Re: Met my fiance here, hehe

  • maddrb
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      I doubt Kafka would have used online dating services, given they had
      existed 80+ years ago.

      I picked up a couple of books about Kafka's love life recently, used
      books which I found hiding on the shelves of a book store and were
      marked for a reasonable price, but I haven't read any of them--was
      there a particular interest in this part of his life a few years
      back? I've been busy reading new translations into English of much of
      his original work these last few years and have generally been
      avoiding those biographies and critical studies of his love life
      (although I still buy anything with Kafka in the title, it seems).
      Does anyone have a suggestion of a good biography which doesn't paint
      the man as some cultural icon? Actually, I'd be interested to read
      more about his family and sisters rather than more speculation about
      his sexual potency--I enjoyed reading the letters to his family and
      wonder how much more might be out there.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
        Although his relationships were signficantly based on
        communication via letters--especially with Felice,
        they seem to take up more of the relationship than
        actual personal interaction....

        I still think that Ernst Pawell's "Nightmare of
        Reason" is the most engaging bio of Kafka. I began
        reading Murray's book but lost interest, as it seemed
        most of it had already been covered by previous
        commentators (although he does do a tad bit of
        critical analysis of Kafka's stories which are
        interesting).

        Bis

        --- maddrb <maddrb@...> wrote:

        > I doubt Kafka would have used online dating
        > services, given they had
        > existed 80+ years ago.
        >
        > I picked up a couple of books about Kafka's love
        > life recently, used
        > books which I found hiding on the shelves of a book
        > store and were
        > marked for a reasonable price, but I haven't read
        > any of them--was
        > there a particular interest in this part of his life
        > a few years
        > back? I've been busy reading new translations into
        > English of much of
        > his original work these last few years and have
        > generally been
        > avoiding those biographies and critical studies of
        > his love life
        > (although I still buy anything with Kafka in the
        > title, it seems).
        > Does anyone have a suggestion of a good biography
        > which doesn't paint
        > the man as some cultural icon? Actually, I'd be
        > interested to read
        > more about his family and sisters rather than more
        > speculation about
        > his sexual potency--I enjoyed reading the letters to
        > his family and
        > wonder how much more might be out there.

        Often times the cruellest lies are those told in silence.--Robert Louis Stevenson

        I am responsible for everything except my own responsibility.--Jean-Paul Sartre

        http://mail.yahoo.com