perception poem

  • brian herzog
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2002
      hey guys-

      i came across a poem that really reminded me of what i think is
      happening in the metamorphosis. i don't know who wrote it or how old it
      is or anything, but it goes something like:

      three men went walking down the road,
      and walking down the road went he:
      the man he was,
      the man they saw,
      and the man he wanted to be.

      i know it's kind of goofy, but i thought it was neat the way it
      illustrates the way that our different selves can be just as legitamte
      as the others, depending on your point of view. in the story, i think
      there are at least a couple of "gregors" floating around: the gregor
      that gregor himself saw when he thought of himself and what he wanted to
      do with his life, the gregor that his family saw when they thought about
      him (or lack thereof), and the actual gregor acting as a cog in the
      samsa household. and basically, that's my whole understanding of the
      story - the problems that arise when people don't work to break down our
      perception barriers to really get to know each other. if we don't, then
      to me, all you are is what i attribute to you, which is not necessarily
      the real you at all. and of course, what you think of yourself might
      not be anything like the real you, either, since we often have pretty
      heavy filters though which we perceive our own lives. it's easier to
      see what we want to see than what is really there, especially if our
      fragile lives depend on not having a lot of friction with the outside
      world.

      so anyway, there you go - just some idle observation for you. i hope
      everyone is doing well. take care.

      brian