Re: [kafka-list] A Hunger Artist

  • mekare002@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hey Gang I'm back!!
      For some reason my AOL address got blocked so I couldn't respond to anyone.
      It was killing me. Anywho, I like that interpretation of the friend in the
      relationship that seems so needy, but doesn't that then say that if we ignore
      our friend the friendship between us will die. and that we have to be
      diligent to keep our friends in our lives and show them that we care?
      And, I love the passage about not showing outward signs of fasting. I'm
      Catholic and I completley forgot about it (of course, I missed church on Ash
      Wednesday too much stuff to do and I couldn't fit it all in) But that means
      that the Hunger Artist is really going against God's wishes because he is a
      walking sign for fasting. Plus, he is making money off of something religious
      and private, something that is just supposed to be between a person and God.
      So, that would mean that he goes against the normal teachings of the church
      until the end when he is not noticed but of course, at the end he still isn't
      happy. Perhaps he was just looking for someone to believe in him and couldn't
      find that from a God that didn't answer him back.

      As for the other story, I will read it think about it and get back to you.
      That can be our next story to discuss. How bout we make it official and say
      everyone be ready by Monday? Since it is so short, that should be enough
      time. And think of something else to read while your at it, we could use some
      more suggestions.

    • mekare002@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
        Hey, I like the idea of their fate being passivity. It is the same for both
        of them. The Hunger Artist seems quite un noticed by the world and the
        panther is a star attraction and yet they both recieve the same fate. Only
        people see them differently. The Artist is viewed as being almost not a human
        because he does none of the things that a human normally does and yet we see
        the panther as what we expect a panther to be because that is all we have
        ever seen a panther as, a creature in a cage. Maybe Kafka is saying that
        neither the artist nor the panther are fulfilling their true nature and the
        cage of society perhaps keeps all our fates in passivity.

        Laura

      • mekare002@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
          Hey,
          Don't worry about the rambling, that is what we are here for! And about the
          religious thing. You're right, Kafka was Jewish. However, a lot of Jewish
          people are aware of Christian beliefs and practices just as a lot of
          Christians are aware of Jewish beliefs and practices. And, maybe Kafka had no
          clue about the Christian take on his story but the fact that we can see it in
          his story makes it relevant to us and thereby brings Kafka's story into the
          wider world.

          About the idea that Kafka would see the hunger artist shying away from
          society to practice his art. I can see that because I believe that oftentimes
          artist must take a step back from the world they live in day to day and see
          it differently than most people would. And, I like the idea of the artist
          having integrity, to stick by what he believes in. I think that he is the
          last of a dying breed and has decided to go down with the ship as it were.
          Which like you said, shows integrity. However, going down with the ship sort
          of shows us that he really doesn't see the world for what it is, he has a
          narrow view of what he can do and that is it. It would be like someone never
          wanting to move on in life. Yes, he gets better in his own little world but
          most artists try to do different things or they go through stages, while the
          artist just sticks to one thing, yes that shows integrity but in a way
          doesn't it also show stagnation?