Re: [kafka-list] please help

  • Cady godess
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
      I would think the ovious reason would be that they all
      relate to fathers and sons but I have only read
      metamorphis and Judgement but family relations are
      important in both stories and also the fact that they
      are sons and the pressure that it puts on them relates
      to the story but I dont know what the secret reason
      could be.

      --- Putrescent Stench of Death
      <putrescent_stench@...> wrote:

      > Probably the obvious reason is that Kafka considered
      > those 3 works his most well-written. The secret
      > reason, although it may not seem that secret to us,
      > is
      > that the stories all reflect Kafka's problems with
      > his
      > family life, particularly with his father. The title
      > of the collection is "The Sons" after all.
      >
      > Hope that helps.
      >
      > Andy
      >

      > --- Ariela Svei <leebes12@...> wrote:
      >
      > > i am really hoping that someone could help me. I
      > > need to write a paper in my english comp class. We
      > > read Kafka's The Sons (which consists of the
      > > metamorphisis, the judgement and the stoker) and
      > his
      > > letter to his father. Kafka told his editor that
      > he
      > > wanted these three stories together for an obvious
      > > reason and for a secret reason. and now i have to
      > > write an essay on these 2 reasons. but im really
      > > having problems finding the connections. any help
      > is
      > > greatly appreaciated. thank you so much

      > > removed]
      > >

      > =====
      > For the most part the phenomenology of the world is
      > a nightmarish excrescence.
      >

      > All these buildings. What did Talbert want to
      > do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      =====
      Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
      Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
      Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
      ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
        "The Stoker," which is actually now placed as the
        first chapter of the novel _Amerika_ (although
        sometimes appearing by itself), does not directly
        involve a father-son relationship (nor does the rest
        of _Amerika_), yet Kafka wanted to include it in _The
        Sons_. I've never quite understood this. Karl
        Rossmann, the main protagonist of the story, is kicked
        out of his house (coincidentally located in
        Prague..hmm) by his parents for having had relations
        with a servant and getting her pregnant. Not much more
        is said of his parents, other than that he values the
        picture of them he carries around very much.

        The story does, though only slightly, deal with the
        relationship between a boy and his uncle (which is
        expanded upon by the rest of the novel); the same boy
        also has somewhat of an attachment to the eponymous
        character, and seeks to defend him. Could it be that
        Kafka wanted to defend his father against his own
        accusations that he leveled against the old man? Or
        could it be that I've got it wrong -- that the boy is
        the father, and the stoker Kafka, his father defending
        him, instead of accusing him?

        Andrew

        =====
        For the most part the phenomenology of the world is a nightmarish excrescence.

        All these buildings. What did Talbert want to do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Cady godess
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
          I really like the idea of Kafka defnding his father
          agianst the world or maybe trying to understand him.
          Espcially as the father in the Judgement is so crazzy.
          And I know from past experience in literture it does
          not always have to be literal relationship between
          father and son. So the Uncle and nephew relationship
          could work as well.

          --- Putrescent Stench of Death