INFO: black women playwrights' group national conference

  • Kalamu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2008
      >>INFO: black women playwrights' group national conference

      The Black Women Playwrights' Group, presents

      Whisper, Laugh, Shout, Tell the Story:

      1st National Meeting for Women of Color Writing Drama

      Chicago, September 4-7

      Hosted by Loyola University Chicago's Department of Fine & Performing Arts

      Guest Speaker: Lynn Nottage, MacArthur Award-Winning Playwright

      Who should come?  You should.  If you are thinking about writing your first
      play, or have just started, come. If you have written 20 plays, come.  If
      you are writing hip hop, dramas, comedies, gospel plays, musicals, come!
      If you are writing for film and television, come.  Your voice is unique, but
      we are gathering kindred spirits with stories to tell.
      For the first time women writers of color will gather in a nurturing
      environment that assumes they should have prolific, consistent careers
      writing dramatic literature that illuminates the human condition.  We want
      to ask writing women what they need to navigate the labyrinth facing writers
      of color in theater, film, and television.  Focus groups will ask, "What do
      you need?  How can we support you?"  With the answers to these questions, we
      will design a national level of membership that serves not only women
      playwrights of color but also the American theater.

      The four-day meeting will include a staged reading, an awards dinner,
      workshops, and small group discussions that center on the playwrights'
      experiences.   Lynn Nottage, MacArthur award-winning playwright, is a guest
      speaker.  Scholars and professionals in the field will also be present to
      make this a memorable and worthwhile event.

      The conference will take place at Loyola University Chicago's newly
      renovated Mundelein Center for the Fine and Performing Arts on Loyola's Lake
      Shore Campus.  Loyola Professor Jonathan Wilson, a highly respected director
      at regional theaters across the nation, will direct the staged reading.  For
      Loyola, the conference is the beginning of a year-long focus on gender,
      diversity, and new initiatives in the American theater.

      "This summer, I stood in the bank and two black women were at the teller
      windows in front of me.  I saw only their backs.  One was in her fifties,
      with perfectly coiffed silvery hair, a raw silk outfit, lime green pants,
      and tiny jewels on her mules.  Next to her was a woman in her twenties, with
      dread locks down her back, well-worn cowboy boots, jeans with a chain belt,
      and a small purse with a shoulder strap.  On the purse was the Harley
      Davidson emblem. I thought to myself, 'Here's a story. Here's BWPG standing
      in line right in front of me.'"

      Please come to Chicago and tell your story!

      Karen L.B. Evans
      President & Founder
      BWPG
      For more information, please email conference@...,