introducing the grotesque

  • Andrew Sydlik
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2004
      As a new member of what I hope will be a fairly active list, I thought
      I would introduce myself. My name is Andrew, I'm from near Pittsburgh,
      Pennsylvania, USA, and have a bachelor's in English/Creative Writing
      from Penn State. I'm 23 years old.
      It has only been about a year and a half since I got into Kafka. I had
      read "A Hunger Artist" about 100 times in high school and college, but
      while I liked the story, I didn't study Kafka beyond that. I graduated
      in May 2002 and in December that year I got Kafka's "Complete Stories"
      as a Christmas present. I'm not sure why I asked for it over any of
      the other hundreds of books I wanted, but I'm glad I did. It took me
      until just a few weeks ago to finish the whole thing, as I'm always
      reading various things at once, but even early on after I had finished
      the first few stories I realized that Kafka had become my favorite
      author. My adoration only increased as I read on. Now I have to read
      the novels and the diaries.
      Kafka's stories have impacted me more than anything I've ever read.
      While you would think that liking him so much would make me read the
      collection quickly, it actually had the opposite effect. Besides being
      a procrastinator, each story made me want to sit back and reflect on
      it, to more fully absorb it. And several times I have jumped back and
      forth, reading certain stories multiple times. No other writer has
      touched me on such a personal and emotional level as he, or influenced
      my other writing so heavily. While my style is not always quite
      Kafkaesque, I think some of the devices and concepts are similar, if
      not executed in the same way. I've written a multi-section poem, with
      one section titled "The Kafka Transition." I'm also working on a play
      called "The Visitor" which is more stylistically "Kafkaesque" and
      almost a blatant tribute (read: rip-off) to "Blumfeld, An Elderly
      Bachelor."

      That's about it for now. I look forward to talking with more people
      interested about this passion of mine.