The Trial

  • bmcgac9686
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2002
      I have been looking for some kind of discussion on this book. Others
      views on what he is trying to say. This is not for school or
      anything, I just read it for my own. So, don't expect what is
      written here to end up plagerized in some paper somewhere. I just
      don't know anyone else who has read it and it is driving me insane!
    • Payesero@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2002
        Greetings,
        The trial is indeed a great book of Kafka. The most use explanation of what
        the "book is really about" is the feeling that K. has trough all the book, of
        being guilty. In my opinion that book talks about K as a pedestrian in the
        world of cars, a nonconsumer in a world of buybuybuy, somebody outside the
        boundaries of convention society that must pay for alienating with the
        current flow of the faceless. What about you? what's your opinion of the book?
        Sincerely,
        payesero

      • CEisi0210@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2002
          You hit the nail on the head, but also the feeling of guilt plays a big role
          in my opinion.

        • bmcgac9686
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
            I am not sure I follow you. I will try to give my view, though
            educated, my education is not in literature. Here goes. Through
            most of the book I kept wondering what the hell this trial was
            about. It really didn't matter because the trial was his life, and
            his salvation. I though K was pompous, arrogant, rude, self-
            centered, etc - not what I would consider a decent person. To me it
            seemed like he went through life without regard to others (except,
            for the most part, the asst. manager and bank manager). He was being
            judged on his character and in the end he was guilty and was
            punished. He never gets to meet the higher level lawyers or
            magistrates and is told he never will. I almost viewed them as being
            GOD (or some supreme being or groups of beings).

            I think it was only in the last 2 chapters that it all took meaning
            for me. That's when I figured out what the 'trial' was about and
            when I was really able to see what K was about.

            Those are my thoughts on it. Please respond if you have any thoughts.

            --- In kafka-list@y..., Payesero@a... wrote:
            > Greetings,
            > The trial is indeed a great book of Kafka. The most use
            explanation of what
            > the "book is really about" is the feeling that K. has trough all
            the book, of
            > being guilty. In my opinion that book talks about K as a pedestrian
            in the
            > world of cars, a nonconsumer in a world of buybuybuy, somebody
            outside the
            > boundaries of convention society that must pay for alienating with
            the
            > current flow of the faceless. What about you? what's your opinion
            of the book?
            > Sincerely,
            > payesero

          • james tan
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
              thanks for sharing.

              i used to think of "the trial" as a metaphor of modern man living: tt we
              feel guilty without quite knowing why. we are not only abandoned, but we are
              condemned as well. the 'why' could be some kind of existential fears.

              james.

              From: "bmcgac9686" <bmcgac9686@...>
              To: kafka-list@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [kafka-list] Re: The Trial