Hi

  • brianhho@tmail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10 6:39 PM
      Hi everyone. I am going to attend a play of "Metamorphisis" tomorrow
      night. I love the works of Kafka.. He is my hero. I was wondering if
      anyone can recommend a web site that has his works (to be read) online?
    • S.C. van der Wall
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11 3:47 AM
        www.kafka.org contains all the work that has been published in the critical edition. It is in german, but i think it is also a place where you can find translations.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13 7:29 PM
          I second the recommendation of www.kafka.org. It has a
          lot of interesting essays & info. However it only has
          Kafka's works in German, not in English (the site
          itself says that the translastions are protected by
          copyright, so it's unlikely you'll find them on the
          net). I would say if you're into Kafka that much buy a
          story collection or his novels. It's well worth it.
          You can get the "Complete Stories" which has all his
          shorter fiction in it, although some don't like the
          translations. Personally I would rather have the
          convenience of a complete collection, and would say
          that would be a good place to start, just be aware
          that there are different versions that can change the
          way you read the stories.

          If you're concerned about money try a used bookstore.
          They really can offer a lot. I found The Trial ($7)
          and the Castle ($5) there, as well as Ernst Pawell's
          biography of Kafka, The Nightmare of Reason ($8).
          There's bound to be SOME Kafka in a used bookstore in
          your area. And if all else fails, there's the library.

          Let us know how the play goes! I haven't heard much
          about Kafka's stuff being done in drama form. I'm not
          sure if "Metamorphosis" is that good of a choice,
          since Kafka did not want Gregor to be shown. It also
          has the potential to be silly, with a huge bug running
          around on stage....But I'm curious to know what it was
          like.

          Andrew

          --- brianhho@... wrote:

          > Hi everyone. I am going to attend a play of
          > "Metamorphisis" tomorrow
          > night. I love the works of Kafka.. He is my hero. I
          > was wondering if
          > anyone can recommend a web site that has his works
          > (to be read) online?

          For the most part the phenomenology of the world is a nightmarish excrescence.

          All these buildings. What did Talbert want to do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • brianhho@tmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13 8:16 PM
            Thanks for the great information and advice!
            I hope in the future there will be more English translations available.
            Regarding the play.. Gregor was unfortunately shown...but the appearance
            of the insect was left to our imagination. Not a bad bit of acting by
            the guy who played Gregor... There were a couple beautiful flash back
            scenes showing Gregor remembering his life when he was not an insect.
            But there was not enough of Gregor's painful internal dialogue (just my
            opinion, of course).
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14 12:22 PM
              I always wondered if it would work better in play form
              if they just had Gregor played by an actor without any
              insect costume, still acting like an insect of course,
              but just without any of the "appearance." And then
              perhaps giving monologues to echo Kafka's narration of
              Gregor's feelings.

              Still, I'm glad you enjoyed the play.

              If you do look for an English translation, try to find
              one that renders the 1st sentence of The Metamorphosis
              as "One morning Gregor Samsa woke from uneasy dreams
              to find himself transformed into a monstrous vermin."
              This is more accurate to the original German than the
              versions that say "transformed into a giant insect" or
              even "giant bettle/cockroach." Kafka was never that
              specific.

              Andrew

              http://vote.yahoo.com
            • brianhho@tmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14 12:29 PM
                Really? That's interesting..he never never was specific what kind of
                insect it was?
              • brianhho@tmail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 14 8:14 PM
                  Thanks for the great feedback... Would anyone be interested in chatting
                  online (online weekly group?) about different Kafka stories?
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 15 6:37 AM
                    No, not at all. In fact, as I said, he never used the
                    actual word "insect," which sounds more scientific
                    than the word Kafka used - "vermin," a word with a
                    much dirtier and creepier feel to it. The story of
                    course describes Gregor having multiple legs and a
                    hard back etc. like a bug, but is never specific to
                    what kind of creature Gregor has actually turned into.
                    The cleaning lady called him a "dung beetle," but
                    that's not necessarily what he was - some say think he
                    was cockroach.

                    Andrew