Re: [kafka-list] anybody alive?????

  • Payesero@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2003
      yeah man, i think its a great idea to discuss kafka's writing as a group,
      like you were saying, since i think none of us can fully understand all the
      levels of his writing it will help if everybody gives an input, so just pick
      a story and we start!
      frank

    • Wayne Gagnon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2003
        >From: mekare002@...
        >To: kafka-list@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [kafka-list] anybody alive?????
        >Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:08:14 -0500

        Hey all!
        My name is Wayne...I teach freshman comp in New York City...I'll start: I
        want to assign HUNGER ARTIST to my students but am hesitant because it is so
        unusual that appreciation might get lost in stumbling over what it means.
        As corny as it sounds I am considering the REALITY TV approach...to make a
        contemporary analogy with the ready and willing way people put themselves on
        display for their "fifteen minutes." Thoughts?

        >Hey,
        > Maybe we could all read a short story and then discuss it together in a
        >couple of weeks. I know that sounds like work or Lit class and I am sure
        >people are busy but it could be fun and we don't seem to know exactly what
        >to talk about otherwise. We are all here because we like Kafka but we never
        >seem to say much about him, just ask others what they have read. This way
        >we all are on the same page. This might just get the discussion ball
        >rolling. Would anyone be willing to do that or is it suggesting too much?
        >Any other thoughts?
        > Laura
        >BTW- How many of us are there in this discussion group anyway, cause I only
        >ever get a few replies. Are there like five of us or is it that no one
        >cares?
        >

        >"I want to live, I want to experience the universe, and I want to eat pie."
        >- Urgo

      • herzogbr42
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2003
          > Maybe we could all read a short story and then discuss it
          > together in a couple of weeks....

          now that sounds like quite a novel idea for a discussion group. does
          anyone have a suggestion to begin with? a few stories and my
          thoughts on them are available at my website -
          http://www.herzogbr.net/kafka/ - but we are of course not limited to
          those. actually, i'm interested in the story about the guy running
          at you - i don't think i've ever read that. if someone can post the
          name of the story, my vote is to start with that one.

          > BTW- How many of us are there in this discussion group anyway,
          > cause I only ever get a few replies. Are there like five of us
          > or is it that no one cares?

          for the record, there are currently 113 people subscribed to the
          list. however, a list is exactly as active as its members - if there
          are five or five hundred, a worthwhile and interesting discussion is
          still worthwhile and interesting to those who participate.

          for more information, or to modify your list preferences, go to
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kafka-list/. if you have any trouble
          or questions about this list's mechanics, let me know, and i, as your
          humble list moderator, will work on it. take care.

          brian