A Bug's Life?

  • markysp9
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2001
      New to group and Kafka, here.

      Just read Metamorphosis.

      I kinda have that feeling you have when you go to an art gallery and
      see a "modern art" piece. I can appreciate the Mona Lisas and even
      the Dalis but the canvas on the wall in front of us looks like
      someone took buckets of paint and threw them on the canvas randomly.
      Everyone else is "ohhhing" and "ahhing", commenting on the depth and
      feeling of the painting and you just stand there scratching your head
      wondering why you don't "get it".

      Sometimes a person doesn't appreciate a good joke because they don't
      understand the premise to begin with. Perhaps that is the case here.

      any tips or insights on "how to get it"?

      marcusS
      PS. This is a request for help, not a put-down of Kafka. I have been
      going thru a Dostoevsky phase and have heard that these two are
      loosely categorized together. They seem as different as Bach and Limp
      Buscuit, to use a musical analogy. Thanks.
    • post_erunkowy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2003
        Hello! I'm also new to the group. I think Kafka writes his stories
        quite clear in a very, very simple way. His language doesn't
        consist many decorations. The sentences are short and accurate.
        You don't have to strainghten your mind to know exactly what is
        happening, but... you'll never know WHY it is happening!!!
        BUT I wouldn't compare Kafka's works to any "modern art" piece.
        I'd rather say it's more like a precise scale drawing of an unknown
        building (maybe a castle, but who knows)...
        Regards!
        Tomek

        nevertheless I'm his great fan