Re: [kafka-list] Re: The Metamorphosis

  • Cady godess
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2004
      Well I think part of problem maybe that you have to
      define depression. You used the word sad which to me
      is just a lesser form of depression.

      --- jaimejwilson2000 <jaimej_wilson@...>

      =====
      Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
      Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
      Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
      ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Leslie Connors
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 17, 2004
        He is Everyman- depression is irrevalent, since no one can be livin' la vida loca in a bureaucratic structure. Powerless, of course, and this would internalize as depression, but not mental illness, because it is a natural reaction to a foreign imposition (hierarchy/bureaucracy and the resultant distancing of one experiences from one's life essence due to stereotyped repetition.)

        =====
        Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
        Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
        Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
        ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Andrew Sydlik
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 20, 2004
          The complexity of this story makes it hard to pin it down to one
          interpretation. While I think the horror associated with beauracracy
          is an aspect at least in part of the story and some of Kafka's other
          works, I think the politically minded readings of today have
          overshadowed the true depth of Kafka's writing. What interests me most
          is the exploration of the human psyche, of universal human problems.

          Some may be surprised that anyone would view Kafka's stories as being
          about "repressed homosexuality," but I've seen it. A reviewer on
          Amazon talked about this, saying that in particular the apple thrown
          into Gregor's posterior is a blatant proof of it. This is another
          unfortunate result of our age, to tack on readings for the text that
          have no basis in my opinion.

          I don't think there's any benefit from arguing that Gregor's
          transformation was not a literal one. Whether he actually did turn
          into a "gigantic vermin" or not, it is obvious that his change has
          metaphorical implications, so either way, something else than a
          physical change is going on. What is interesting is to wonder exactly
          how much Gregor actually "changes." He seems to want to go on as if
          things were normal, trying to get to work and not thinking his change
          at first would mean much deviation from his normal routine. Yet I
          think the change probably has more to do with a revelation of how he
          really views himself and of how the world views him. He must have been
          suppressing these ideas for years, perhaps his whole life, and even
          though at first he still tries to go on as he always did, his mind
          must have started to change also, to finally open itself up to the
          terrible insignificance of everything he's ever experienced.

          --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "jaimejwilson2000"