Re: The Trial

  • bmcgac9686
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1 8:38 AM
      I am not sure I follow you. I will try to give my view, though
      educated, my education is not in literature. Here goes. Through
      most of the book I kept wondering what the hell this trial was
      about. It really didn't matter because the trial was his life, and
      his salvation. I though K was pompous, arrogant, rude, self-
      centered, etc - not what I would consider a decent person. To me it
      seemed like he went through life without regard to others (except,
      for the most part, the asst. manager and bank manager). He was being
      judged on his character and in the end he was guilty and was
      punished. He never gets to meet the higher level lawyers or
      magistrates and is told he never will. I almost viewed them as being
      GOD (or some supreme being or groups of beings).

      I think it was only in the last 2 chapters that it all took meaning
      for me. That's when I figured out what the 'trial' was about and
      when I was really able to see what K was about.

      Those are my thoughts on it. Please respond if you have any thoughts.

      --- In kafka-list@y..., Payesero@a... wrote:
      > Greetings,
      > The trial is indeed a great book of Kafka. The most use
      explanation of what
      > the "book is really about" is the feeling that K. has trough all
      the book, of
      > being guilty. In my opinion that book talks about K as a pedestrian
      in the
      > world of cars, a nonconsumer in a world of buybuybuy, somebody
      outside the
      > boundaries of convention society that must pay for alienating with
      the
      > current flow of the faceless. What about you? what's your opinion
      of the book?
      > Sincerely,
      > payesero

    • james tan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1 5:44 PM
        thanks for sharing.

        i used to think of "the trial" as a metaphor of modern man living: tt we
        feel guilty without quite knowing why. we are not only abandoned, but we are
        condemned as well. the 'why' could be some kind of existential fears.

        james.

        From: "bmcgac9686" <bmcgac9686@...>
        To: kafka-list@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [kafka-list] Re: The Trial