Re: The Trial Ending

  • nightintherosegarden
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
      --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "jepner25" <jepner25@...> wrote:

      > I can't help but feel befuddled and almost helpless at the end of
      this
      > tale. That's it? He's just killed? I read in a foreward of my
      > edition that part of the point of the book was to show his feeling of
      > life itself being a prison. But I just can't rectify how it simply
      > goes from the scene with the priest to him being led to his
      execution.
      > What are your thoughts?

      In the begning of the story he doesnt take his arrest or trial
      serisouly. Gradualy it consumes his whole life, then it ends this is
      far fetched I know but maybe I am not sure how to put it. Maybe its
      that the trial itself killed him, and that scene was a physical
      representation of that. I love that scene in the book I didnt think he
      would be killed, i did not see it coming. When he sees the man leaning
      out of the window with his arms wide open and he thinks something
      like, "was it a good man, a bad man, some who cared" I dont have the
      book with me so I cant recall but it moved me. For me Kafka touches
      something deep inside me. No one is really connected those words
      represented that to me.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2008
        You asked about the story about a bridge; that would be "The Judgment," in which the main
        character debates with his father and then, feeling guilty and inferior, jumps off a bridge at the
        end.

        As for "The Castle": I don't think anyone is meant to be God. I think that the castle officials
        having so much power, and their disconnection from the villagers, is meant to illustrate the
        feelings of futility and alienation the characters must struggle with. It is also part of Kafka's
        absurdist style - where action becomes a labyrinth with unusual, never-ending twists and turns.

        Mostly likely it also reflects a critique of the inefficiency of bureaucracy, which Kafka must
        have dealt with in his insurance job.

        The ending of "The Trial": not sure how I feel about it. I was kind of jolted by it, too, when I
        first read it. Though I don't feel exactly cheated by it. I know that Kafka had difficulty with
        endings, especially in the novels. I'm not even sure whether he had definitely decided he wanted
        "The Trial" to end that way, or whether he was still debating about it and never got to decide
        before he died, and the novel got published posthumously. (He wrote all of the novels close to the
        end of his life.)

        In a way, however, I feel that him being executed in the end was inevitable. The fact is that no
        matter how K. tried to fight against his condition, the authorities were always against him. It
        seems sad and pointless that he is killed - but then his whole trial, based on a charge he has no
        knowledge or understanding of, is the same way, isn't it?

        Andrew

        --- nightintherosegarden <nightintherosegarden@...> wrote:

        > --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "jepner25" <jepner25@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I can't help but feel befuddled and almost helpless at the end of
        > this
        > > tale. That's it? He's just killed? I read in a foreward of my
        > > edition that part of the point of the book was to show his feeling of
        > > life itself being a prison. But I just can't rectify how it simply
        > > goes from the scene with the priest to him being led to his
        > execution.
        > > What are your thoughts?
        > >
        > In the begning of the story he doesnt take his arrest or trial
        > serisouly. Gradualy it consumes his whole life, then it ends this is
        > far fetched I know but maybe I am not sure how to put it. Maybe its
        > that the trial itself killed him, and that scene was a physical
        > representation of that. I love that scene in the book I didnt think he
        > would be killed, i did not see it coming. When he sees the man leaning
        > out of the window with his arms wide open and he thinks something
        > like, "was it a good man, a bad man, some who cared" I dont have the
        > book with me so I cant recall but it moved me. For me Kafka touches
        > something deep inside me. No one is really connected those words
        > represented that to me.

        The phenemonology of the world is for the most part a nightmarish excrescence.--Ballard, The Atrocity Exhibition

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • jane callen
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2008
          Do you think in the castle that frieda was into the assistants, that one part where one of them is in the bed. Plus, her explanation to K about how she feels about the assistatants isn't convincint then it says"she gave a little wave from the upstairs window, it wasnt even clear whether this was a dismissal or greeting,,,,,,,or is just ambigous for the sake of being ambigous?~Jane

          Putrescent Stench of Death <putrescent_stench@...> wrote: You asked about the story about a bridge; that would be "The Judgment," in which the main