Re: [kafka-list] A Hunger Artist

  • Mark Ponce
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      Here is a brief summation of one interpretation I ran across.
      It is not my words, but an edit that I put together to throw a little light
      on the subject.

      "The Hunger Artist" has been interpreted by some as a parable of the
      author's spiritual quest as well as of his realtionship with the insenstive
      world around him; his main theme being: alienation.

      He suffers in his cage, the symbol of his lack of freedom, but he prefers to
      starve for the eventual attainment of spiritual freedom rather than accept
      any of the pseudo-salvations of the realm of the "butchers"- or the world
      around him. (It is interesting to note that Kafka was a life-long
      vegetarian, the very opposite of a butcher.) He pits two equally justified
      forces against each other: the yearning for spiritual nourishment of the
      hunger artist against the elemental affirmation of life by the many. One
      force pushing in the direction of spiritualization and beyond; the other one
      pulling back toward the animalistic sphere.

      In his diary, Kafka referred to these opposing forces as "the assualt from
      above" and the one "from below". He explained his desire to escape from the
      world in terms of "the assualt from above". All of Kafka's stories are
      permeated and deal with this opposition. The hero's loathing for regular
      food and his desire to fast to unprecedented perfection are the workings of
      this force and pull him from earthly life. The wild animals' and the
      panther's taking his place represent life-affirming forces. The audience
      moves between the two opposing forces but it doesn't have the capability of
      either the hunger artist or the panther. Their fate is mere passivity.

      The sum total of truth (his art) and life are the same at all times, but one
      goes on at the expense of the other. By living, man gets in his own way as
      regards the fulfillment of his art, his search for truth. It is true that
      NOT eating eventually takes the hunger artist's physical life, but from the
      debris of this life there flows a new, spiritualized life unknown to others.
      If the artist wants to find his truth, he must destroy himself. Suffering is
      the only possible way for man to redeem his true self (sounds like
      Dostovesky!). It is both the perogative and curse of the hunger artist (and
      Kafka, vis a vis his writing) that he is driven to follow this path to its
      inevitable conclusion.

      marcusS
      ** How about "A Country Doctor" (but only after this discussion has taken
      it's full course).

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2003
        wow, i really like the fact that people are using this list for what
        it was intended ...finally. anyway, here's a few more thoguhts to
        add to the pile:

        i have always tended to shy away from leaning religious symbolism in
        kafka's work, especially christian-centric symbolism, because i
        believe that kafka was jewish. for this fact, i really don't know if
        kafka would have even had any idea what lent was. i know teh number
        forty appears elsewhere in religious texts, and for that reason he
        may have come across in it that context, but i really don't know.
        i'm not trying to prove religious-related theories wrong, but iw
        anted to point out that i don't think kafak was christian.

        however, one thing someone mentioned (and i apologize for not being
        able to directly quote and identify the person, but the email program
        i use is a pain in the butt) reminded me of a connection between
        kafka and religion. someone was talking about their favorite lentian
        reading, that of not visibly fasting. i think that is an interesting
        application to the hunger artist, but can even more readily b applied
        to kafka's story "conversation with the supplicant." if you've never
        read that, check it out, and you might be surprised at how kafka
        pretty much exactly spells out that that reading talks about.

        but now, onto "the hunger artist" itself. since i steer clear of
        religious references, i have always viewed the story as more of a
        commentary on society. with the artist himself in a cage, that has
        always meant to me that he is isolating himself from society. the
        reason for this is that he cannot stand society, and he alikewise
        cannot find anything "nourishing" there for him. of course i don't
        mean food literally, but more of a so-called nourishment for his
        spirit, or soul, if you like. perhaps even his intellect. society
        (perhaps in kafka's day, but very definitly in present-day america
        [in my opinion, anyway]), is fileld with people with short attention
        spans, who really don't care one bit about truth, authenticity or
        integrity, but simply flow from one fad to the next glitzy hot topic
        as easiyl as flipping channel on a television. actually, i think
        integrity is th exact word i'm looking for. in the story, the hunger
        artist epitomizes integrity - doing one thing as well a possible; and
        to the artist, that one thing (fasting) is indeed well worth doing.
        it is, in his mind, a noble pursuit, his "art," and meant (to me) to
        represent all forms or purity.

        since society, however, has no capacity for this integrity - either
        to endevour to acheive it themselves, or to treat the occurance of it
        as anything more than a passing novelty - the hunger artist knows he
        and his interest - as well very possible the platonic form
        of "Integrity" itself - are destined to shrivel up and die, while the
        society around him simpley vascilates between whatever the
        latest "next big things" are.

        perhaps this is where donald rumsfeld dug up the latest catch-
        phrase "shock and awe." people today, and the audience in the sotry,
        seem to like to be dazzled an amazed, and this is also they are able
        to respond to. the really sad part is that i think this, like so
        many thing, is a devestating downard spiral that keeps growing on
        itself. because, the "next big thing" has to be bigger than the
        thing before it to grab up the attention of the mindless society,
        which necessarily means that the following big thing must be even
        bigger, etc., and on and on until we are so blinded and in such a
        state of "shock and awe" that we are totally unable to think about or
        focus on the actual details of what we are looking at.

        instead of thinking about what it would take to fast, and if it is
        possible, the people in the story just automatically assume it can't
        be done by the artist (because, i suspect, they know that they
        themselves are not capable of it), as so immediately doubt it. in
        this way, they are trying to bring him down to their level. even by
        offering him food, they are offering their acceptance to the artist.
        they are saying "we will accept you into our soceity, just come out
        of your cage, be one of us, be like us; put aside your lofty ideals
        that the rest of us cannot acheive. instead, be like us and stop
        point out all these things that make us uncomfortable."
        uncomfortable because of their guilt it arises in people, for not
        being willing to put for the effort to acheive something so
        worthwhile, for ti si far easier to just sit back and watch the
        flickering images and bright pretty colors we are shown. the hunger
        artist, though, beign a true artist, is unabel to compromise himself
        and his art, and instead of acquiesing to the demands of society to
        dumb himself down to their level, chose to suffer with his dying art
        and fade away with it.

        so, that was much longer than i had hoped. i am sorry about that.
        smaller posts are so much easier to read and digest, but, i guess,
        once i get going on my ranting diatribes, i forget to rein myself
        in. but anyway, that's what i think - do with it what you will.

        and by the way, i'm not trying to make any kind of political
        statement, either. i'm just using conveinient contemporary examples
        to illustrate my point. i hope everyone is well, and keep the
        discussion going. take care.

        brian

        ps- in regards for the next story, i would vote against "a country
        doctor." no matter how many times i read it, i still cannot figure
        out to any degree what the heck he's talking about. also, i don't
        think i've met anyone who claims to, either, and many people fidn
        that to be his most indechipherable story. so, i would like to talk
        about that one, but i think we need to work up to it, with maybe some
        easier stories first. i like the "passers-by" that someone posted -
        maybe we could look at that one next. but yes, i agree - one at a
        time for now.
      • mekare002@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
          Hey Gang I'm back!!
          For some reason my AOL address got blocked so I couldn't respond to anyone.
          It was killing me. Anywho, I like that interpretation of the friend in the
          relationship that seems so needy, but doesn't that then say that if we ignore
          our friend the friendship between us will die. and that we have to be
          diligent to keep our friends in our lives and show them that we care?
          And, I love the passage about not showing outward signs of fasting. I'm
          Catholic and I completley forgot about it (of course, I missed church on Ash
          Wednesday too much stuff to do and I couldn't fit it all in) But that means
          that the Hunger Artist is really going against God's wishes because he is a
          walking sign for fasting. Plus, he is making money off of something religious
          and private, something that is just supposed to be between a person and God.
          So, that would mean that he goes against the normal teachings of the church
          until the end when he is not noticed but of course, at the end he still isn't
          happy. Perhaps he was just looking for someone to believe in him and couldn't
          find that from a God that didn't answer him back.

          As for the other story, I will read it think about it and get back to you.
          That can be our next story to discuss. How bout we make it official and say
          everyone be ready by Monday? Since it is so short, that should be enough
          time. And think of something else to read while your at it, we could use some
          more suggestions.

        • mekare002@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
            Hey, I like the idea of their fate being passivity. It is the same for both
            of them. The Hunger Artist seems quite un noticed by the world and the
            panther is a star attraction and yet they both recieve the same fate. Only
            people see them differently. The Artist is viewed as being almost not a human
            because he does none of the things that a human normally does and yet we see
            the panther as what we expect a panther to be because that is all we have
            ever seen a panther as, a creature in a cage. Maybe Kafka is saying that
            neither the artist nor the panther are fulfilling their true nature and the
            cage of society perhaps keeps all our fates in passivity.

            Laura

          • mekare002@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
              Hey,
              Don't worry about the rambling, that is what we are here for! And about the
              religious thing. You're right, Kafka was Jewish. However, a lot of Jewish
              people are aware of Christian beliefs and practices just as a lot of
              Christians are aware of Jewish beliefs and practices. And, maybe Kafka had no
              clue about the Christian take on his story but the fact that we can see it in
              his story makes it relevant to us and thereby brings Kafka's story into the
              wider world.

              About the idea that Kafka would see the hunger artist shying away from
              society to practice his art. I can see that because I believe that oftentimes
              artist must take a step back from the world they live in day to day and see
              it differently than most people would. And, I like the idea of the artist
              having integrity, to stick by what he believes in. I think that he is the
              last of a dying breed and has decided to go down with the ship as it were.
              Which like you said, shows integrity. However, going down with the ship sort
              of shows us that he really doesn't see the world for what it is, he has a
              narrow view of what he can do and that is it. It would be like someone never
              wanting to move on in life. Yes, he gets better in his own little world but
              most artists try to do different things or they go through stages, while the
              artist just sticks to one thing, yes that shows integrity but in a way
              doesn't it also show stagnation?