Re: [kafka-list] Gregor REALLY a bug?

  • Priya Subramaniam
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
      i don't think that you can apply ordinary standards of storytelling to
      kafka's works. ie, it's not either "metaphorical" or "literal"- rather, it
      is both at the same time- it's up to the reader to think about it and decide
      (if possible- I know that I am still unsure about 'metamorphosis'!)

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 22, 2004
        Yes, well part of what I love about Kafka is the
        surreal quality. I like that Gregor actaully turns
        into a bug. I think that adds to the beauty of his
        story telling.

        --- Priya Subramaniam <liminalspace@...>
        wrote:

        > i don't think that you can apply ordinary standards
        > of storytelling to
        > kafka's works. ie, it's not either "metaphorical" or
        > "literal"- rather, it
        > is both at the same time- it's up to the reader to
        > think about it and decide
        > (if possible- I know that I am still unsure about
        > 'metamorphosis'!)

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • Leslie Connors
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 22, 2004
          Surreal directly implies a dream state, thus Gregor is in the opiated environ of the bureaucracy. To believe he actually was a bug is rather concrete.
          Leslie

          wrote:

          > i don't think that you can apply ordinary standards
          > of storytelling to
          > kafka's works. ie, it's not either "metaphorical" or
          > "literal"- rather, it
          > is both at the same time- it's up to the reader to
          > think about it and decide
          > (if possible- I know that I am still unsure about
          > 'metamorphosis'!)

        • Cady godess
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 26, 2004
            I think that it is impossible to say that a human
            turning into a bug is concrete. I have never known
            anyone to turn into a bug.

            =====

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 26, 2004
              Cady, you're a bright person, look at your response. You made my point for me.
              Leslie

              =====
              Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
              Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
              Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
              ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 27, 2004
                Something can be written in a concrete, or literal,
                context, without actually having happened in real
                life.

                There's nothing in the text itself that implies the
                transformation is "surreal" or "a dream." Kafka often
                writes about things happening that don't happen in
                real life (as far as we know), and these events are
                symbolic, but to be a symbol, something must first be
                the thing it is before it can be what it symbolizes.
                Kafka's style is very dry, mundane, and unadorned, I
                think that's because he wanted the events to seem more
                believable. When something is surreal, there is an
                ambiguity as to what's happening, what's being
                represented. Kafka's writing isn't like that at all.
                It's mundane, clear, and precise. Think of painting.
                Salvador Dali is surrealist. Kafka would be more like
                the modernist painting of the fall of Icarus; the
                majority of the painting is taken up by workers
                plowing in a field, showing everyday activities, and
                in the background, there's a little figure falling
                from the sky, barely noticable. This is more Kafka's
                style to me.

                How can the story go on after Gregor is dead if he's
                dreaming it? Also, if it's a dream, why is it told
                through 3rd person? There's a difference between
                soemthing having metaphorical implications, and
                actually being a metaphor.

                I actually think it's important that Gregor's
                metamorphosis is a literal one. If his change is just
                a dream, then the whole story is a kind of "trick,"
                and nothing significant is really coming from the
                change. However, if it is a literal change, then there
                is a definite revelation going on, to Gregor and to
                the people around him.

                Andrew

                =====
                For the most part the phenomenology of the world is a nightmarish excrescence.

                All these buildings. What did Talbert want to do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

                http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
              • Cady godess
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 29, 2004
                  Very interesting.

                  --- Putrescent Stench of Death
                  <putrescent_stench@...> wrote:
                  > Something can be written in a concrete, or literal,
                  > context, without actually having happened in real
                  > life.
                  >
                  > There's nothing in the text itself that implies the
                  > transformation is "surreal" or "a dream." Kafka
                  > often
                  > writes about things happening that don't happen in
                  > real life (as far as we know), and these events are
                  > symbolic, but to be a symbol, something must first
                  > be
                  > the thing it is before it can be what it symbolizes.
                  > Kafka's style is very dry, mundane, and unadorned, I
                  > think that's because he wanted the events to seem
                  > more
                  > believable. When something is surreal, there is an
                  > ambiguity as to what's happening, what's being
                  > represented. Kafka's writing isn't like that at all.
                  > It's mundane, clear, and precise. Think of painting.
                  > Salvador Dali is surrealist. Kafka would be more
                  > like
                  > the modernist painting of the fall of Icarus; the
                  > majority of the painting is taken up by workers
                  > plowing in a field, showing everyday activities, and
                  > in the background, there's a little figure falling
                  > from the sky, barely noticable. This is more Kafka's
                  > style to me.
                  >
                  > How can the story go on after Gregor is dead if he's
                  > dreaming it? Also, if it's a dream, why is it told
                  > through 3rd person? There's a difference between
                  > soemthing having metaphorical implications, and
                  > actually being a metaphor.
                  >
                  > I actually think it's important that Gregor's
                  > metamorphosis is a literal one. If his change is
                  > just
                  > a dream, then the whole story is a kind of "trick,"
                  > and nothing significant is really coming from the
                  > change. However, if it is a literal change, then
                  > there
                  > is a definite revelation going on, to Gregor and to
                  > the people around him.
                  >
                  > Andrew
                  >
                  > =====
                  > For the most part the phenomenology of the world is
                  > a nightmarish excrescence.
                  >

                  > All these buildings. What did Talbert want to
                  > do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

                  > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool.
                  > Try it!
                  > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

                  =====
                  Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
                  Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
                  Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
                  ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                • Mykel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4, 2004
                    it's has been said that maybe Gregor was dead from the start, that
                    in fact the metamorphosis in itself is "DEATH" that DEATH is the
                    final form.

                    In my mind as I read the metamorphisis . I noticed that this
                    metamorphisis doesn't take place EVER. if GREGOR is a BUG when he
                    awakes. We as the reader never SEE ANY METAMORPHOSIS?... however we
                    do witness the family metamorphosis. Right in front of our eyes...
                    they change constantly. The story continues after Gregor dies from
                    an apple wound... because the metamorphosis has yet to be
                    witnessed... Specially the sister who goes from young girl who in
                    the beginning is CRYING while Gregor's boss comes to check up on
                    him... to WORKING WOMEN.. worthy to be married off.

                    --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, Cady godess <cady_godess@y...>