Re: [kafka-list] please help

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
      Probably the obvious reason is that Kafka considered
      those 3 works his most well-written. The secret
      reason, although it may not seem that secret to us, is
      that the stories all reflect Kafka's problems with his
      family life, particularly with his father. The title
      of the collection is "The Sons" after all.

      Hope that helps.

      Andy

      --- Ariela Svei <leebes12@...> wrote:

      > i am really hoping that someone could help me. I
      > need to write a paper in my english comp class. We
      > read Kafka's The Sons (which consists of the
      > metamorphisis, the judgement and the stoker) and his
      > letter to his father. Kafka told his editor that he
      > wanted these three stories together for an obvious
      > reason and for a secret reason. and now i have to
      > write an essay on these 2 reasons. but im really
      > having problems finding the connections. any help is
      > greatly appreaciated. thank you so much

      > removed]

      =====
      For the most part the phenomenology of the world is a nightmarish excrescence.

      All these buildings. What did Talbert want to do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Cady godess
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
        I would think the ovious reason would be that they all
        relate to fathers and sons but I have only read
        metamorphis and Judgement but family relations are
        important in both stories and also the fact that they
        are sons and the pressure that it puts on them relates
        to the story but I dont know what the secret reason
        could be.

        --- Putrescent Stench of Death
        <putrescent_stench@...> wrote:

        > Probably the obvious reason is that Kafka considered
        > those 3 works his most well-written. The secret
        > reason, although it may not seem that secret to us,
        > is
        > that the stories all reflect Kafka's problems with
        > his
        > family life, particularly with his father. The title
        > of the collection is "The Sons" after all.
        >
        > Hope that helps.
        >
        > Andy
        >

        > --- Ariela Svei <leebes12@...> wrote:
        >
        > > i am really hoping that someone could help me. I
        > > need to write a paper in my english comp class. We
        > > read Kafka's The Sons (which consists of the
        > > metamorphisis, the judgement and the stoker) and
        > his
        > > letter to his father. Kafka told his editor that
        > he
        > > wanted these three stories together for an obvious
        > > reason and for a secret reason. and now i have to
        > > write an essay on these 2 reasons. but im really
        > > having problems finding the connections. any help
        > is
        > > greatly appreaciated. thank you so much

        > > removed]
        > >

        > =====
        > For the most part the phenomenology of the world is
        > a nightmarish excrescence.
        >

        > All these buildings. What did Talbert want to
        > do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

        > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

        =====
        Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
        Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
        Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
        ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
          "The Stoker," which is actually now placed as the
          first chapter of the novel _Amerika_ (although
          sometimes appearing by itself), does not directly
          involve a father-son relationship (nor does the rest
          of _Amerika_), yet Kafka wanted to include it in _The
          Sons_. I've never quite understood this. Karl
          Rossmann, the main protagonist of the story, is kicked
          out of his house (coincidentally located in
          Prague..hmm) by his parents for having had relations
          with a servant and getting her pregnant. Not much more
          is said of his parents, other than that he values the
          picture of them he carries around very much.

          The story does, though only slightly, deal with the
          relationship between a boy and his uncle (which is
          expanded upon by the rest of the novel); the same boy
          also has somewhat of an attachment to the eponymous
          character, and seeks to defend him. Could it be that
          Kafka wanted to defend his father against his own
          accusations that he leveled against the old man? Or
          could it be that I've got it wrong -- that the boy is
          the father, and the stoker Kafka, his father defending
          him, instead of accusing him?

          Andrew

          =====
          For the most part the phenomenology of the world is a nightmarish excrescence.

          All these buildings. What did Talbert want to do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Cady godess
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
            I really like the idea of Kafka defnding his father
            agianst the world or maybe trying to understand him.
            Espcially as the father in the Judgement is so crazzy.
            And I know from past experience in literture it does
            not always have to be literal relationship between
            father and son. So the Uncle and nephew relationship
            could work as well.

            --- Putrescent Stench of Death