Kafka and Cioran

  • Jan Van Biervliet
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2004
      If you like Kafka, you might like Cioran.

      All about the Life and Works of Emil Cioran. Cioran, the most
      important Euro philosopher and psychologist of the last century.

      http://www.geocities.com/PlanetCioran

      Subscribe:
      PlanetCioran-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Man is the great deserter of being.
      - The Fall into Time

      Suffering makes you live time in detail, moment after moment. Which
      is to say that it exists for you: over the others, the ones who
      don't suffer, time flows, so that they don't live in time, in fact
      they never have.
      - The New Gods

      Only paradise or the sea could make me give up music.

      To fear is to die every minute.

      A heart without music is like beauty without melancholy.
      - Tears and Saints

      What to think of other people?
      I ask myself this question each time I make a new acquaintance.
      So strange does it seem to me that we exist,and consent to exist.

      We live in the false as long as we have not suffered.
      But when we begin to suffer,we enter the truth only to regret the
      false.
      - Drawn and Quartered

      Say what we will, death is the best thing nature has found to
      please everyone. With each of us, everything vanishes,everything
      stops forever. What an advantage, what an abuse! Without the least
      effort on our part, we own the universe, we drag it into our own
      disappearance. No doubt about it, dying is immoralÂ…

      My mission is to suffer for all those who suffer without knowing it.
      I must pay for them, expiate their unconsciousness, their luck to be
      ignorant of how unhappy they are.

      The poor, by thinking unceasingly of money, reach the point of
      losing the spiritual advantages of non-possession, thereby sinking
      as low as the rich.
      - The Trouble with Being Born