The trial ???

  • jenna_dw
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      I have been studying Kafka's The trial as part of an English Lit
      module and I have been coping with it quite well as I was very
      unsure of it in the beginning, as I had read so many conflicting
      interruptations and ideas.

      What I am wondering is if anyone who has read the book a couple of
      times( which i intend to do again in the future) or done an indepth
      study of Kafka's work could tell me if they feel that Kafka took the
      reader on an imaginative journey throughout Josef K entire story.
      Part of my study is to explore other readers feelings on the journey
      experienced.

      Any input would be greatly appreciated.

      I must say that Kafka's work in this book has had me thinking and
      exploring many different ideals and concepts.

      I have really enjoyed it and so glad to be introduced to Kafka's
      work

      Jenna
    • Priya Subramaniam
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2004
        I thought that The Trial was an exploration (an imaginative journey, if you
        like) of a society in which conformity is compulsory and in which a person
        can be arrested and "tried" (K didn't get a fair trial either!) without ever
        really knowing what it is that he has done wrong. What is really chilling is
        that K is not on the surface a "rebel" or a "deviant"- in fact, he is unable
        to think what it is that he could have done wrong! Conformity does not have
        to follow set criteria either- how many of us have had the experience of not
        wanting to associate with someone (or someone not wanting to associate with
        you) but not being able to pinpoint an exact reason other than that they are
        not "in" or that they are "weird", etc.
        I have to sign off, but I hope that the above is helpful.

[...]

        We've 100s of NEW questions! Play Millionaire online to win $$$$. Click here
        http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/millionaire/default.asp
      • Cady godess
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
          When we studied Kafka's trial in my calss we dicsussed
          the trial as being symbolical of the inevetable death
          we all face. We are all on trial all the time. We just
          dont know it. Its a great book you should look into
          some of his other work.
          Does that help?

          --- Priya Subramaniam <liminalspace@...>
          wrote:
          > I thought that The Trial was an exploration (an
          > imaginative journey, if you
          > like) of a society in which conformity is compulsory
          > and in which a person
          > can be arrested and "tried" (K didn't get a fair
          > trial either!) without ever
          > really knowing what it is that he has done wrong.
          > What is really chilling is
          > that K is not on the surface a "rebel" or a
          > "deviant"- in fact, he is unable
          > to think what it is that he could have done wrong!
          > Conformity does not have
          > to follow set criteria either- how many of us have
          > had the experience of not
          > wanting to associate with someone (or someone not
          > wanting to associate with
          > you) but not being able to pinpoint an exact reason
          > other than that they are
          > not "in" or that they are "weird", etc.
          > I have to sign off, but I hope that the above is
          > helpful.

          =====
          Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
          Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
          Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
          ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • jenna_dw
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
            Hi everyone,

            Just wanted to thank you for your input into my post regarding "The
            Trial". It was most helpful and I am pleased to find the group is
            willing to help out others as Kafka's work is obviously very indepth
            and any insight or opinions from anyone else can surely only open
            possibly new undiscovered ideas and concepts.

            Can anyone tell me is they think Josef K actually made any new
            discoveries during his journey. I have to look at the discoveries,
            goals and challenges that he faced.

            Anyway thanks so much for all your help

            Jenna

            --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, Cady godess <cady_godess@y...>

          • Cady godess
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17, 2004
              I think the discover he made was to accept his fate.

              =====

              http://mail.yahoo.com