Re: [kafka-list] A Hunger Artist

  • mekare002@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4 5:22 PM
      Hey, I like the idea of their fate being passivity. It is the same for both
      of them. The Hunger Artist seems quite un noticed by the world and the
      panther is a star attraction and yet they both recieve the same fate. Only
      people see them differently. The Artist is viewed as being almost not a human
      because he does none of the things that a human normally does and yet we see
      the panther as what we expect a panther to be because that is all we have
      ever seen a panther as, a creature in a cage. Maybe Kafka is saying that
      neither the artist nor the panther are fulfilling their true nature and the
      cage of society perhaps keeps all our fates in passivity.

      Laura

    • mekare002@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4 5:37 PM
        Hey,
        Don't worry about the rambling, that is what we are here for! And about the
        religious thing. You're right, Kafka was Jewish. However, a lot of Jewish
        people are aware of Christian beliefs and practices just as a lot of
        Christians are aware of Jewish beliefs and practices. And, maybe Kafka had no
        clue about the Christian take on his story but the fact that we can see it in
        his story makes it relevant to us and thereby brings Kafka's story into the
        wider world.

        About the idea that Kafka would see the hunger artist shying away from
        society to practice his art. I can see that because I believe that oftentimes
        artist must take a step back from the world they live in day to day and see
        it differently than most people would. And, I like the idea of the artist
        having integrity, to stick by what he believes in. I think that he is the
        last of a dying breed and has decided to go down with the ship as it were.
        Which like you said, shows integrity. However, going down with the ship sort
        of shows us that he really doesn't see the world for what it is, he has a
        narrow view of what he can do and that is it. It would be like someone never
        wanting to move on in life. Yes, he gets better in his own little world but
        most artists try to do different things or they go through stages, while the
        artist just sticks to one thing, yes that shows integrity but in a way
        doesn't it also show stagnation?