The Metamorphosis

  • jaimejwilson2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
      Im curious as to how you interpret Kafka,s "The Metamorphosis"....
      Do you see it as....
      1) mental illness (depression)
      2) alientation / isoloate
      3) imprisonment
      4) homosexuality

      ? Im just curious as to how others interpret this piece....
    • Leslie Connors
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
        The nuclear family in a rigid, stereotyped Western framework.
        Im curious as to how you interpret Kafka,s "The Metamorphosis"....
        Do you see it as....
        1) mental illness (depression)
        2) alientation / isoloate
        3) imprisonment
        4) homosexuality

        ? Im just curious as to how others interpret this piece....

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Cady godess
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
          Wow I would love to see how someone would justify
          homosexuality. I persoanlly think it is the first two
          combined.

          --- jaimejwilson2000 <jaimej_wilson@...>
          wrote:
          > Im curious as to how you interpret Kafka,s "The
          > Metamorphosis"....
          > Do you see it as....
          > 1) mental illness (depression)
          > 2) alientation / isoloate
          > 3) imprisonment
          > 4) homosexuality
          >
          > ? Im just curious as to how others interpret this
          > piece....

          =====
          Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
          Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
          Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
          ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Cady godess
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
            See I thought it was more a search for food
            (nourishment) for the soul. He can find nothing to eat
            untilthe beautiful music nad then he is denied that
            too and so he starves to death

            =====

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
              The ultimate thing that Kafka expresses through Gregor Samsa is the denial
              of the lifeforce by Western European society, in particular the nuclear
              family, thus he has become a "dung beetle", a drone, who can no longer find
              sustenance in anything human, including music.

              Kafka himself had a notoriously strained relationship with his father, was
              an unhappy bureaucrat (I'd like to find a happy one!), and this is reflected
              in this story.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2004
                I agree with Leslie's interpretation. Kafka seems to comment alot on
                the terror of beureacracy in his writings, and this theme is
                particularily expressed in "the metamorphosis". Gregor seems
                depressed in his job and by the stress put upon him to support his
                exploitative family. His response to such a sad, alienated life is to
                turn in to a bug...a small, insignifigant often forgotten about
                creature that is looked upon as being dirty and inferior... they very
                way in which Gregor feels over the burden of his uncompassionate and
                unloving family which he works so hard to support...

                Any other comments...? How would you support the interpretaion of the
                metamorphosis being mental illness...Depression?

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17, 2004
                  Well I think part of problem maybe that you have to
                  define depression. You used the word sad which to me
                  is just a lesser form of depression.

                  =====
                  Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
                  Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
                  Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
                  ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Leslie Connors
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 17, 2004
                    He is Everyman- depression is irrevalent, since no one can be livin' la vida loca in a bureaucratic structure. Powerless, of course, and this would internalize as depression, but not mental illness, because it is a natural reaction to a foreign imposition (hierarchy/bureaucracy and the resultant distancing of one experiences from one's life essence due to stereotyped repetition.)

                    =====
                    Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
                    Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
                    Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
                    ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Andrew Sydlik
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 20, 2004
                      The complexity of this story makes it hard to pin it down to one
                      interpretation. While I think the horror associated with beauracracy
                      is an aspect at least in part of the story and some of Kafka's other
                      works, I think the politically minded readings of today have
                      overshadowed the true depth of Kafka's writing. What interests me most
                      is the exploration of the human psyche, of universal human problems.

                      Some may be surprised that anyone would view Kafka's stories as being
                      about "repressed homosexuality," but I've seen it. A reviewer on
                      Amazon talked about this, saying that in particular the apple thrown
                      into Gregor's posterior is a blatant proof of it. This is another
                      unfortunate result of our age, to tack on readings for the text that
                      have no basis in my opinion.

                      I don't think there's any benefit from arguing that Gregor's
                      transformation was not a literal one. Whether he actually did turn
                      into a "gigantic vermin" or not, it is obvious that his change has
                      metaphorical implications, so either way, something else than a
                      physical change is going on. What is interesting is to wonder exactly
                      how much Gregor actually "changes." He seems to want to go on as if
                      things were normal, trying to get to work and not thinking his change
                      at first would mean much deviation from his normal routine. Yet I
                      think the change probably has more to do with a revelation of how he
                      really views himself and of how the world views him. He must have been
                      suppressing these ideas for years, perhaps his whole life, and even
                      though at first he still tries to go on as he always did, his mind
                      must have started to change also, to finally open itself up to the
                      terrible insignificance of everything he's ever experienced.

                      --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "jaimejwilson2000"