Only! Barbara
      Cameron, Owner, 202-234-2053, www.bovedatribes.com, BovedaTribes@....