Re: [kafka-list] The Trial Ending

  • Payesero@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2007
      hello,
      i find your question very interesting. i am not an academic or a literature student, just somebody that like those books so this is my anserw, it seems that k. accepted that he was guilty and he wanted to punish himself, its very diferent ending then the movie, if you have not seen it i recomend it!, on the movie k. is not accepting but defiant and even take out his killers.? thank you for bringing the kafka list back to life!! it been such a long time since there was any kinda of discussion here.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2007
        I haven't seen the movie. I agree with the first poster in their
        consternation over the ending, though I think your point about K
        feeling himself deserving of punishment may have some relevance.
        Although, I don't know whether it was a matter of feeling he deserved
        it, or merely coming to accept it as an inevitable end.

        In a way, it seems like an easy ending, a rather straightforward way
        of ending the conflict. At the same time, if the whole story is
        supposed to be about life being like a prison, then how else could it
        end than to end with execution--death being the end of life.

        Andrew

        --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, Payesero@... wrote:

        > hello,
        > i find your question very interesting. i am not an academic or a
        literature student, just somebody that like those books so this is my
        anserw, it seems that k. accepted that he was guilty and he wanted to
        punish himself, its very diferent ending then the movie, if you have
        not seen it i recomend it!, on the movie k. is not accepting but
        defiant and even take out his killers.? thank you for bringing the
        kafka list back to life!! it been such a long time since there was any
        kinda of discussion here.
      • nightintherosegarden
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21 9:18 PM
          --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "jepner25" <jepner25@...> wrote:

          > I can't help but feel befuddled and almost helpless at the end of
          this
          > tale. That's it? He's just killed? I read in a foreward of my
          > edition that part of the point of the book was to show his feeling of
          > life itself being a prison. But I just can't rectify how it simply
          > goes from the scene with the priest to him being led to his
          execution.
          > What are your thoughts?

          In the begning of the story he doesnt take his arrest or trial
          serisouly. Gradualy it consumes his whole life, then it ends this is
          far fetched I know but maybe I am not sure how to put it. Maybe its
          that the trial itself killed him, and that scene was a physical
          representation of that. I love that scene in the book I didnt think he
          would be killed, i did not see it coming. When he sees the man leaning
          out of the window with his arms wide open and he thinks something
          like, "was it a good man, a bad man, some who cared" I dont have the
          book with me so I cant recall but it moved me. For me Kafka touches
          something deep inside me. No one is really connected those words
          represented that to me.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22 9:58 AM
            You asked about the story about a bridge; that would be "The Judgment," in which the main
            character debates with his father and then, feeling guilty and inferior, jumps off a bridge at the
            end.

            As for "The Castle": I don't think anyone is meant to be God. I think that the castle officials
            having so much power, and their disconnection from the villagers, is meant to illustrate the
            feelings of futility and alienation the characters must struggle with. It is also part of Kafka's
            absurdist style - where action becomes a labyrinth with unusual, never-ending twists and turns.

            Mostly likely it also reflects a critique of the inefficiency of bureaucracy, which Kafka must
            have dealt with in his insurance job.

            The ending of "The Trial": not sure how I feel about it. I was kind of jolted by it, too, when I
            first read it. Though I don't feel exactly cheated by it. I know that Kafka had difficulty with
            endings, especially in the novels. I'm not even sure whether he had definitely decided he wanted
            "The Trial" to end that way, or whether he was still debating about it and never got to decide
            before he died, and the novel got published posthumously. (He wrote all of the novels close to the
            end of his life.)

            In a way, however, I feel that him being executed in the end was inevitable. The fact is that no
            matter how K. tried to fight against his condition, the authorities were always against him. It
            seems sad and pointless that he is killed - but then his whole trial, based on a charge he has no
            knowledge or understanding of, is the same way, isn't it?

            Andrew

            --- nightintherosegarden <nightintherosegarden@...> wrote:

            > --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "jepner25" <jepner25@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I can't help but feel befuddled and almost helpless at the end of
            > this
            > > tale. That's it? He's just killed? I read in a foreward of my
            > > edition that part of the point of the book was to show his feeling of
            > > life itself being a prison. But I just can't rectify how it simply
            > > goes from the scene with the priest to him being led to his
            > execution.
            > > What are your thoughts?
            > >
            > In the begning of the story he doesnt take his arrest or trial
            > serisouly. Gradualy it consumes his whole life, then it ends this is
            > far fetched I know but maybe I am not sure how to put it. Maybe its
            > that the trial itself killed him, and that scene was a physical
            > representation of that. I love that scene in the book I didnt think he
            > would be killed, i did not see it coming. When he sees the man leaning
            > out of the window with his arms wide open and he thinks something
            > like, "was it a good man, a bad man, some who cared" I dont have the
            > book with me so I cant recall but it moved me. For me Kafka touches
            > something deep inside me. No one is really connected those words
            > represented that to me.

            The phenemonology of the world is for the most part a nightmarish excrescence.--Ballard, The Atrocity Exhibition

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • jane callen
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 23 10:21 AM
              Do you think in the castle that frieda was into the assistants, that one part where one of them is in the bed. Plus, her explanation to K about how she feels about the assistatants isn't convincint then it says"she gave a little wave from the upstairs window, it wasnt even clear whether this was a dismissal or greeting,,,,,,,or is just ambigous for the sake of being ambigous?~Jane

              Putrescent Stench of Death <putrescent_stench@...> wrote: You asked about the story about a bridge; that would be "The Judgment," in which the main