Kafka film:

  • estrataproductions
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2009
      Hello,
      My name is Shaun Garea and I am a director based in New Zealand, now I am currently in development for a feature film based on the novel 'The Trial', below is a press release:
      http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0907/S00062.htm

      Now I would first like to hear (if anyone is interested) thoughts on Kafka on film, why previous versions havent or have worked for them and what expectations you have when hearing about 'the trial' in a theatrical context.
      Thanks
    • monique dimattina
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2009
        Hi Shaun
        I am a film/theatre composer and scored an award winning Melb Fringe Fest
        theatre production of The Trial a few years back, put on by Theatre Tarquin.

        The experience for me was mixed. Such great material to work with, yet such
        a slippery slope re. the explorations into nightmare land and how to stage
        the nightmare in a way that remained real enough to the audience. To my
        feeling keeping the nightmare real, pithy, possible was the only way to keep
        the audience engaged and horrified. It needs to relate to their life, not
        disappear into some stylized kind of grotesquery.

        Expectations - I expect grimness, darkness, bleakness, dripping taps,
        1984-esque apartment buildings, shadowy lanes, white faces. Immediately
        bored, I start to wonder about how it might work if the bureacratic horror
        were to descend on a breezy, sunny, leafy suburban setting. Something very
        familiar and normal and safe feeling. If the setting is v bleak to begin
        with the greater audience can't identify with him. If all that we know and
        love and feel comfortable with were to twist against us like a boa we never
        knew was there, that we find has us in it's vice grip before it's too late
        to jump...now that would be truly horrifying. If it couldn't happen to me,
        it's not that scary really.

        Be very interested to hear more about the project - and of course to keep in
        touch re. your musical needs.

        Cheers,
        Monique

        --
        Monique diMattina

        www.moniquedimattina.com
        www.myspace.com/moniquedimattina
        +61 0409 040 111
        +1 347 408 1232

        On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM, estrataproductions <
        estrataproductions@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > My name is Shaun Garea and I am a director based in New Zealand, now I am
        > currently in development for a feature film based on the novel 'The Trial',
        > below is a press release:
        > http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0907/S00062.htm
        >
        > Now I would first like to hear (if anyone is interested) thoughts on Kafka
        > on film, why previous versions havent or have worked for them and what
        > expectations you have when hearing about 'the trial' in a theatrical
        > context.
        > Thanks

      • estrataproductions
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
          Hello Monique,

          Yes you are thinking along the very same lines we are. I would like to post out a Presentation DVD we have made up (they will be ready in November), in it is a detailed outlook of what we are planning to do along woth some test shooting we have already completed.
          If you are interested please send me a contact address here: info@...
          I visited your site and really like your music and would definately like ot discuss more with you at a later date.
          Thanks

          -Shaun