Re: [kafka-list] hi everyone

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2004
      Welcome Sari. It's a little quiet around here right
      now.

      What is it that you like about Kafka? Do you find his
      life as interesting as his writing? You have a quote
      from Kafka in another language in your post...what is
      that, Arabic? Have you read Kafka in English or in
      another language?
      Andy

      --- Duygu SARI <sariduygu@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I'm Duyg from Turkey. i'm a huge fun of Kafka for
      > about 4-5 years. i'd like to share some infos about
      > him and discuss his personality and masterpieces....
      > it's good to be here :) ciao
      >
      > -Duygu
      >

      > "�yi, bir yan�yla rahats�z edicidir...." F.Kafka

      > removed]

      > --------------------~-->
      > Toolbar.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/QDXplB/TM

      For the most part the phenomenology of the world is a nightmarish excrescence.

      All these buildings. What did Talbert want to do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Mehmet K.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2004
        Hello Duygu and all humbles,

        It is good to hear a voice from Turkey. I would like to share a very essential observation about Kafka by his closest friend Max Brod:

        "I have experienced over and over again that admirers of Kafka who know him only from his books have a completely false picture of him. They think he must have made a sad, even desperate impression in company too. The opposite is the case. One felt well when one was with him. The richness of his thoughts, which he generally uttered in a cheerful tone, made him, to put it on the lowest level, one of the most amusing of men I ever met, in spite of his shyness, in spite of his quietness. He talked very little; when there a lot of people he often didn't speak for hours on end. But when he did say something, everybody had to listen immediately, because it was always something full of meat, something that hit the nail on the head. And in an intimate conversation his tongue sometimes ran away with itself in the most astounding manner. He could be enthusiastic and carried away. There was no end to our joking and laughing-he liked a good, hearty laugh, and knew how to make his friends laugh too. More than that, if one were in a tight corner, one could unhesitatingly rely on his knowledge of the world, his tact, and his advice, which hardly ever failed to be right. He was a wonderfully helpful friend. It was only in his own case that he was perplexed, helpless-an impression that, owing to his self-controlled bearing, one didn't get in personal contact with him except in rare, extreme cases, but one which is undoubtedly deepened, all the same, when one reads his diary. The fact that from his books, and above all from his diary, such a totally different, much more depressing, picture may be drawn than when it is corrected and supplemented by the impressions one can add from having lived with him day by day-that is one of the reasons that persuaded me to write theses memories. The portrait from life of Kafka that remains in the memory of our circle stands alongside his writings, and demands to be taken into account in any final judgement of him." (Max Brod, Franz Kafka: A Biography, pp. 40-41)

        I'm Duyg from Turkey. i'm a huge fun of Kafka for about 4-5 years. i'd like to share some infos about him and discuss his personality and masterpieces....
        it's good to be here :) ciao

        -Duygu

        "Ýyi, bir yanýyla rahatsýz edicidir...." F.Kafka

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • alexandra de vos
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 27, 2004
          to Duygu: noeliniz ve yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun ( I once learned a few lines
          of Turkish from a Turkish love.)

          I'm also a newcomer on this list and I hope to learn a bit from all of you.
          The past two years I have been a literary reviewer for a Belgian newspaper
          but none of the present day authors come close to the genius and humanity of
          Kafka (imo). And I'll never find a story again with the impact of "The
          Metamorphosis." Maybe this is also due to the fact that I was very young
          when I first read it. Along with Rimbaud, Kafka was my first love in
          literature and he still is an absolute favourite.

          Mehmet, thanks for sharing the Max Brod lines. I haven't yet read his
          biography of Kafka, but I was moved by Gustav Janousch' "Conversations with
          Kafka". Janousch describes his older friend as thoughtful, lonely, and
          oversensitive, but with a very sharp mind and with a fatherly attitude
          towards him. I remember a line: "K was strenght combined with an anxious
          sensitivity, the kind of strenght that finds the trivial things in life the
          most difficult to bare".

          A happy New Year to all!

          Alexandra

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 28, 2004
            Mehmet thanks a lot for Brod Lines,

            As a reader who knows Kafka from his books, i'd never thought that he has no humor senses or he is not a nice talking person. it's very nice to know from Brod that Kafka was very nice person , not sulky.I've always thought Kafka has a great sense of humor. when i read the book he written, i could realize it. it's a kind of tragedy-comedy, in other word grotesque. it makes me laugh and hurt me in the same time. and i think when he was laughing and mading jokes, he would also felt the hurt deep inside of his heart. i guess, he was thinking about the (his) real life, the life he was living between 4 walls. he was always asking himself that "why can not i laugh MORE?"
            cause are many...his father, his job, his unfortunate fate (he thought)...

            i believe that if he could reach his own virtues and see them with his own eyes, he would have been laugh more....

            -to be continue.... :)

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 28, 2004
              Hi p.s.o.d. (i hope you don't mind about my addressing for your nickname :)

              well, there are lots of answers i can give to your questions. let's make them in order :)

              I like Kafka cuz i find him very closer to myself. maybe i'm a bit brave about "living life" but i definetly look at the same direction about my self. i know it's so diffucult for a person to be. frankly speaking i'm trying to proove my self and treat myself much more understanding...

              well, i think his basic or social life is not interesting at all..there is no big disase, no intrigue..etc.
              but his character and point of view for life, people...is very interesting. but as i said, i find him very closer to myself, so i guess "interesting" is not the correct word for me..maybe it is " a good coincidence" :)

              here is Turkey, so the quote is not arabic, it's Turkish...i guess i should tell about the big difference about Arabia and Turkey in a while. cuz it's very unpleasent to be compared with another country or culture.....

              anyway, maybe i can translate the quote as : "the 'good' is annoying in someway.."

              i read Kafka in Turkish, well...Kafka is a well known writer in here as a title. but to be honest, i haven't meet anyone who likes reading him as much as i love..

              "�yi, bir yan�yla rahats�z edicidir...." F.Kafka