Re: [kafka-list] The Trial

  • CEisi0210@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2002
      You hit the nail on the head, but also the feeling of guilt plays a big role
      in my opinion.

    • bmcgac9686
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
        I am not sure I follow you. I will try to give my view, though
        educated, my education is not in literature. Here goes. Through
        most of the book I kept wondering what the hell this trial was
        about. It really didn't matter because the trial was his life, and
        his salvation. I though K was pompous, arrogant, rude, self-
        centered, etc - not what I would consider a decent person. To me it
        seemed like he went through life without regard to others (except,
        for the most part, the asst. manager and bank manager). He was being
        judged on his character and in the end he was guilty and was
        punished. He never gets to meet the higher level lawyers or
        magistrates and is told he never will. I almost viewed them as being
        GOD (or some supreme being or groups of beings).

        I think it was only in the last 2 chapters that it all took meaning
        for me. That's when I figured out what the 'trial' was about and
        when I was really able to see what K was about.

        Those are my thoughts on it. Please respond if you have any thoughts.

        --- In kafka-list@y..., Payesero@a... wrote:
        > Greetings,
        > The trial is indeed a great book of Kafka. The most use
        explanation of what
        > the "book is really about" is the feeling that K. has trough all
        the book, of
        > being guilty. In my opinion that book talks about K as a pedestrian
        in the
        > world of cars, a nonconsumer in a world of buybuybuy, somebody
        outside the
        > boundaries of convention society that must pay for alienating with
        the
        > current flow of the faceless. What about you? what's your opinion
        of the book?
        > Sincerely,
        > payesero

      • james tan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
          thanks for sharing.

          i used to think of "the trial" as a metaphor of modern man living: tt we
          feel guilty without quite knowing why. we are not only abandoned, but we are
          condemned as well. the 'why' could be some kind of existential fears.

          james.

          From: "bmcgac9686" <bmcgac9686@...>
          To: kafka-list@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [kafka-list] Re: The Trial