The Trial Ending

  • jepner25
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17 5:16 PM
      I can't help but feel befuddled and almost helpless at the end of this
      tale. That's it? He's just killed? I read in a foreward of my
      edition that part of the point of the book was to show his feeling of
      life itself being a prison. But I just can't rectify how it simply
      goes from the scene with the priest to him being led to his execution.
      What are your thoughts?
    • Payesero@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18 5:48 PM
        hello,
        i find your question very interesting. i am not an academic or a literature student, just somebody that like those books so this is my anserw, it seems that k. accepted that he was guilty and he wanted to punish himself, its very diferent ending then the movie, if you have not seen it i recomend it!, on the movie k. is not accepting but defiant and even take out his killers.? thank you for bringing the kafka list back to life!! it been such a long time since there was any kinda of discussion here.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18 8:47 PM
          I haven't seen the movie. I agree with the first poster in their
          consternation over the ending, though I think your point about K
          feeling himself deserving of punishment may have some relevance.
          Although, I don't know whether it was a matter of feeling he deserved
          it, or merely coming to accept it as an inevitable end.

          In a way, it seems like an easy ending, a rather straightforward way
          of ending the conflict. At the same time, if the whole story is
          supposed to be about life being like a prison, then how else could it
          end than to end with execution--death being the end of life.

          Andrew

          --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, Payesero@... wrote:

          > hello,
          > i find your question very interesting. i am not an academic or a
          literature student, just somebody that like those books so this is my
          anserw, it seems that k. accepted that he was guilty and he wanted to
          punish himself, its very diferent ending then the movie, if you have
          not seen it i recomend it!, on the movie k. is not accepting but
          defiant and even take out his killers.? thank you for bringing the
          kafka list back to life!! it been such a long time since there was any
          kinda of discussion here.
        • nightintherosegarden
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
            --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "jepner25" <jepner25@...> wrote:

            > I can't help but feel befuddled and almost helpless at the end of
            this
            > tale. That's it? He's just killed? I read in a foreward of my
            > edition that part of the point of the book was to show his feeling of
            > life itself being a prison. But I just can't rectify how it simply
            > goes from the scene with the priest to him being led to his
            execution.
            > What are your thoughts?

            In the begning of the story he doesnt take his arrest or trial
            serisouly. Gradualy it consumes his whole life, then it ends this is
            far fetched I know but maybe I am not sure how to put it. Maybe its
            that the trial itself killed him, and that scene was a physical
            representation of that. I love that scene in the book I didnt think he
            would be killed, i did not see it coming. When he sees the man leaning
            out of the window with his arms wide open and he thinks something
            like, "was it a good man, a bad man, some who cared" I dont have the
            book with me so I cant recall but it moved me. For me Kafka touches
            something deep inside me. No one is really connected those words
            represented that to me.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22, 2008
              You asked about the story about a bridge; that would be "The Judgment," in which the main
              character debates with his father and then, feeling guilty and inferior, jumps off a bridge at the
              end.

              As for "The Castle": I don't think anyone is meant to be God. I think that the castle officials
              having so much power, and their disconnection from the villagers, is meant to illustrate the
              feelings of futility and alienation the characters must struggle with. It is also part of Kafka's
              absurdist style - where action becomes a labyrinth with unusual, never-ending twists and turns.

              Mostly likely it also reflects a critique of the inefficiency of bureaucracy, which Kafka must
              have dealt with in his insurance job.

              The ending of "The Trial": not sure how I feel about it. I was kind of jolted by it, too, when I
              first read it. Though I don't feel exactly cheated by it. I know that Kafka had difficulty with
              endings, especially in the novels. I'm not even sure whether he had definitely decided he wanted
              "The Trial" to end that way, or whether he was still debating about it and never got to decide
              before he died, and the novel got published posthumously. (He wrote all of the novels close to the
              end of his life.)

              In a way, however, I feel that him being executed in the end was inevitable. The fact is that no
              matter how K. tried to fight against his condition, the authorities were always against him. It
              seems sad and pointless that he is killed - but then his whole trial, based on a charge he has no
              knowledge or understanding of, is the same way, isn't it?

              Andrew

              --- nightintherosegarden <nightintherosegarden@...> wrote:

              > --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "jepner25" <jepner25@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I can't help but feel befuddled and almost helpless at the end of
              > this
              > > tale. That's it? He's just killed? I read in a foreward of my
              > > edition that part of the point of the book was to show his feeling of
              > > life itself being a prison. But I just can't rectify how it simply
              > > goes from the scene with the priest to him being led to his
              > execution.
              > > What are your thoughts?
              > >
              > In the begning of the story he doesnt take his arrest or trial
              > serisouly. Gradualy it consumes his whole life, then it ends this is
              > far fetched I know but maybe I am not sure how to put it. Maybe its
              > that the trial itself killed him, and that scene was a physical
              > representation of that. I love that scene in the book I didnt think he
              > would be killed, i did not see it coming. When he sees the man leaning
              > out of the window with his arms wide open and he thinks something
              > like, "was it a good man, a bad man, some who cared" I dont have the
              > book with me so I cant recall but it moved me. For me Kafka touches
              > something deep inside me. No one is really connected those words
              > represented that to me.

              The phenemonology of the world is for the most part a nightmarish excrescence.--Ballard, The Atrocity Exhibition

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            • jane callen
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 23, 2008
                Do you think in the castle that frieda was into the assistants, that one part where one of them is in the bed. Plus, her explanation to K about how she feels about the assistatants isn't convincint then it says"she gave a little wave from the upstairs window, it wasnt even clear whether this was a dismissal or greeting,,,,,,,or is just ambigous for the sake of being ambigous?~Jane

                Putrescent Stench of Death <putrescent_stench@...> wrote: You asked about the story about a bridge; that would be "The Judgment," in which the main