Re: [kafka-list] Kafkaesque Movies

  • Cady godess
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
      Have you seen the newer more updated version of The
      Trail. It has Anthony Hopkins in it and is almost the
      book exactly.

      --- eu_main <eu_main@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I just joined this group and would like to share my
      > favourite
      > kafkaesque movies with you:
      >
      > "The Trial", a B&W wonder from the fifties or so,
      > directed by Mr
      > Orson Wells, and starred by Anthony Perkins.
      >
      > "The Audience", a funny Italian movie from the
      > sixties/seventies
      > about an Italian country side man who goes to the
      > Vatican with the
      > only purpose of having a meeting with the Pope to
      > discuss an
      > important matter. He waits for days at the door of
      > the Pope�s
      > office, days that become weeks, and weeks that
      > become years. During
      > this patience exercise he will meet a wonderful
      > woman, will have
      > children but will continue dedicated to pursue his
      > vital goal.
      > Probably Italy�s top actor, Vittorio Gassman is the
      > protagonist, his
      > partner is nice and friendly Monica Vitti.
      >
      > "Brazil", just the most Kafkaesque of all movies
      > that I have ever
      > seen. Set in a nightmirish future, Jonathan Price
      > tries to make his
      > dreams become true in bureaucratic existence. This
      > movie was
      > directed by Terry Gilliam (Monty Python) in 1982 and
      > has an
      > excellent soundtrack.
      >
      > "I hired a contract killer", set in London in the
      > 1990�s and
      > directed by Finnish Aki Kaurismaki, this movie is
      > the funniest of
      > the Kafkaesque commedies about one of those moments
      > that we all fear
      > because after them Death can come some other day:
      > Being asked by
      > your manager to accept early retirement. The movie
      > was shot in Black
      > and White annd it inspired Cohen Brother�s "The Man
      > Who Wasn�t
      > There".
      >
      > "Kafka" is an interesting movie. Jeremy Irons plays
      > Kafka both as
      > Kafka himself and as the actor of Kafka�s works. The
      > result is just
      > awesome, in which Kafka�s life is interwoven with
      > bureacracy, fears,
      > threats and anxiety.
      >

      > Those above are my favourite movies inspired by our
      > favourite
      > author. I am sure that the other members of this
      > group will help me
      > enrich it.
      >
      > Best regards!
      >

      > Eu.
      > P.S. I just moved to Brussels, and I found by chance
      > a bar
      > called "Kafka". In case you pass by, it is behind
      > the UGC cinemas at
      > Brouckerie.

      =====
      Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
      Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
      Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
      ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com