What a lovely stand of trees I see out the window.

  • City_of_Hue City_of_Hue
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2001
      To Whom it May Concern

      I am somewhat familiar with Dostoevsky, and less familiar with Kafka. I
      have found that Dostoevsky to be a much better writer in the literary sense,
      and personally, I found that reading Dost. left me feeling more fufilled
      than Kafka. In fact, I would have to say that Kafka was so deep at times,
      that he lost me and likely many other readers. I am still struggling with
      the end of The Trial where there are some kind of creatures guarding a gate
      or entrance way ... and what that all means is well beyond me. Yes, I too
      need help.

      If it was acceptable to people, I would propose putting a story to the
      group, and asking for explanations. The story deals with the Vietnam war
      and a particular group of soldiers who fought in the war. They were LURP's,
      or long range reconnaissance patrols who disappeared for weeks at a time,
      and went well behind enemy lines. They risked much and it took a certain
      type of person to belong to this select group. One war story told by a LURP
      was so deep that it took an experienced reporter about a year to interpret
      it. I still do not understand the story and if the group would like to hear
      it, I will add this to my next email. It reminds me of the ending of The
      Trial, which also went over my head.

      Is there a place for Kafka's type of writing, most certainly. And who am I
      to even dare a critique of a great writer and philosopher although I think
      it would be welcomed. Yet I loved Dost. and found a great comfort bordering
      on revelation in his work. For me, the Brothers Karamazov was likely the
      greatest work I have ever read, not necessarily the easiest to read, but one
      of the greatest. Again, in my humble opinion, reading that story to me, is
      equivalent to reading the Torah, the Bible, or perhaps the Koran. And yet I
      would never say it was trivial, light, or dull. It was a great story told
      by a master storyteller who had to be careful in the way in which it was
      told. And if you know anything about the author, he was somewhat
      unconventional as well.

      I might even be so bold to say that if I was to embark on starting a new
      religion, I would use the Brothers Karamazov as my guide, my inspiration, my
      explanation of what the world holds, or can hold. I never got the same
      feeling from Kafka. I felt like "I know this is supposed to be important, I
      know it's good for me to read this, I just haven't a $%^*@ clue what I am
      reading", and I am not sure if its worth the effort". Well, is it worth the
      effort to read something that you have to constantly fight with?

      However, enough rambling, anyone else care to wade in.

      Signed, on the great train ride through life.

      P.S. I also think this web site is not for homework help, nice remark.

    • mekare002@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2001
        Hello,
        I would be very interested in reading that LURP story. I don't know much about Dostoyovsky but I think it would be fun to try and interpret. Thanks for the chance,
        Laura