To the guy who searched the key for Verwandlung yesterday

  • Liga Kalnina
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2001
      Unfortunately I lost your name when reinstalling the e-mail program.

      Isn't your problem that you are looking for some special sense to be encoded
      in
      the writings of Kafka? When dealing with his works I'd rather suggest to
      give up the conventional concept that each symbol must have an unambiguous
      meaning (what, at least, irritated me when I started with Kafka), put aside
      the cognitive approach and simply let the text flow work on you.

      Recently I found a 9th century Chinese Zen poem talking, actually, about the
      same matter:

      People ask for the road to Cold Mountain,
      But no road reaches the Cold Mountain.
      Summer sky - still ice won't melt.
      The sun comes out but gets obscured by mist.
      Imitating me, where does that get you?
      My mind isn't like yours.When your mind is like mine
      you can enter here.

      Hanshan (the name of the poet means Cold Mountain)

      Regards,
      Liga
    • markysp9
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2001
        I am beginning to believe that you are right in NOT demanding THE
        definitive explanation to a story. The "effect" is probably much of
        what Kafka was aiming at. Indeed, according to whose commentary you
        read, you will get differing emphasis on what may be represented.
        Some will emphasize the religious imagery, others the Freudian
        symbolism, and still others refer to the autobiographical elements
        found. Take you choice or synthesize it all to aid in understanding.

        Last nite I read "A Country Doctor". Very nightmarish and unsettling.

        Also laughed my ass off reading "A Report To An Academy".

        marcusS
        "There was no attraction for me in imitating human beings; I imitated
        them because I needed a way out, and for no other reason."