Re: [kafka-list] Metamorphosis -as adapted by Berkoff

  • mekare002@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2002
      Markk,
      I'm not exactly sure myself what "period" Metamorphosis is suppossed to be set in. I beleive Gregor had come back from a war. So it could be the late forties but I am more inclined to say it was probably the early twenties because that would be WWI and also because Kafka died in '24 (I think it was '24). As for costumes, they are European so fashion does differ a bit from what it was in the states at that time. Also, they weren't rich, like you said, lower middle-class. So, the clothing shouldn't be too fancy. For some reason, I have always pictured Grete in thick blue and white stipes. But, I don't know that's just me. And I doubt it helps you date anything. Good Luck being Grete.
      Laura