Gregor REALLY a bug?

  • jaimejwilson2000
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 13, 2004
      How does one really know that Gregor is actually a bug? It says he
      feels like a bug... but perhaps a mental illness only makes himself
      think or feel he is a bug.
      Evidence to support this claim is the fact that his parents hardly
      react to what has supposedly happened to Gregor...Everyone seems very
      calm considering the circumstances, even gregor himself!
      Perhaps being a bug is a metaphor for how he feels, and resides only
      in his mental state not his actual physical state. To the world he
      appears as Gregor the human, just a depressed, mentally ill version
      of whom his family is ashamed... Mental illness was certainly taboo
      at this time when the story was written...
    • Cady godess
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 17, 2004
        I think he is definately really a bug. He talks about
        scurring on cielings and also his mother reacts badly
        to her first sight of him after the transformation.
        The other thing is that one of the physical causes of
        his death is an apple that is thrown at him. That
        would not kill a human. Also if he is not really a bug
        why remove all his furniture.

        Amy

        --- jaimejwilson2000 <jaimej_wilson@...>
        wrote:
        > How does one really know that Gregor is actually a
        > bug? It says he
        > feels like a bug... but perhaps a mental illness
        > only makes himself
        > think or feel he is a bug.
        > Evidence to support this claim is the fact that his
        > parents hardly
        > react to what has supposedly happened to
        > Gregor...Everyone seems very
        > calm considering the circumstances, even gregor
        > himself!
        > Perhaps being a bug is a metaphor for how he feels,
        > and resides only
        > in his mental state not his actual physical state.
        > To the world he
        > appears as Gregor the human, just a depressed,
        > mentally ill version
        > of whom his family is ashamed... Mental illness was
        > certainly taboo
        > at this time when the story was written...

        =====
        Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
        Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
        Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
        ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Leslie Connors
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 17, 2004
          It is the disgust and revulsion Gregor Samsa experiences when he has the epiphany he is trapped- physically, mentally and spiritually by a bureaucratic structure. This bureaucratic hierarchy is reflected in his home life, and his mother is actually chiding him for any deviance she perceives he has made from this structure. He has become what society has exhorted him to, and is now a lifeless drone that has no voice. He has no true mother, cannot enjoy sensual pleasures (thus the apple with its Biblical connotation is a powerful metaphor) and his aesthetic sense is no longer available, thus there is no furniture. Got that?
          Leslie

          wrote:
          > How does one really know that Gregor is actually a
          > bug? It says he
          > feels like a bug... but perhaps a mental illness
          > only makes himself
          > think or feel he is a bug.
          > Evidence to support this claim is the fact that his
          > parents hardly
          > react to what has supposedly happened to
          > Gregor...Everyone seems very
          > calm considering the circumstances, even gregor
          > himself!
          > Perhaps being a bug is a metaphor for how he feels,
          > and resides only
          > in his mental state not his actual physical state.
          > To the world he
          > appears as Gregor the human, just a depressed,
          > mentally ill version
          > of whom his family is ashamed... Mental illness was
          > certainly taboo
          > at this time when the story was written...

          =====
          Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
          Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
          Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
          ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Maria Triantafillou
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
            I believe you're not thinking metaphorically and all of kafka's work is
            certainly metaphores, ways of telling rather common but important thing in a
            strange and interesting story....

            Thoughts?

            P.S. Hello to all of you out there!! Long- time reader, but never posted.
            Maria Triantafillou
            martr@...
            > I think he is definately really a bug. He talks about
            > scurring on cielings and also his mother reacts badly
            > to her first sight of him after the transformation.
            > The other thing is that one of the physical causes of
            > his death is an apple that is thrown at him. That
            > would not kill a human. Also if he is not really a bug
            > why remove all his furniture.
            >
            > Amy
            >
            > --- jaimejwilson2000 <jaimej_wilson@...>
            > wrote:
            > > How does one really know that Gregor is actually a
            > > bug? It says he
            > > feels like a bug... but perhaps a mental illness
            > > only makes himself
            > > think or feel he is a bug.
            > > Evidence to support this claim is the fact that his
            > > parents hardly
            > > react to what has supposedly happened to
            > > Gregor...Everyone seems very
            > > calm considering the circumstances, even gregor
            > > himself!
            > > Perhaps being a bug is a metaphor for how he feels,
            > > and resides only
            > > in his mental state not his actual physical state.
            > > To the world he
            > > appears as Gregor the human, just a depressed,
            > > mentally ill version
            > > of whom his family is ashamed... Mental illness was
            > > certainly taboo
            > > at this time when the story was written...
            > >

            > =====
            > Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
            > Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
            > Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
            > ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

          • Priya Subramaniam
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
              i don't think that you can apply ordinary standards of storytelling to
              kafka's works. ie, it's not either "metaphorical" or "literal"- rather, it
              is both at the same time- it's up to the reader to think about it and decide
              (if possible- I know that I am still unsure about 'metamorphosis'!)

              > I think he is definately really a bug. He talks about
              > scurring on cielings and also his mother reacts badly
              > to her first sight of him after the transformation.
              > The other thing is that one of the physical causes of
              > his death is an apple that is thrown at him. That
              > would not kill a human. Also if he is not really a bug
              > why remove all his furniture.
              >
              > Amy
              >
              > --- jaimejwilson2000 <jaimej_wilson@...>
              > wrote:
              > > How does one really know that Gregor is actually a
              > > bug? It says he
              > > feels like a bug... but perhaps a mental illness
              > > only makes himself
              > > think or feel he is a bug.
              > > Evidence to support this claim is the fact that his
              > > parents hardly
              > > react to what has supposedly happened to
              > > Gregor...Everyone seems very
              > > calm considering the circumstances, even gregor
              > > himself!
              > > Perhaps being a bug is a metaphor for how he feels,
              > > and resides only
              > > in his mental state not his actual physical state.
              > > To the world he
              > > appears as Gregor the human, just a depressed,
              > > mentally ill version
              > > of whom his family is ashamed... Mental illness was
              > > certainly taboo
              > > at this time when the story was written...
              > >

              > =====
              > Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
              > Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
              > Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
              > ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

              Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
              http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2
            • Cady godess
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 22, 2004
                Yes, well part of what I love about Kafka is the
                surreal quality. I like that Gregor actaully turns
                into a bug. I think that adds to the beauty of his
                story telling.

                --- Priya Subramaniam <liminalspace@...>
                wrote:

                > i don't think that you can apply ordinary standards
                > of storytelling to
                > kafka's works. ie, it's not either "metaphorical" or
                > "literal"- rather, it
                > is both at the same time- it's up to the reader to
                > think about it and decide
                > (if possible- I know that I am still unsure about
                > 'metamorphosis'!)

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
              • Leslie Connors
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 22, 2004
                  Surreal directly implies a dream state, thus Gregor is in the opiated environ of the bureaucracy. To believe he actually was a bug is rather concrete.
                  Leslie

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 26, 2004
                    I think that it is impossible to say that a human
                    turning into a bug is concrete. I have never known
                    anyone to turn into a bug.

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 26, 2004
                      Cady, you're a bright person, look at your response. You made my point for me.
                      Leslie

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 27, 2004
                        Something can be written in a concrete, or literal,
                        context, without actually having happened in real
                        life.

                        There's nothing in the text itself that implies the
                        transformation is "surreal" or "a dream." Kafka often
                        writes about things happening that don't happen in
                        real life (as far as we know), and these events are
                        symbolic, but to be a symbol, something must first be
                        the thing it is before it can be what it symbolizes.
                        Kafka's style is very dry, mundane, and unadorned, I
                        think that's because he wanted the events to seem more
                        believable. When something is surreal, there is an
                        ambiguity as to what's happening, what's being
                        represented. Kafka's writing isn't like that at all.
                        It's mundane, clear, and precise. Think of painting.
                        Salvador Dali is surrealist. Kafka would be more like
                        the modernist painting of the fall of Icarus; the
                        majority of the painting is taken up by workers
                        plowing in a field, showing everyday activities, and
                        in the background, there's a little figure falling
                        from the sky, barely noticable. This is more Kafka's
                        style to me.

                        How can the story go on after Gregor is dead if he's
                        dreaming it? Also, if it's a dream, why is it told
                        through 3rd person? There's a difference between
                        soemthing having metaphorical implications, and
                        actually being a metaphor.

                        I actually think it's important that Gregor's
                        metamorphosis is a literal one. If his change is just
                        a dream, then the whole story is a kind of "trick,"
                        and nothing significant is really coming from the
                        change. However, if it is a literal change, then there
                        is a definite revelation going on, to Gregor and to
                        the people around him.

                        Andrew

                        =====
                        For the most part the phenomenology of the world is a nightmarish excrescence.

                        All these buildings. What did Talbert want to do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

                        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
                      • Cady godess
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 29, 2004
                          Very interesting.

                          --- Putrescent Stench of Death
                          <putrescent_stench@...> wrote:
                          > Something can be written in a concrete, or literal,
                          > context, without actually having happened in real
                          > life.
                          >
                          > There's nothing in the text itself that implies the
                          > transformation is "surreal" or "a dream." Kafka
                          > often
                          > writes about things happening that don't happen in
                          > real life (as far as we know), and these events are
                          > symbolic, but to be a symbol, something must first
                          > be
                          > the thing it is before it can be what it symbolizes.
                          > Kafka's style is very dry, mundane, and unadorned, I
                          > think that's because he wanted the events to seem
                          > more
                          > believable. When something is surreal, there is an
                          > ambiguity as to what's happening, what's being
                          > represented. Kafka's writing isn't like that at all.
                          > It's mundane, clear, and precise. Think of painting.
                          > Salvador Dali is surrealist. Kafka would be more
                          > like
                          > the modernist painting of the fall of Icarus; the
                          > majority of the painting is taken up by workers
                          > plowing in a field, showing everyday activities, and
                          > in the background, there's a little figure falling
                          > from the sky, barely noticable. This is more Kafka's
                          > style to me.
                          >
                          > How can the story go on after Gregor is dead if he's
                          > dreaming it? Also, if it's a dream, why is it told
                          > through 3rd person? There's a difference between
                          > soemthing having metaphorical implications, and
                          > actually being a metaphor.
                          >
                          > I actually think it's important that Gregor's
                          > metamorphosis is a literal one. If his change is
                          > just
                          > a dream, then the whole story is a kind of "trick,"
                          > and nothing significant is really coming from the
                          > change. However, if it is a literal change, then
                          > there
                          > is a definite revelation going on, to Gregor and to
                          > the people around him.
                          >
                          > Andrew
                          >
                          > =====
                          > For the most part the phenomenology of the world is
                          > a nightmarish excrescence.
                          >

                          > All these buildings. What did Talbert want to
                          > do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

                          > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool.
                          > Try it!
                          > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

                          =====
                          Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
                          Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
                          Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
                          ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                        • Mykel
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 4, 2004
                            it's has been said that maybe Gregor was dead from the start, that
                            in fact the metamorphosis in itself is "DEATH" that DEATH is the
                            final form.

                            In my mind as I read the metamorphisis . I noticed that this
                            metamorphisis doesn't take place EVER. if GREGOR is a BUG when he
                            awakes. We as the reader never SEE ANY METAMORPHOSIS?... however we
                            do witness the family metamorphosis. Right in front of our eyes...
                            they change constantly. The story continues after Gregor dies from
                            an apple wound... because the metamorphosis has yet to be
                            witnessed... Specially the sister who goes from young girl who in
                            the beginning is CRYING while Gregor's boss comes to check up on
                            him... to WORKING WOMEN.. worthy to be married off.

                            --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, Cady godess <cady_godess@y...>